How Big Do You Expect Cola To Be

sonofaque86

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it'll be comparable to its growth for the past five years. I don't really forsee anything in the next five years that will cause a significant increase in population. When USC's research campus is complete, then I believe we'll have more to go off. But hey, five years is a lot of time, so you never know....

• 3 weeks later...

I think it depends on how successful the research campus is. If it takes off by 2010 I could see the MSA reaching about 700K, CSA of 750K, the city proper could grow by leaps and bounds if the annexation laws are revised, I'd say about 250, which is probablly more accurate since our metro is about the size of Greensboro proper without the WS add on.

I think it depends on how successful the research campus is. If it takes off by 2010 I could see the MSA reaching about 700K, CSA of 750K, the city proper could grow by leaps and bounds if the annexation laws are revised, I'd say about 250, which is probablly more accurate since our metro is about the size of Greensboro proper without the WS add on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the MSA should hit 700,000 by 2006 if we aren't already there this year.

The MSA will definitely be 700,000 with the inclusion of Kershaw County and the non-stop building going on in Northeast Richland. The only problem I foresee is if Fort Jackson gets closed by the future BRAC cuts they're going to announce 2 weeks from now. That base closure would affect Cola's population quite a bit, unless city leaders were proactive and allowed for development of the land there. Keep praying hard that BRAC avoids this state altogether!

I could be wrong because I'm not from that side of town but I never thought that FT. Jackson had a big economic impact on the Columbia community. The base is huge and pretty self sufficient. You really don't have to leave the base to get what you want. The closing may affect Columbia but I wouldn't think any more than stubbing your toe? Contray to popular belief business is actually Columbia's largest employer, followed, by manufactoring, and then state govt. I believe. If the base did close down though that would be a great oppourtunity for the city to initiate some major developing considering how much land is out there, mabye that was the plan once Ft. Jackson was annexed? Hmmmm?

Well, Ft. Jackson is sufficient, but many Army families and single people depend on the cluster of shops there on Forest Drive. In the military, your base gives you just enough to take care of things during the day...but it doesn't give you services after the day nor during the weekends. (I was a prior Air Force officer, so that's where I get my experience). The post (fort) has shops and services that are closed after 6pm. If you want to eat, watch a movie, or go buy groceries or other goods, you go to the WalMart area of Forest Drive or you go to Decker Boulevard.

Fort Jackson has many permanent Army and civilian employees that don't live on post but throughout southeast Cola. My apartment complex off of Garner's Ferry Road, and I have many Army neighbors. Many people that live on this side of Cola say that Fort Jackson closing would be an economic detriment. Granted, it would not affect NE or Harbison that much, but the closure would be more than stubbing a toe...more like a sprained ankle.

Ft. Jackson closing would definitely hurt Columbia, but not much more than minimally, IMHO (a sprained ankle with a pretty good immune system). I think that Columbia's economy is diversified enough to soften the economic blow of the base possibly closing. If this were to happen, I don't think it would hurt as much as Charleston did after the naval base closed. And it certainly wouldn't be a Fayetteville situation; that place would be an utter ghost town if Ft. Bragg were to shut its doors.

Well, Ft. Jackson is sufficient, but many Army families and single people depend on the cluster of shops there on Forest Drive. In the military, your base gives you just enough to take care of things during the day...but it doesn't give you services after the day nor during the weekends. (I was a prior Air Force officer, so that's where I get my experience). The post (fort) has shops and services that are closed after 6pm. If you want to eat, watch a movie, or go buy groceries or other goods, you go to the WalMart area of Forest Drive or you go to Decker Boulevard.

Fort Jackson has many permanent Army and civilian employees that don't live on post but throughout southeast Cola. My apartment complex off of Garner's Ferry Road, and I have many Army neighbors. Many people that live on this side of Cola say that Fort Jackson closing would be an economic detriment. Granted, it would not affect NE or Harbison that much, but the closure would be more than stubbing a toe...more like a sprained ankle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fair enough.

Ft Jackson isn't going anywhere. There is way too much invested in it. MacEntire maybe. Shaw has some chance, but I doubt it will go. The key word could be realignment. Bases may not close, but they can be altered interms of their population.

Ft. Jackson closing would definitely hurt Columbia, but not much more than minimally, IMHO (a sprained ankle with a pretty good immune system). I think that Columbia's economy is diversified enough to soften the economic blow of the base possibly closing. If this were to happen, I don't think it would hurt as much as Charleston did after the naval base closed. And it certainly wouldn't be a Fayetteville situation; that place would be an utter ghost town if Ft. Bragg were to shut its doors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to pick on Fayetteville, but is that not one of the ugliest cities in the country?

S.C. military communties brace for base-closing verdicts

Leaders are generally optimistic about prospects for S.C. installations

By CHUCK CRUMBO

Staff Writer

South Carolina probably will lose at least one military facility when the Defense Department releases its proposed list of military base closings later this week.

The Charleston Naval Hospital is a goner, even base-closing opponents concede.

Elsewhere in the Palmetto State, however, base-closing opponents are hopeful their military facilities may escape the Pentagon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i think columbia we be very huge, columbia is now doing what the modern day national expose cities did before they reached their peak. i predict that if we are not a million strong , we will pretty darn close. columbia is now experiencing significant growth, with two leading counties in growth now, lexington and kershwaw, i think columbia is really going to surprise a lot of people. every year people are starting to hear more and more about columbia.

Archived