how to find apartment in downtown Raleigh

dete0049

Hi all -

I'm moving to Raleigh from out of state (waaaay out of state) and am hoping to live in a downtown/historic/interesting neighborhood. Everywhere on the web, I find postings for boring looking apartment complexes by the mall. Any suggestions, other than Craig's list, to find unique/older apartments near downtown? Any neighborhoods that are particularly good?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all -

I'm moving to Raleigh from out of state (waaaay out of state) and am hoping to live in a downtown/historic/interesting neighborhood.  Everywhere on the web, I find postings for boring looking apartment complexes by the mall.  Any suggestions, other than Craig's list, to find unique/older apartments near downtown?  Any neighborhoods that are particularly good?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It all depends on your price range. There are a number of interesting and somewhat historic places that aren't too expensive on Peace St. called "Wedgewood" and "The Raleigh Apartments," and there are also a number of places on the 700-900 blocks of Hillsborough St. including "Boylan Apartments" and "Cameron Court."

Both of these locations are about two blocks outside of what most would consider" downtown", but they're both in interesting, established neighborhoods within a mile of the center of the city. The ones on Hillsborough, in particular, are only a block or two away from Glenwood South; the ones on Peace St are a short walk from Cameron Village and four blocks from Glenwood.

These are the places I can think of off the top of my head because I've considered moving to both of them. Both locations are west of downtown, so they're pretty close to the university, and have plenty of interesting things to do within easy walking distance. Both are served by multiple bus routes. While Glenwood South rules the nightlife and restaurant scene, Cameron Village (an shopping center on six city blocks developed in the 1940s but recently remodeled) has a lot of shopping, plenty of restaurants, and a grocery store. Most importantly, perhaps, Peace St. Market is nearby, too. It looks like an old run-down convenience store but they have a pretty amazing selection of beer.

Go much further downtown, and you probably won't find too much in the way of apartments. That market's really just starting to develop, and there are some condos but not too much in the way of apartments. Anything that does exist would be out of my price range, too, so I haven't looked very hard.

Of course there are hundreds of homes that are renting out a room, or smaller home-apartment conversions out there, but I don't have a list, so you'd either have to explore the neighborhoods looking for signs, or talk to a local real estate company to find 'em.

There are several houses along Person St. that have been fragmented into apartments in the Peace St. intersection vicinity.

Also, at the intersection of Blount and Edenton, there are two historic apartment buildings. I live at one of them (Capital Aparments)-rent is reasonable. The other has really nice, large balconies.

But to echo what orulz posted, there aren't too many legitimate apartments right downtown. It takes a sharp eye and some luck to find one.

Hi - thanks for the suggestions.  Just to clarify, it doesn't need to be right in the heart of downtown - just a neighborhood that's nearby and not a bland, suburban wasteland.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know what, My friend was telling me about the apartments near Cameron Village he's looking into... i think they're pretty nice and only a mile from downtown so not exactly in the heart but certainly not a suburban wasteland.

http://www.shopsofcameronvillage.com/renoplans.html

It looks as if the residential components of the new section of the project are in the works though.

http://www.shopsofcameronvillage.com/renoplans.html

It looks as if the residential components of the new section of the project are in the works though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that project has been in the works for the past 10 years. I really wish they'd come up with something more concrete.

In the meantime, there's the Raleigh Apartments, Wedgewood, and a number of other places right next door. Cameron Village is a very nice neighborhood; certainly you could find something there.

Don't know if you're still looking for an apartment but....

I always walk my dog through Oakwood (historic neighborhood near downtown Raleigh) and I walk by this big house with an "apt for rent" sign next to it. I always think that if I were looking for a place to rent, it looks like a great place on a nice street. It looks like the apt. has a separate entrance with a small deck. It's on the corner of Polk and Elm, I think, but I often get the street names confused. The phone number outside is 919-834-3414. (It might also be 843-3414--I just tried to remember it from my walk)

watch CitySpace...

I rented from them a while ago, and they don't take great care of their places. I had some maintenance issues with my apt. and they were very slow to respond. Also, DON'T rent at 705 W. Morgan. Trust me. The radiators are so loud, it's literally like someone is sledgehammering an iron pipe 3 ft. from your head, no exaggeration. The floor shakes the air ping is so bad in the radiators there.

watch CitySpace...

I rented from them a while ago, and they don't take great care of their places.  I had some maintenance issues with my apt. and they were very slow to respond.  Also, DON'T rent at 705 W. Morgan.  Trust me.  The radiators are so loud, it's literally like someone is sledgehammering an iron pipe 3 ft. from your head, no exaggeration.  The floor shakes the air ping is so bad in the radiators there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Completely off-topic, but that radiator issue sounds about like what happened to me living in Bragaw Hall on NCSU's campus. The radiators there were an absolute disaster. It was best to leave it shut off overnight, or else you could be certain that you would be woken up at least a couple times by a "THUD... THUD..THUD.thud..pingping..pingpingping." The damn things even sprung a leak and ruined my furniture over Christmas Break. That's why they switched to a chilled water system... the year after I moved out. A couple months after the radiator incident the sewers backed up flooding the whole suite with sewage (nasty, nasty stuff.) That building (built in 1958) is, like all of the big dorms on West Campus, butt ugly - and it wasn't built to last 50 year at all. I think there's a plan to eventually tear all of West Campus down and start over, but IMO that couldn't happen soon enough.

Completely off-topic, but that radiator issue sounds about like what happened to me living in Bragaw Hall on NCSU's campus. The radiators there were an absolute disaster. It was best to leave it shut off overnight, or else you could be certain that you would be woken up at least a couple times by a "THUD...    THUD..THUD.thud..pingping..pingpingping." The damn things even sprung a leak and ruined my furniture over Christmas Break. That's why they switched to a chilled water system... the year after I moved out. A couple months after the radiator incident the sewers backed up flooding the whole suite with sewage (nasty, nasty stuff.) That building (built in 1958) is, like all of the big dorms on West Campus, butt ugly - and it wasn't built to last 50 year at all. I think there's a plan to eventually tear all of West Campus down and start over, but IMO that couldn't happen soon enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah really, Lee, Sullivan, and Bragaw are really, really bad. But then again, I had some good times in those dorms, so it would be sad to see 'em go :alc:

Hi all -

I'm moving to Raleigh from out of state (waaaay out of state) and am hoping to live in a downtown/historic/interesting neighborhood.  Everywhere on the web, I find postings for boring looking apartment complexes by the mall.  Any suggestions, other than Craig's list, to find unique/older apartments near downtown?  Any neighborhoods that are particularly good?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look at Oberlin Court! Brand new and just down the road from Cameron Village. They will have shops on the first floor too.

www.oberlincourt.com

Speaking of which, any construction photos of Oberlin Court? Maybe I'll ride my bike down there tomorrow and check it out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O-

They appear to be nearly complete, structurally, but I'm sure they're still putting in the sheetrock, etc. They are polishing up the landscaping and putting the finishing touches on the grading work. I would imagine that they'll be ready for occupancy by summer.

I'm miffed that they aren't selling any as condos (at least they don't appear to be).

I rode by there today. I must say that it looks pretty nice driving by on Wade Ave. It seems like they're almost done with building "B", the 100% residential building, but they've only just started grading for building "A", the mixed use structure.

I hope that this development causes the city to improve the pedestrian/bicycle facilities on Oberlin Road. It needs wider sidewalks, and it would be one of the best places in town to put bike lanes.

The whole area has a fairly suburban character to it with buildings set back from the street and surrounded by parking lots, but it's a very attractive mixed-use neighborhood with offices, residential, and some retail surrounded by a healthy canopy of mature trees and well-maintained landscaping.

I find it odd but yet not surprising and strangely telling of the ills of modern suburban development that, even though everything inside the beltline is so much denser than what lies on the outside, there are so many more trees left standing. The suburban starter home/ mcmansion developers are orchestrating the end of Raleigh's era as the "City of Oaks."

Hi all -

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oberlin Court is open. Several people already live there. They are opening in phases starting along Wade Ave.

The internal courtyards will be real nice.

Oberlin Court is open.  Several people already live there.  They are opening in phases starting along Wade Ave.

The internal courtyards will be real nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went in one of the apartments the other day. They are pretty impressive. Worth a visit.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all -

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might also take a look at Founders Row - across from the downtown Raleigh City Market. My husband & I used to live there and were very happy with the proximity of restaurants and cultural opportunities. We're no longer in the U.S. - but, the same urban issues are still important for us - sense of community and proximity to reliable/inexpensive public transit, cultural opportunities, grocery stores, retail stores & restaurants.

For rent signs are prohibited from being posted at Founders Row - but you can often find condos for rent in the Independent, N&O and Craigslist. They are beautiful Spanish-style condos with gated parking, gardens and courtyards with fountains. Last year, the association spent over two million replacing the artificial stucco with portland cement on the exterior and replanting the three gardens.

I would also highly recommend Historic Oakwood and Boylan Heights, if you're looking to rent or buy a house, as opposed to condo living.

Happy hunting!

• 3 weeks later...

While I'm way late to the party here, and presume the original poster has already found a place, thought I'd add in my .002. I currently live right up the street from Cameron Village, in Phase II of the Cameron Village Condos. Small, but nice places in a good location at a good price. Very convenient to CV and to the NCSU campus (where I work ). Phase I, on the other side of Cameron Village, has some larger townhouses. If I hadn't moved in here, I probably would have ended up at Cameron Court--it's a great old development, with lots of mature trees and a big grassy courtyard. The apartments were built in the late 30's from what I understand, and are handsome brick buildings with hardwood floors, big windows, and a few modern niceties like central A/C. Definitely merits a look.

Before we got married my wife had a place at Hayes Barton Square, which is close to downtown, but in a really pretty wooded neighborhood north of Five Points. They may have been converted to condos by now-- can't recall-- does anyone know? Really great location.

Kip-Dell Homes used to be a good source for older, inside-the-beltline apartments, but I've not been in the market for an apartment in many years, so that may no longer be the case.

Archived