River Rouge lobbies for bridge span

Allan

While most cities downriver are opposed to a new crossing to Canada, River Rouge is trying to convince leaders to build it in the ailing city. City officials hope that a new bridge could help revitalize the city.

River Rouge is one of the five corridors being studied for a new crossing. In addition to the bi-national study, three companies have proposed plans for a new crossing in Southwest Detroit. Their proposals include converting an old train tunnel to handle trucks or building a new four-lane span next to the Ambassador Bridge.

A border-crossing study has concluded that Michigan and Ontario will lose $28.6 billion annually and 49,000 jobs by 2020 if another link isn't built.

Read More: http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0504/12/B01-147642.htm

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe you wouldn't have a problem with heavy traffic, but people living in the neighborhoods will. Imagine having semi trucks rumbling by 24 hours per day!

A new bridge is needed, but its placement must be carefully considered.

A border-crossing study has concluded that Michigan and Ontario will lose $28.6 billion annually and 49,000 jobs by 2020 if another link isn't built.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do they really mean "lose" or should it have been "missed out on"? I'm not sure how the state and province would actually lose money and jobs by not building a new connection, but I definitely can see how they could miss out on them. $28 billion is a lot of money to literally lose! I'm hoping that was just bad wording.

Building another bridge next to the Ambassador bridge is the worst idea since the "re-elect Kwayme" campaign! Besides the fact that it will look nasty and out of place (2 big bridges next to each other?!?!?), it just fixes the traffic problem traveling across the bridge. Any of us who have taken the bridge or tunnel to or from Canada know that the problem is getting through customs, especially with the post 9-11 security. In addition there is the problems with the neighborhoods and everything else.

Technically since the bridge is privately owned, the region is losing money! What I think they are talking about is lost time trying to get across the board. 1-2 hours per semi-truck * their hourly wage * number of trucks = a lot of money. I'm not really sure where they get the 49,000 jobs from.

Do they really mean "lose" or should it have been "missed out on"? I'm not sure how the state and province would actually lose money and jobs by not building a new connection, but I definitely can see how they could miss out on them. $28 billion is a lot of money to literally lose! I'm hoping that was just bad wording.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, "missed out on" is probably the best wording. I was just attempting to summarize the main points of the newspaper article. I am not a journalist, nor do I desire to become one. LOL.

BTW, upon closer inspection, it does say that the bridge would be built in southwest Detroit, near the River Rouge border.

River Rouge is a great location. Heck, any location where a muncipality is willing to accept it is good. Let's just get this thing done. If River Rouge is the only serious one lobbying this, more power to them.

Another bridge right into Detroit wouldn't be a good thing from all of the studies being done. The Ambassador, while needed, has been a huge imprediment to the growth of Mexicantown.

You're right, "missed out on" is probably the best wording.  I was just attempting to summarize the main points of the newspaper article.  I am not a journalist, nor do I desire to become one.  LOL.

BTW, upon closer inspection, it does say that the bridge would be built in southwest Detroit, near the River Rouge border.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL. It was late and I figured you were quoting the article. I was too tired to do a lot of reading and didn't bother checking it out. My bad.

And I agree with LMich. If River Rouge wants it, let them have it. There's no point in forcing it where it isn't wanted.

Build up the area so that people can get a better image of Detroit. If they did that I would have no problem with heavy traffic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's put in your backyard! I'm sure the noise, pollution, and congestion would be a boon for your neighborhood's image. It would also raise the value of your house tremendously!

Build up the area so that people can get a better image of Detroit. If they did that I would have no problem with heavy traffic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to live a half mile or so from the Ambassador Bridge. Honestly I didn't notice the traffic when I was at home, but that was only because it was on the other side of I-75 and the highway traffic pretty much overwhelmed the bridge traffic. I did notice a lot of congestion at certain times during the day because of the bridge, but it didn't really get in the way too much.

However, another bridge right next to it? especially to the south? That doesn't make sense. I think there was idle talk going around of adding another span to the Ambassador bridge (double the capacity by making the entire existing bridge one way and adding another for the other direction)... that would be reasonable, but another bridge a mile to the south or wherever, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Everything in the immediate area is low-medium density, so if they're going to build another bridge they might as well put it far enough away to benefit commuters somehow over the existing span. Somewhere like River Rouge would ease a lot of the I-75/I-94 traffic through southwest.

Someone mentioned the bridge being an impediment to the growth of Mexicantown. How to you figure that? Other than the real estate that it uses up in the area, what's the problem? During my time living there it certainly didn't seem to have any kind of negative impact on the growth of the neighborhood.

Archived