The Old Target On Bush River Rd.

sonofaque86

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my uncle lives in Columbia, and we had gone to eat at a restaurant on Bush River Rd and I noticed the vacant target and how it had those prominent Richway wedges on the roof... and how you still could tell that it was a Target because the sign hadn't totally faded. I hope they do something with it though and that it doesn't sit an empty big box

Sandy, you're showing your age! I remember those things too! In fact, I remember when Bush River and Decker Malls opened on the same day in 1977. They were identical malls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm gonna show my age and say that I remember that day also. There was a big article in The State paper about this being the first time "ever" that two identical Malls opened in the same town on the same day. I also have many fond memories of the Sounds Familiar record store that used to be next to the movie theaters. And don't get me started on the midnight movies at Bush River Cinemas. That's where I first say "Night of the Living Dead", "Cinderella" (X version), "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", and many, many screenings of "Rocky Horror Picture Show". Good times...

i'm gonna show my age and say that I remember that day also.  There was a big article in The State paper about this being the first time "ever" that two identical Malls opened in the same town on the same day.  I also have many fond memories of the Sounds Familiar record store that used to be next to the movie theaters.  And don't get me started on the midnight movies at Bush River Cinemas.  That's where I first say "Night of the Living Dead", "Cinderella" (X version), "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", and many, many screenings of "Rocky Horror Picture Show".  Good times...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JT, I also have fond memories of midnight movies at Bush River Mall. I lived in the Spring Valley area at the time and it was "all the way across town"...lol. Heck, Bush River Mall is practically "in town" now.

Man... Bush River Mall... talk about nostalgia. Spartan -- it's between the I-20 and I-26 exits on Bush River Rd. Where Burlington Coat Factory is located. I don't know if it was ever much more than a glorified strip mall -- kind of a like a strip mall with an indoor corridor. I could be wrong... I'm 29, and it was already kind of failing by the time I was old enough to have a clear memory of it. I do remember my dad taking me to see Return of the Jedi there when I was like 8. And I remember the arcade, but I always thought it was crappy compared to Barrel of Fun at Dutch Square -- except they did have Tron there. :) My parents used to go to Richway a lot.

If you guys can cobble together $4.5 mil, we can buy it. (link PDF)

Ah. I think I know where that is. Its been a while since I've been by there though. "Mall" is such a relative term.... I usually think of a shopping mall like Columbiana or Dutch Square. I am quick to forget that the definition I just said is not the only one.

Well, if this bill goes through it may make things easier for someone to redevelop it....

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/11388966.htm

Proposal targets Empty Stores

Bill would assist developers reusing abandoned sites

By JEFF WILKINSON

House Republicans, environmentalists and the S.C. Chamber of Commerce are pushing a bill that would give developers tax credits for reusing or demolishing empty

JT, I also have fond memories of midnight movies at Bush River Mall. I lived in the Spring Valley area at the time and it was "all the way across town"...lol. Heck, Bush River Mall is practically "in town" now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember that Bush River seemed very far from my parent's house also, when it is actually only two interstate exits away, and my parents live less than 10 minutes from their exit.

Spartan, these were both small malls anchored by a Richway and a Kroger. Richway was (I think) the discount store arm of Rich's. I remember my Mom buying school clothes for me there quite often. Each mall had maybe 20 stores in it, none of which ever seemed to thrive except for the anchors, the movies and the record store at Bush River, not sure about Decker. I haven't been by Bush River in years, so I have no idea what is happening with that space now.

Every Friday and Saturday night, Bush River would show midnight movies, and they were always mobbed. I'm sure the theaters got trashed by all the rowdy kids, but it must have made money for the theaters.

these were both small malls anchored by a Richway and a Kroger.  Richway was (I think) the discount store arm of Rich's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My friend J.T. Legg runs a Rich's tribute site, and I can verify that Richway was the discount arm of Rich's. If you guys have any pictures or information on the Richway sites in Columbia, he'd sure appreciate hearing from you.

The site is http://www.angelfire.com/ri2/richstribute/ and his email is [email protected]

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, the Bush River Shopping Mall has caught fire a few times in the past year. I was hoping that they would tear it down and put up something other than another strip club in that area. Used to be a rumor that a school district wanted to use it.

I was lucky enough to get some pictures of the place before they demolished half of it and boarded it up. That, unfortunately, hasn't stopped squatters from living there and setting fires.

I remember when I moved here in 1997, I used to go to that movie theater. It was very eerie to go back to it when it was closed/abandoned. Unfortunately, people had trashed the place. We did find some old reels of film, though.

Bush River Shopping Mall Pictures

AbandoCommando, is that first shot taken facing what used to be the back entrance (from the back parking lot)?

My wife and I went to a ton of midnight movies there, too... in addition to going for first run stuff.

Funny story that's linked to a current movie... one night we went with a bud of mine and his wife to see a 50's sci-fi double feature... this guy is one of the most naturally funny people I've ever known.

The first flick was "It Came From Outer Space" if I remember correctly, but the second was definitely the '53 release of "War of the Worlds." If you've seen it, you know there's a tense scene in which Gene Barry and Ann Robinson are hiding in this abandoned house. A mechanized tentacle with a robot eyeball comes in through a window and is peering around looking for signs of life... and I think the woman gasps or something. Then an extraterrestrial comes in looking around. GB whacks it with something and it runs out emitting some sort of steely shriek. Very tense scene... and as the alien screams, my bud yells out... as if translating the alien's scream...

"GO BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY'VE GOT CROWBARS!!!!"

AbandoCommando, is that first shot taken facing what used to be the back entrance (from the back parking lot)?

My wife and I went to a ton of midnight movies there, too... in addition to going for first run stuff.

Funny story that's linked to a current movie... one night we went with a bud of mine and his wife to see a 50's sci-fi double feature... this guy is one of the most naturally funny people I've ever known.

The first flick was "It Came From Outer Space" if I remember correctly, but the second was definitely the '53 release of "War of the Worlds."  If you've seen it, you know there's a tense scene in which Gene Barry and Ann Robinson are hiding in this abandoned house.  A mechanized tentacle with a robot eyeball comes in through a window and is peering around looking for signs of life... and I think the woman gasps or something.  Then an extraterrestrial comes in looking around.  GB whacks it with something and it runs out emitting some sort of steely shriek.  Very tense scene... and as the alien screams, my bud yells out... as if translating the alien's scream...

"GO BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  THEY'VE GOT CROWBARS!!!!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a trip. I must have seen Rocky Horror Piture Show 20 times at that theatre when I was in high school. It brings back alot of memories.

Yeah, that shot was taken from the back where the old DMV and the movie theater were to the left of the shot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was an Usher at the General Cinema theater at the Bush River Mall from 1986 - 1989. I had nearly lost a finger changing the Marquee sign one evening when my High School ring got caught on it. Also, I remember changing that sign during (yes, during) hurricane Hugo in 1989. The group that worked there was a great crew, and defined the perfect college job. Thanks to all of you who occasionally left a bottle of beer in the aisles (unopened) and to that parent who left the dirty diaper...well, shame on you.

But, like many of you, I grew up with that inverted strip mall. Aladdin's Arcade was way better than the Barrel of Fun (across the way at Dutch Square), Sounds Familiar had a cool store front because of the way the wood sorta came in at an angle (when they relocated, it was not nearly as cool). I talked to the girls running the P-nut Shack across from the mall. I remember there was a store that sold the TRS-80 when it first opened. Later, I think I was served my first under-age beer at the "Opening Break."

The first movie I saw at those theaters was Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I also remember Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Trek II and Buckaroo Banzai. They expanded from 4 theater to 8 by building the hallway and moving the concession stand from the back wall to the center. They closed the ticket booth and, while I was there, switched from the traditional tear ticket to a computerized system. When I started working there was the last summer that we wore the Sky Blue blazers and the classic GCC them (come on, you remember) and switched to the Candy in Space theme. They switched the company uniform to the Red Vest and Bow Ties. Damn, it was so hard to be respected in them (not only that, it made hiding the beer you found in the theaters harder).

Oh well, I could go on. I think I am going to swing up there tommorrow to take some photographs before the place is completely torn down.

Swampy

• 1 month later...

I also took some photos there a few months ago. If anyone's interested, you can view them here:

http://public.fotki.com/fourlizards/200508...ush_river_mall/

The inner walkway was already gone by the time I took these. Wish I had visited it sooner like AbandonedSC did.

I first started going to the movies there in 1984 when I was 16. Shortly after that is when they amended the Blue Laws and let stores open after 1:30pm on Sundays. So we would go to an early movie on a Sunday and then walk next door and spend money at Sounds Familar. The last movie I saw there was Air Force One. The admission was 50 cents.

• 5 weeks later...

Talk about a weird flashback!

I haven't lived in South Carolina since 1982, but I remember when Bush River opened. It was the first mall I remember going to, period. When I was between the ages of 5-8 - until we moved, my mom used to shop at the Richway store, and I used to head on down to the Arcade, which was then known of as "Land of Oz", while she shopped. I remember the movie theatre, as well. The Last movie I saw there was Cannonball Run 2 when we visited Coloumbia on a vacation, in 1984. I also vaguely remember walking down the long hallway from Richway to 'Oz', and there was a little snack bar on the left side of the hall. I always stopped there, before I hit the arcade, and got an Orange-pineapple ICEE with the neat little straws that had the spoons at the bottom and a small bag of peanuts.

I always wondered what happened to that mall since I last saw it. The pics I've seen are just depressing :(

Archived