New member here, hoping to add value

BostonGal

Hi!

I've been lurking around for a couple weeks, finally decided to join in on the fun. I stumbled upon the site while Googling for facts about certain future plans, and when I found this, a huge sigh of relief came over me.

What a great board, with so much helpful information!

Little bit about me: I grew up in CT, moved to the Boston area about 6 years ago. In that time, I've basically lived or worked in every part of the city and immediate suburbs. I love my home! I currently work by South Station, and recently bought a loft in the Leather District, hence my interest - aka obsession! - with future developments for the city.

I just wanted to pop in and say hi, and thank you all for contributing. I think it's great that so many of you don't even live here but have so much interest in the city. I hope to be around to participate more often.

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember years and years ago people were talking about the Leather District, specifically South Street, becoming the new Newbury Street. Looks like that may finally be starting to happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps.... But that would just furhter gentrify nearby Chinatown. I'm afraid Chinatown will not exist in 10 or 20 years. Would that be considered progress, or the dissolution of an important cultural enclave?

I'm afraid its inevitable.

Perhaps.... But that would just furhter gentrify nearby Chinatown.  I'm afraid Chinatown will not exist in 10 or 20 years.  Would that be considered progress, or the dissolution of an important cultural enclave?

I'm afraid its inevitable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not inevitable if the city stops the developments.

I have the same fear, and losing Chinatown would be horrible.

• 2 weeks later...

Been away for the last week or so, out of the loop...

The lofts I will be in are right off South Street - the Chinatown gates are right around the corner, once you cross Surface.

With all I have read about and researched, I honestly don't think Chinatown will go anywhere. Sure, it may get cleaned up a bit with the Greenway starting there, but I don't think (nor do I hope) for developers to get in there.

I am ecstatic to be back in the city, right in the middle of the hustle and bustle. South Street is coming around, with Les Zyg and Sorriso and a couple of cafes, but it's got a loooooong way before becoming a competitor for Newbury St! And to be honest, after living there for 2 years, I'm not sure I'd want South St to be its competitor! I remember hearing about the Leather District when I first moved here and thought: wow, that's cool, but I don't know how safe I'd feel, etc..

With all those old factories that were just sitting there getting converted, I have no doubt that I'll feel safe. It will soon be an area with lots of people, rather than being deserted and sketchy.

So much construction going on around here - Leather District, South Station, Fort Point - it's so exciting. Only if my patience would keep in check :D

Hello? Does anyone realize that the new ritz hotel/condo towers is in the nieghborhood? That is high priced real estate and I don't think Mayor Manino gives a damn about the people living there now if the city can make money out of new deals that will definitely be proposed in the future. As much as I love the resteraunts in the area (great food, horrible service) lets face it- the "combat zone" no longer exists, strip clubs gone, but it is still very, very dirty and run down. With a 5 minute walk to all of the financial district, downtown crossing(also could use facelift) and Boston Commons I would say these people are sitting ducks to be outpriced. I am originally from "Southie" or South Boston for out of towners, and now everyone who grew up there either cashed out if they owned or watched the rents go sky high and wonder what the hell happened. Most people that grew up there can't even afford to live there now as all the yuppies come in and turn the place into motel 6. I say Chinatown is safe for now, but when the prime real estate firms are looking to expand the downtown area and clean up a little, my guess is that Chinatown won't be able to put up much of a fight to hold on to what really should be a preserved ethnic area with enough affordable housing to go around for its residents. :(

Archived