Cadillac Square and Yzerman Mural

Brother Ray

The bus terminals/shelters located in Cadillac Square are being torn down today. So happy to see them go. There is no new information on the Campus Martius web site about when this area will be developed into an adjourning park, but I know it's in the plans.

Also, the Steve Yzerman mural on the Cadillac Building was painted over yesterday (well, half of it anyway) and it is now all white. Word around the office is that they will have something related to the MLB All Star Game and the Super Bowl put up there. Hate to see The Captain go......

Ray

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, when I was down there on Saturday I noticed the cart thingy hanging off the building and was wondering if they were going to paint something different. Now we know!

Also, Capitol Park is now the temporary bus terminal area due to the Cadillac square closure right? We walked through there on Saturday and boy was that place nasty! Oh the smell of urine. I can't wait for the new one to be built.

• 1 month later...

I heard on WDET this morning that GM has purchased the rights to advertise on Cadillac Tower (I guess since the Broderick idea was shot down in a blaze). They are planning on painting an ad for the new Pontiacs and it is supposed to be done in time for the all start game.

Personally, I think this sucks! I have no problem with it being an advertisement, but this thing sounds like a giant billboard. I really like how the others were done, including the Rebok proposal for Broderick, which it more of a tribute and the advertiser places their logo indiscrimiantly elsewhere.

For some reason advertisments don't bother me. If you look at old photos of Detroit (or any other big city for that matter) there are giant advertisments on the sides of many large buildings. I suppose I have just come to accept it as part of city living, and just ignore them. When my uncle lived in downtown Grand Rapids, his living room wall had part of an old advertisment that used to be on side of the adjacent building before his building was constructed. It was actually pretty cool to have it there. It took up the entire 10 foot tall by 30 foot long wall.

Archived