Height limits

vdogg

The census uses trends in movement and population orientation to a central city in defining an MSA. For example, Fredericksburg is now what many will consider a suburb of Washington, though historically it was more oriented towards Richmond. Now that D.C. has sprawled so immensely, Fredericksburg is now more oriented towards Washington, and trends in movement also gear it towards D.C. Thus, Fburg is incorporated into the vast D.C. MSA.

http://www.census.gov/population/estimates...-city/List1.txt

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D.C. and Baltimore are 35 miles apart.  That is why they are together.  There are places in our MSA that are 25 miles apart, however, the population in these areas are miniscule.  But people in Baltimore commute to D.C. and people in D.C. commute to Baltimore.  Therefore they are considered on metro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still think its crap. :P

DC also lists Baltimore in their 5 mil. i think thats crap. i dont see them as the same metro-area. The two districts are at least an hour apart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Williamsburg is pretty far from Norfolk and Norfolk is far from Moyock...

I think that Wash-Baltimore is pretty fair being as the MD suburbs towards Laurel can be either DC suburbs or Balto suburbs. Also they are much better connected by rail and road than Norfolk-Va Beach is to the peninsula.

Has any one read the article that Gov. Warner is traveling overseas to Japan and India to try and convince some of their companies to invest in the state of Virginia, this will benefit the entire state if Gov. Warner and his collegues succeed in convincing some of the overseas corporations to come to VA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh, this isn't news. Govenors, Premiers, local business lobbies, etc. do this type of thing all the time. Most governors/premiers will go on these types of trips 3-4 times a year. Often times it's as much about not losing companies to other regions, as it is about gaining new companies. Most of the groups and companies that attend these meetings have no real interest in expanding anywhere or relocating, they just go for the pampering, freebies, and maybe to feel out a region they might be interested in moving to in the future.

When it comes time for a multinational company to expand, all that company need do is put out a notice saying they are looking to expand or relocate. They can then calmly sit back and watch as all the government and trade representatives with bags of money and promises fall all over themselves trying to be the first in line to the company.

Alot of people that lived in VaBeach moved to moyock and still work in Norfolk and Vabeach so it is part of our area. They receive our news as well. Willamsburg has always been a part of our area and its in the 757 area code. DC and Baltimore feed off of each other so it is fair to say that they are one metro. If Norfolk and Richmond feed off each other it would be fair to say that the metro would be for both. DC and Baltimore are about the same distance as going from Norfolk to Moyock, NC.

Alot of people that lived in VaBeach moved to moyock and still work in Norfolk and Vabeach so it is part of our area. They receive our news as well. Willamsburg has always been a part of our area and its in the 757 area code.  DC and Baltimore feed off of each other so it is fair to say that they are one metro. If Norfolk and Richmond feed off each other it would be fair to say that the metro would be for both. DC and Baltimore are about the same distance as going from Norfolk to Moyock, NC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i understand the concept, i just dont agree.

i understand the concept, i just dont agree.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well unfortunately for you, it's a concept that is used for almost all metro populations in the US. Seattle-Tacoma, San Fran-San Jose, LA-Riverside CA, NYC-Connecticut, Miami- Ft Lauderdale, etc... These are all cities that people don't always put in the same metro area but they actually are. In fact they call Boston-Washington "Boswash" for a reason: the suburbs continually touch into a huge megalopolis.

As far as I am concerned, the peninsula and anything west of 664 are out of what I consdier "the local area" but then again, I know people who work in Eliz City and W'Burg and live here in Norfolk-Va Beach.

Archived