Height limits

vdogg

There has been a lot of talk lately in this forum on height limits in this area. I ran across an interesting article today about the attempt to build VA' s tallest building in the Rosslyn area. Of particular interest is this quote

"Our goal is to work with the FAA to arrive at a mutual resolution on height," Helmig said.

Even if the FAA deems the building a hazard, the agency -- with no jurisdiction over land use -- has no authority to stop the project, Peters said. The 1,149-foot-tall Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas -- roughly the same distance from the city's airport as this building would be from National -- was built over the objections of the FAA, he noted.

In other words, the FAA has no jurisdiction to overrule any building in our region or elsewhere. Just as with the military, it is totally up to our locally elected governments to decide the height limit. Now admittedly most localities strictly follow these guidelines but i thought it was an interesting tidbit of info. So the next time we get upset because our skyline is too short, blaming the FAA or the military is not necessarily the most accurate thing to do. Here is a link to the full article Rosslyn tower Looks like the battle for the states tallest is heating up! :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That area just fiests off of being close to DC.  They might as well be a DC extension.  Oh well though, i guess the higher they build the higher we are going to have to build.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly what i was thinking. Hopefully this will give Norfolk/Va Beach the kick in the pants they need to stop messing around and do something about this. If we keep playing around for too long neither of us will be able to claim the tallest. And now that i've read this article, it makes the 400ft limit in Va. Beach all the more ridiculous. Our tower will be 37 stories and 400ft. Theirs, 39 stories and 492ft. Come on guys, we can do better than this. <_<

That's exactly what i was thinking. Hopefully this will give Norfolk/Va Beach the kick in the pants they need to stop messing around and do something about this. If we keep playing around for too long neither of us will be able to claim the tallest. And now that i've read this article, it makes the 400ft limit in Va. Beach all the more ridiculous. Our tower will be 37 stories and 400ft. Theirs, 39 stories and 492ft. Come on guys, we can do better than this. <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Office buildings tend to have larger floors and also where is the garage. I don't think this will influence anything here. They have dc that generates all that for them. Like i said it takes a corporation to fill these buildings and they get them there. We have to attract companies to the area or promote companies to start or something. :whistling:

Office buildings tend to have larger floors and also where is the garage. I don't think this will influence anything here. They have dc that generates all that for them. Like i said it takes a corporation to fill these buildings and they get them there. We have to attract companies to the area or promote companies to start or something.  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup....just like Trader Publishing. Hopefully Trader will inspire other companies to relocate to Norfolk too! :thumbsup:

Has any one read the article that Gov. Warner is traveling overseas to Japan and India to try and convince some of their companies to invest in the state of Virginia, this will benefit the entire state if Gov. Warner and his collegues succeed in convincing some of the overseas corporations to come to VA.

Man the bitterness from yall is crazy. How come people in HR feel like this? The only thing I will say is that Nova is Va's economic powerhouse...it leads the state and sometimes the country in job creation, incomes, revenue..etc etc. Richmond is the state capital. While I don't think there should be bias, those are probably the reasons why there is bias, if any.

Its the truth, the area is left out of alot of funds but we have a huge economy and generate alot of tax dollars that do not see there way back to the area. We are considerably larger than Richmond and we are about the same population as NOVA.And people who grew up here get fed up with the biased crap that goes on in the state. They enjoy the funds from here but when its are due they chump us and give us less than our fair share. That is why we are bitter. I grew up here and seen how the state can be biased.

Its the truth, the area is left out of alot of funds but we have a huge economy and generate alot of tax dollars that do not see there way back to the area. We are considerably larger than Richmond and we are about the same population as NOVA.And people who grew up here get fed up with the biased crap that goes on in the state. They enjoy the funds from here but when its are due they chump us and give us less than our fair share. That is why we are bitter. I grew up here and seen how the state can be biased.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, but NOVA's population is close to 2 million while Hampton Roads is closer to 1.6 million. And NOVA is the only region in this state has a legitimate gripe about not receiving an adequate return in services on their taxes, so your agreement is not with merit. Thomas Moss and Stanley Walker, both from Norfolk, respectively, were Speaker of The House and President of the Senate for long periods of time, so I don't see how it was possible state held some kind of "grudge" against Hampton Roads.

The self pity has got to stop. The governor traveling to Japan and India hoping to spark investment in the Commonwealth should be welcome news by all Virginians. I can guarantee you Warner is not over there saying "Hey Virginia is a great place to do business, but you can only do business in Nova or Richmond." If there was to be any bias, it would be for the struggling areas of southside virginia or southwestern virginia that have considerably higher unemployment rates than the rest of the state. I would say they could use real economic investment much more than the major metros. In any case, with regards to HEIGHT LIMITS, perhaps a major investment by an overseas company could increase the height of the Norfolk skyline and challenge the height limit in Town Center, depending on how the Beach wants to see TC come to fruition.

BTW, if I remember correctly, the recently expanded Richmond-Petersburg MSA is moving towards 1.2 million and growing at a decent rate.

The self pity has got to stop. The governor traveling to Japan and India hoping to spark investment in the Commonwealth should be welcome news by all Virginians. I can guarantee you Warner is not over there saying "Hey Virginia is a great place to do business, but you can only do business in Nova or Richmond." If there was to be any bias, it would be for the struggling areas of southside virginia or southwestern virginia that have considerably higher unemployment rates than the rest of the state. I would say they could use real economic investment much more than the major metros. In any case, with regards to HEIGHT LIMITS, perhaps a major investment by an overseas company could increase the height of the Norfolk skyline and challenge the height limit in Town Center, depending on how the Beach wants to see TC come to fruition.

BTW, if I remember correctly, the recently expanded Richmond-Petersburg MSA is moving towards 1.2 million and growing at a decent rate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

never mind

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, within the closing of the decade we'll be almost to 1.8 so we're still a wee bit bigger :thumbsup: But either way, the bitterness in HR is generally (IMO) founded. The port of Hampton Roads generates so many billions that SERIOUSLY does not get back to us at all. Most of our money is generated by local taxes and the different localities to be frank. Eh* Screw Richmond, they're just jealous. :rofl:

RANK MSA 2004

1 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 5700256

2 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL 5361723

3 Houston-Baytown-Sugar Land, TX 5180443

4 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA 4708297

5 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 2587967

6 Orlando, FL 1861707

7 San Antonio, TX 1854050

8 Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC 1644250

9 Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC 1474734

10 Austin-Round Rock, TX 1412271

11 Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro, TN 1395879

12 New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA 1319589

13 Memphis, TN-MS-AR 1250293

14 Jacksonville, FL 1225381

15 Louisville, KY-IN 1200847

16 Richmond, VA 1154317

17 Oklahoma City, OK 1144327

18 Birmingham-Hoover, AL 1082193

19 Raleigh-Cary, NC 914680

20 Tulsa, OK 881815

RANK MSA 2004

6 Orlando, FL 1861707

16 Richmond, VA 1154317

20 Tulsa, OK 881815

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm confused. Are you leaving out CMSAs or something?

RANK MSA 2004

6 Orlando, FL 1861707

16 Richmond, VA 1154317

20 Tulsa, OK 881815

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where the hell did D.C. go? This can't possibly be right cause they have an MSA in the 5 million range. Do you know what their criteria was for these decisions?

DC also lists Baltimore in their 5 mil. i think thats crap. i dont see them as the same metro-area. The two districts are at least an hour apart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

D.C. and Baltimore are 35 miles apart. That is why they are together. There are places in our MSA that are 25 miles apart, however, the population in these areas are miniscule. But people in Baltimore commute to D.C. and people in D.C. commute to Baltimore. Therefore they are considered on metro.

Archived