Home Depot must fit architecturally

gs3

With all the sprawl around Upstate, it's always refreshing to see attempts to either control the sprawl or at least make the new sprawl developments adhere to higher standards. Just read where Home Depot will build a new location on Fairview in Simpsonville. Apparently Simpsonville is holding them to some strict architectural guidelines.....this will not be a big orange box. Way to go Simpsonville...small but positive step.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been reported that Travelers Rest has a "verbal agreement" from Wal-Mart to adhere to similar restrictions. Of course, this agreement was reached back when Cliff Gaddy was City Administrator in T.R. As far as I know, no official ordinances have yet been passed to restrict development though.

The new Wal-Mart Supercenter is currently being built right behind the CVS Pharmacy on US Highway 25 between Little Texas Road and State Park Road in Travelers Rest.

Another development should be going in across the highway at the old Emb-Tex plant before long too, once the site is re-zoned. It's rumored to include an office supply store (Staples/Office Max/Office Depot), a clothing store (such as Stein-Mart), and a department store (such as Target) - nothing official yet though.

I read somewhere recently about municipalities forcing big box retailers to deviate from their standard cinder block boxes. One example given was Bozeman, MT where Wal-Mart was forced to build a brick building with a stepped out entrance, projections along the facade, and extensive landscaping. Wal-Mart was also required to build a adjacent green space with benches, tables, and a bus stop. Most places seem to be afraid of losing these proposed stores to request or enforce any architectural guidelines, but even the most economy minded retailers are willing to spend the extra money it if they have to.

Here is a article from Metropolis that is along these same lines.

http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/story.php?artid=216

Yes, indeed. Very interesting article. That's my fear with the T.R. Wal-Mart. It may conform to the architectural standards "verbally" agreed upon with the city of T.R. on the OUTSIDE; however, I'm sure it will be just as junky on the inside as any other Wal-Mart. I personally know of one Wal-Mart in Ocoee, Florida that looks, well, ... beautiful (it's relative) for a Wal-Mart on the outside. On the inside, it's no different from any other.

Can't always judge a book by its cover...I agree, "A facade on a big box is a facade on a big box.

Archived