2010 SC and NC Cities

randy1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's entirely possible for Greenville to reach 100,000 in your lifetime.

2010 should place Greenville about 65,000.

2020 should move the number up to 75,000.

I'd say that by 2050, you've got your 100,000 without any major annexation law changes, or the combinbing of Mauldin and Greenville- which SHOULD happen and hopefully will. Adding another 30,000 or so to the city.

That is where i went to school in Anderson School District 1. Lots of people move to my area just to have the Wren schools so close. Also ive never heard any talks about mauldin and greenville cities merging. That would be great and would put us very close to 100,000. so if annexation in SC would loosen to NC standards we could "possibly" have the following populations for our cities:

Charleston 400,000+

Columbia 400,000+

Greenville 250,000-300,000+

They still wouldn't be that high. Those figures pretty much correlate with the UA figures, which include incorporated municipalities. If our annexation laws resembled those of NC's, Columbia and Charleston could possibly be in the 250K-300K range and Greenville in the 200K-250K range.

It's entirely possible for Greenville to reach 100,000 in your lifetime.

2010 should place Greenville about 65,000.

2020 should move the number up to 75,000.

I'd say that by 2050, you've got your 100,000 without any major annexation law changes, or the combinbing of Mauldin and Greenville- which SHOULD happen and hopefully will. Adding another 30,000 or so to the city.

^^ I based my numbers on developments and how I think they will pan out. I think that with Verdae taking off, Magnolia Park, Preserve at Parkins Mill, Downtown (including the Haynie-Sirrine area), and small infill projects will easily add 5,000 before 2010. my 2020 prediction is really just based on Verdae and what else could possibly happen. Definitely realistic, I'd say.

Those numbers are not realistic, especially for Charleston and Columbia. These places have to deal with other surrounding municipalities that will compete for land. Charleston could only gain 10k max. Columbia maybe 50k. Greeville could gain the most, probably 70-80k, and put it more in line with Columbia and Charleston. That is assuming a lot to. The cities could annex, but annexation requires providing services, so it would be a very gradual process. Cities can over extend themselves if they annex too much land.

The 10k figure for Charleston that Spartan mentioned is too low. There are like 20-30,000 in unincorporated West Ashley. There are already water and sewer lines in those areas, so it would be quite eaasy for the city to annex them, and is aggressively seeking to do so. Charleston has a stated goal of completely annexation of all the West Ashley doughnut holes by 2015. My guess is there will still be a few holdouts, but not a big number.

John's Island and Cainhoy also have lots of unincorporated areas as well, and I'm holding out hope for James Island too.

Regardless, Charleston can easily reach 200,000 without further annexation.

It's hard to imagine Mauldin and Greenville combining, but there is a considerable number of adacent areas that COULD be annexed (to Greenville) relative to Chas. and Cola.

^ Please excuse my ignorance, I am only familiar with Charleston as a tourist, but why is it agressively seeking annexation? It already has a large land area for a city of 115K population, seems there would be many opportunities for infill growth. Is there some limiting factor making some of it's land undevelopable? I know the area is swampy in places, but was assuming this was part of the reduction of total area making the effective area around 145 square miles.

^ Please excuse my ignorance, I am only familiar with Charleston as a tourist, but why is it agressively seeking annexation? It already has a large land area for a city of 115K population, seems there would be many opportunities for infill growth. Is there some limiting factor making some of it's land undevelopable? I know the area is swampy in places, but was assuming this was part of the reduction of total area making the effective area around 145 square miles.

Most of the growth is definitely nearer Fort Mill, but Fort Mill has not been pro-active in annexing. The town might not have the funds to fully provide services further out anyways - therefore Ft Mill likely won't grow any larger than 20k after the next decade or so. Tega Cay is similar but even more stringent about their growth plans. Rock Hill's plan, on the other hand, has been nothing less than high growth. The stringy patterns of the city is in order to annex as much as possible, learning the lessons of the then larger city of Spartanburg in the 1970's.

But 20k is really just a guess, but I would imagine Ft Mill to expand, but I don't know if the town's infrastructure will be in place to aggressively expand like Rock Hill has chosen to. I'm pretty sure Tega Cay isn't.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is an article on annexation in Fort Mill from the Rock Hill Herald. It states that in 2000, the town included 4.55 square miles. Now, it has about 7. With the exception of about a half a square mile, all that land was added in 2005 and 2006. The 30 percent land mass growth in the past six years is almost double the estimated 16 percent population growth during the same period. The population increased from 7,600 in 2000 to about 9,000 now, according to census and town estimates. That will change as construction on undeveloped town property is completed.

Just to put that in perspective, Huntersville went from 3,000 in 1990 to 28,000 by 1998 (they held a special census that year). It can definitely happen in York and especially if they don't have any controls on growth. Huntersville clamped down of sprawly development and the population growth slowed down a great deal.

Archived