Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allan

New Grand Rapids Convention Center to Open

8 posts in this topic

This was the most appropriate thread I could find for this. The last 2 days I was at the DeVos Place Convention center. Yesterday it was raining quite hard and there was a bit of a waterfall coming off of the over hang on the Monroe Street entrance. This morning they had the area where the water was falling roped off. I talked with one of the security guards about it and he said in the winter they have to fence it off to because of ice chunks falling off of there.

Is anyone aware of any fixes coming up for what is in my opinion a design flaw and a potential hazard for guests to our city?

In this picture, A the entire edge sticking out from the glass wall above the doors is where the water and ice fall from, B from the white piller to the doors is where it falls and where it was roped off this morning.

GRMay2004101edit.jpg

Looks like a good place for a planter or fountain or something.

Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but I was looking through some old photos on my hard drive and came across a few of DeVos Place under construction:

The first couple are from January 2003:

devosplace.jpg

devosplace2.jpg

This one is from May, 2003:

devosplace3.jpg

August, 2003:

devosplace4.jpg

Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but I was looking through some old photos on my hard drive and came across a few of DeVos Place under construction:

Hahaha..I saw the thread title and was like.. WTF :blink: ... but then saw it was a 2003 thread.. haha

Hahaha..I saw the thread title and was like.. WTF :blink: ... but then saw it was a 2003 thread.. haha

WTF, Now we're really booming :):lol:

well, its not too far from the truth. isn't there going to be a new convention space in the new marriot? do we know what kind of impact that will have on business downtown? will that draw smaller conventions to the area that would normally be passed over by the devos place? hmmm...

well, its not too far from the truth. isn't there going to be a new convention space in the new marriot? do we know what kind of impact that will have on business downtown? will that draw smaller conventions to the area that would normally be passed over by the devos place? hmmm...

I thinks its a 30,000 sq. ft ball room that's suppose to go in the new Merriott.