Mills-Nebraska Development

Chemmie

Hello all, I'm new here and I'm glad I found such a wonderful net-community for discussing the growth of Orlando. I moved back to the Colonialtown area (Off of Fern Creek between Colonial and Virginia) after two and a half years in the suburbs of Atlanta. Boy am I glad to get back to the city and not the burbs. My future wife and I bought a small bungalow home and are very excited about all of the growth.

With that said, does anyone here have any more information or renderings about the Mills-Nebraska project that is supposed to be going in where the old lumber yard is? I have seen signs up for neighborhood meetings regarding the development and there was a blurb in the neighborhood association's newsletter, but I don't have any other information. I would like to show up for these meetings to voice my support for the development, but I am pretty much in the dark about the proposed project. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, are there any other plans for redevelopment along Mills Ave. or Colonial, near Mills? I have heard some rumors that they are planning on revitalizing some of that area like College Park did along Edgewater Rd. I love the Little Saigon feel, but would love even more to see some updating! Are there any plans out there?

Thanks!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Thanks Sunshine ... and welcome Chemmie!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. I also saw the newspaper clipping. This photo above is much better though. WOW! I'm excited for this. Hopefully the surrounding community, my neighbors, don't obstruct the development too much. It would be great to have even more retail and restaraunts within walking distance.

An unrelated note:

I'm a foodie. All of this growth is bound to bring some great food into Orlando. We've had enough of chain restaraunts all over the place. It's time for some better food in Orlando!

I like this, project. While I never really considered this area downtown, it looks as if we may be seeing a nice urban extention out from downtown root in this neighborhood. Though I hope this wont detract from the little saigon area we have there already, and could fit into the heavily asian area.

Looks like a nice project!  Where is it exactly?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On Mills Ave. around Virginia. Where the old, run down, Lumber Yard is.

I can't believe there are actually people protesting this. Would they rather have the run down lumber yard or beautiful townhomes, condos and retail?

Chemmie,

I live in Colonialtown too. The neighborhood association meeting is tomorrow night (Thursday) in the Colonialtown neighborhood center -- right on Fern Creek between Montana St. and Lake Highland Drive, across the street from Fern Creek Elementary. I think it gets started about 7 p.m. One of my neighbors told me the other day that they usually give some sort of update on the project at the meetings because it is so close to home for us. I haven't been to any of the meetings in awhile but I'm going to try to attend tomorrow. Welcome to Colonialtown!

Also, it is true that there are extensive plans for improving the streetscape along the Mills and Colonial borders of Colonialtown. I attended some of the public meetings at Leu Gardens and the proposals were exciting. Widening the sidewalks, adding traffic calming details to make the street more pedestrian friendly, lots of landscaping. There also were some discussions on adding an archway, or a gateway of some sort, at Colonial and Mills. I think three design firms competed for the job and presented their ideas.... I think Glatting Jackson on Pine St. downtown was one of them. Don't remember who got the job.

The neighborhood association's website has a link with some of the illustrations:

http://www.colonialtown.org/news.html

This is something the city has been working on for several years. I'm told progress is going to be very slow because it involves applying for federal funds and grants. I heard that it's happening in phases over a 10-year period, or something like that. But we may start seeing some improvements over the next year or two.

Planners to review Mills Avenue development

A Lake Mary company plans a mixed-use project for the Mills & Nebraska Lumber site.

By Jack Snyder | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted April 19, 2005

For more than 70 years, Mills & Nebraska Lumber has been a fixture at 1602 N. Mills Ave. just northeast of downtown Orlando. The site soon may become a mixture of apartments, shops, restaurants and office space.

Pelloni Development Inc. of Lake Mary has submitted plans to the city for the 14.12-acre site on Mills Avenue and Virginia and Haven drives. The plans are to be reviewed today by the Orlando Municipal Planning Board.

Pelloni, which has done "town center" projects in Lake Mary and elsewhere, proposes to build 564 apartments and nearly 80,000 square feet of commercial space, primarily shops and restaurants. The project also could include a hotel.

Pelloni officials couldn't be reached Monday.

The lumber yard includes a landmark of sorts. For years, a 23-foot slab of redwood has been displayed at the yard's hardware store.

The property long has been considered a prime candidate for redevelopment, because of its proximity to Florida Hospital's main campus just to the northwest. And in recent years, a cluster of medical offices have gone up in the Mills Avenue area.

The lumber yard seems out of place in its current environment. The property is near the Lake Highland, Lake Rowena, Colonial Town North and Rowena Gardens neighborhoods.

In 1993, the lumber yard's owners had the property rezoned to permit retail and office development. The owners indicated at the time that they might relocate to west Orlando. But development never began, and the lumber yard stayed in operation.

Tom Pulsifer, one of the owners, couldn't be reached Monday for comment on the latest plans.

Jack Snyder can be reached at 407-420-5094 or [email protected].

The project was approved, with all of the neighbors clamoring in line to the podium to mention that it was a great project. Kudos were given by the MPB chair for a developer that was so "civic minded", since he met with the neighbors so often to allay their concerns.

^that would be hot...as long as its not a Barnies..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny. I prefer Barnies.

If they do put a Starbucks, it would only be about a mile away from another Starbucks. But what else is new for Starbucks? Soon we'll be like New York and have them on every street corner.

Coffee is good. :D

Funny.  I prefer Barnies.

If they do put a Starbucks, it would only be about a mile away from another Starbucks.  But what else is new for Starbucks?  Soon we'll be like New York and have them on every street corner.

Coffee is good.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two thumbs up for Barnies... They have local roots ... not some Seattle import.

I like the renderings posted at the top of this thread, but I'm trying to get a sense of the layout from an aerial perspective. Does Pelloni have a web site where more site plans are posted? I googled Pelloni Development Corp. but couldn't find anything.

Also, at about 80,000 square feet of restaurant and retail, isn't it going to be about 1/5 the size or scope of retail/restaurant space at Winter Park Village?

Archived