Moving to TN....suburb or urban?

urbanmamma

Not yet, Dave.

We're originally from Kentucky....about an hour-and-a-half from Nashville.

Living in Colorado now; but looking to moving to the Nashville area in a few weeks ~ lots of great info here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

go urban, suburbia is boring. just thinking about it makes me want to take a nap

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go suburban. You won't be able to take a nap downtown or in East Nashville becuase of the gun shots, alarms and sirens.

I hear that....yeah I'm rather skittish about those loud, explosive noises, too!

Guess I'll go the Ward & June Cleaver route, I'll take boring, humdrum and SAFE anyday over "exciting."

(Got chillun.)

BTW, Daddy YO, your name sounds familiar..............

:D

Go suburban.  You won't be able to take a nap downtown or in East Nashville becuase of the gun shots, alarms and sirens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gun shots downtown? Since when? Unless you call Germantown downtown...there aren't many shootings downtown...maybe muggings, but not shootings. And like I said, not all of East Nashville is crime-ridden...mainly the parts out by the projects. You just have to pick your spots.

Go suburban.  You won't be able to take a nap downtown or in East Nashville becuase of the gun shots, alarms and sirens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i've never heard any gunshots in downtown or east nashville. and i actually hear more alarms and sirens in brentwood than i do anywhere else.

If it's suburban you want, try LaVergne.

PM poster DallasTexan for more information.  He's from there, yet to his regret had to move to Birmingham.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....LaVergne. I would rather live on Jefferson St...at least there would be character! :thumbsup:

Guess I'll go the Ward & June Cleaver route, I'll take boring, humdrum and SAFE anyday over "exciting."

(Got chillun.)

You won't find the suburbs boring or humdrum. Nashville is totaly connected by a system of roads. You go to East Nashville or downtown anytime you want without having to live there.

BTW, Daddy YO, your name sounds familiar..............

I do get around on the web. Colorado? Any mountainboarding connections there?

Any connections to skateboarding?

You won't find the suburbs boring or humdrum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They have no character...the new neighborhoods that they build all look the same, have the same styles, the same characteristics. The only places that I would choose to live in the suburbs would be old city Franklin or Murfreesboro (or anywhere in Davidson county on the south side...Green Hills, Oak Hill, Belle Meade, etc).

The burbs just aren't as exciting or colorful.

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys - you will never believe it but I'm back! We have been in the moving/storage/no computer process for almost 3months now -wow! ;) Pretty tiring!

We made it for a visit and interview to Nashville and DH got the job!! We LOVED what we saw - not Seattle for sure and there is a bunch I am going to miss, but we are so excited for a new city and all that Nashville has to offer!! I must say, all your great input helped a ton and I took all the info you gave me with us - thanks again! I actually felt as though I had some direction : )

I must say - we fell absolutely in love with the West End area...near Belmont/Lipscomb?? zip 37204 I think?? Reading back I noticed this was an area people really loved and it now helps to know the area visually :thumbsup: We are pretty sure we are going to buy in that area but I had a few more follow up ques now that I can see things in my brain!

I would love to know more thoughts on how the West Meade area compares to the Lipscomb/Belmont/Hillsboro area - we liked West Meade a lot but for some reason really loved the other more?? Since we don't know either really well, I would love your thoughts on this. Also - DH's job will be near the Metro Center - if we do a suburb, we may look into Hendersonville but when I map it, it says it is anywhere from 17-25miles -about 30-40min depending etc.... commute is a big deal to us and that is why an area like Franklin is being ruled out. We liked Franklin, but not like we loved the homes/atmosphere closer into downtown :wub: Just curious I guess on a commute from Hendersonville to the metro center area?? (That was one town we didn't get the chance to see but will soon)

oh...and any idea what the zip is in/around Nippers Corner? (we were at a "corner" for dinner one night near Brentwood I am wondering if that is Nippers Corner - a Mexican Restaurant called Mazatlan?? ) Trying to get my bearings once again :blush:

Thanks again, guys!! you made this process SO much easier!! hopefully I will be able to get back online a bit more!!

Well guys - you will never believe it but I'm back! We have been in the moving/storage/no computer process for almost 3months now -wow!  ;) Pretty tiring!

We made it for a visit and interview to Nashville and DH got the job!! We LOVED what we saw - not Seattle for sure and there is a bunch I am going to miss, but we are so excited for a new city and all that Nashville has to offer!! I must say, all your great input helped a ton and I took all the info you gave me with us - thanks again! I actually felt as though I had some direction : )

I must say - we fell absolutely in love with the West End area...near Belmont/Lipscomb?? zip 37204 I think?? Reading back I noticed this was an area people really loved and it now helps to know the area visually  :thumbsup:  We are pretty sure we are going to buy in that area but I had a few more follow up ques now that I can see things in my brain!

I would love to know more thoughts on how the West Meade area compares to the Lipscomb/Belmont/Hillsboro area - we liked West Meade a lot but for some reason really loved the other more?? Since we don't know either really well, I would love your thoughts on this. Also - DH's job will be near the Metro Center - if we do a suburb, we may look into Hendersonville but when I map it, it says it is anywhere from 17-25miles -about 30-40min depending etc.... commute is a big deal to us and that is why an area like Franklin is being ruled out. We liked Franklin, but not like we loved the homes/atmosphere closer into downtown  :wub:  Just curious I guess on a commute from Hendersonville to the metro center area?? (That was one town we didn't get the chance to see but will soon)

oh...and any idea what the zip is in/around Nippers Corner? (we were at a "corner" for dinner one night near Brentwood I am wondering if that is Nippers Corner - a Mexican Restaurant called Mazatlan?? ) Trying to get my bearings once again  :blush:

Thanks again, guys!! you made this process SO much easier!! hopefully I will be able to get back online a bit more!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the zip in the nipper's area is 37211. the corner you were at wasn't nippers. mazatlan is in brentwood, which is in williamson county (but just barely). if you ever get to nippers corner, you'll see a mexican restaurant called las palmas. it's just like mazatlan. nipper's corner is really close to where you were though. glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself!

oh...and any idea what the zip is in/around Nippers Corner? (we were at a "corner" for dinner one night near Brentwood I am wondering if that is Nippers Corner - a Mexican Restaurant called Mazatlan?? ) Trying to get my bearings once again  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, my neck of the woods....I eat there all the time...cheap and fast. :blush:

Nope...not Nippers Corner. :) Actually, near where Mazatlan is located is called is actually near Nobles Corner (of course, if you asked a random Nashvillian where Nobles Corner was, maybe 0.005% could tell you :D )

Nobles Corner = Old Hickory Blvd @ Franklin Road

Nippers Corner = Old Hickory Blvd @ Edmonson Pike

Nippers Corner is where 37027 meets 37211 (Nashville's most populated zipcode)

The zipcode in that area, both Davidson and Williamson counties, is 37027. The population split is probably about 55-45% Williamson to Davidson Counties. If you happen to look for a house out there, I would encourage you to get off of the main street and look at some of the older or more unique houses (not the cookie cutters that are becoming all too common in the area). You might try Hill Rd(which is right before Nippers Corner off of Old Hickory Blvd) or the Copperfield subdivision (across from Hill Rd) or some of the older developements off of Cloverland Dr (which runs parallel to Old Hickory Blvd, south of Nippers Corner). There are also some decent areas around Trousdale or Creve Hall, but they are mostly mundane ranch stlye houses.

Also, you might check out some houses on Franklin Road in Oak Hill (decent sized houses, nice big yards, very very very safe neighborhood) or off of Granny White Pike (12th Ave S in the city) in Forest Hills (the Otter Creek area is gorgeous). Drive down Lealand Lane (10th Ave S), Glendale Lane, Battery Lane, Shackleford, Belmont Blvd, and Lone Oak Dr...near by is David Lipscomb University...it's nestled in a nice little area between Green Hills and Oak Hill...not too far from the city, but it would take a lil while to make your way to Metrocenter. Schools are good in this area. The houses are more historic as you get closer to town, but the area isnt quite as nice.

Honestly, if you like to be close to shopping, restaurants, and conveniences, Green Hills is hard to beat. The library, post office, Mall, movie theatre, and YMCA are all close by...as well as many trendy shops and restaurants and Davis Kidd Booksellers (if you like books, you'll HAVE to go here).

If you want a more historic feel, it's hard to beat the Music Row area (17th and 16th Ave's...extending towards Vanderbilt and Belmont), but it might cost you a bit....plus, traffic will be going by constantly.

Keep us updated on where you decide...and if you need more help, we're always here! :thumbsup:

thanks guys! Those areas that were mentioned near lipscomb/vanderbilt is exactly where we are looking - great!! Good to know that is a good area :thumbsup:

okay - I was doing some searching and was wondering what was up with areas like these? LOVE these homes but why are they so much less? Are these bad areas/schools etc?? Would love as much info as you guys think - this can be so nerve-wracking 2000miles away!! I really don't want to feel as though we are far away from everything as we love to be close to things and location is big to us. just curious....

719 McMurray Dr

Nashville, TN 37211

3123 Kinross Av - Nashville, TN 37211

308 Lynn Dr - Nashville, TN 37211

thanks again!

I lived in that very area for several years. In fact I went to McMurray Middle school way back when. It's right off of McMurray Drive. As far as the schools in that area are concerned they are pretty good. Granberry elementary (which much of the area is zoned for) is one of the better elementary schools in the city. Overall its a very good area with great people. This area is very close to Nipper's Corner, which has come up several times on this thread. Don't be mislead though, Nipper's Corner is nothing more than several stores and restaurants that surround the intersection of two major roads.

The area is made up of houses that are 30-40 years old along with some very recently built homes/subdivisions. It certainly is suburban though so it might not be the urban environment you are looking for.

Hendersonville is actually closer than Franklin and about the same distance as Brentwood. It is also serviced by a by-pass (386) making all areas of the city, and soon Gallatin, only 5 minutes from I-65. After getting on I-65 it is about 15-20 minutes to downtown Nashville.

Another thing to remember is that when I-65 construction is complete (pretty soon) Hendersonvillians/Goodlettsvillians will have the quickest commute into downtown of the out-of-county suburbs.

thanks guys! Always great info!!

I think I am still leaning more towards the lipscomb area etc...loved how close everything was and the atmosphere - still can't get over how many cool areas Nashville had!! You guys have a great city :thumbsup:

Thanks also for the Hendersonville info - I am going to take a drive out when we get down there and see how we feel about that area as well. We met several people that just loved it out there and felt that it was worth the extra 10-15min of a commute. We'll see! Not too big on commuting after fighting traffic up here for so many yrs!

719 McMurray Dr

Nashville, TN 37211

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that house is right down the street from where i live :D it's a nice quiet neighborhood. i've lived here for 20 years and don't ever remember anything bad happening. the schools are pretty good too. i also went to granberry and mcmurray middle school. btw, i think my parents are fixing to move out of this house (i'm moving to murfreesboro) and plan to leave for brentwood or franklin. i'll let ya know whenever they put it on the market. :D

Hendersonville is actually closer than Franklin and about the same distance as Brentwood.  It is also serviced by a by-pass (386) making all areas of the city, and soon Gallatin, only 5 minutes from I-65.  After getting on I-65 it is about 15-20 minutes to downtown Nashville.

Another thing to remember is that when I-65 construction is complete (pretty soon) Hendersonvillians/Goodlettsvillians will have the quickest commute into downtown  of the out-of-county suburbs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um....I take that route quite often...even when the construction is completed, Hendersonville is nowhere as close as a commute as Brentwood. Remember, I-65 bisects Brentwood....TN 386 is well north of Hendersonville and there is a much larger 1 way traffic flow there. I-65 South rarely backs up...North is crap. It was before construction started, I doubt it will be a lot better after...because people on that side of town drive like maniacs! :wacko:

My dad works in Gallatin...he tells me about getting stuck in traffic up there a lot, even though he is going opposite of the main flow. Gallatin is still a looooooong way away from town.

**Not to say that those areas are not great places to live!

65? Complete in 2016...or at least that's the way it seems. I use it a lot and will be happy when it's finished. An optimistic guess is by the end of the year...but then TDOT still has to so the segment connecting the new road from Dickerson to the 65/40 split. That's pretty short and probably won't take too long.

I believe the road is to be 5 lanes each way from the split to Vietnam Veterans with 6 and 7 lanes at the Briley and Old Hickory interchanges. Whatever it turns out to be, that's one heck of a lot of concrete! It is by far the largest feeway in town.

And rocket, don't get upset, but nashvol is right, Sumner County drivers are somewhat maniacal. Blondes in huge SUVs driving to fast...and chatting on the phone. A way too common sight. lol

And rocket, don't get upset, but nashvol is right, Sumner County drivers are somewhat maniacal. Blondes in huge SUVs driving to fast...and chatting on the phone. A way too common sight. lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will agree to that...but they, unfortunately, stay in the city more...

Archived