Fourth Ward Square Condominiums

tthornburg

is that the lot on the same block as carillon?

as far as the fourth ward square development, is that a high restriction from government, or a stated figure from the developer.

Also, couldn't 75' be 7 stories if the floors are 9' tall?

Could it also be that the graham street side has the restriction, but smith street can go taller?

I'm just trying to understand this, as i haven't yet read the cbj article.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is that the lot on the same block as carillon?

as far as the fourth ward square development, is that a high restriction from government, or a stated figure from the developer. 

Also, couldn't 75' be 7 stories if the floors are 9' tall?

Could it also be that the graham street side has the restriction, but smith street can go taller? 

I'm just trying to understand this, as i haven't yet read the cbj article.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The CBJ article says the developer would not comment. It then references the zoning petion and 75 ft. The 75 ft. quote may be buried in some of the petition information.

I don't physically see how you can get 424 units into a 6 story building, especially if they are separate buidlings......maybe it's a lot of single units.......regardless, nothing else comes close to accomplishing that.  Post Uptown place is on a similar size lot, 5 stories above parking and retail and only has 227 units.  Post Gateway is in several buildings, the largest of which is 8 stories, and it has 436 units.  Something is not adding up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A little update of the 4th Ward Square. It will essentially be two buildings, one of which will be 4 stories, the other would be 6-8 stories. It turns out they will be for sale. I'm still struggling with how they will get all those units in that little space, though the rezoning is really just for a maximum number of units, they could very well be less. They might be building in some flexibility to present to lenders since they have not yet gotten financing.

i hope that the siding isn't stucco. but the design, in general, will be a good addition to graham st. i think it will help to create an eventual midrise canyon along n graham street. I just hope someone can figure out how to convert springfield sq into a higher density/higher quality development.

"

Although design details are still being determined for future buildings, Thornburg knows how he wants to proceed.

"We want the block to look like it was developed over time," he said. "We'll vary materials, designs and building heights so everything doesn't look homogeneous."

"

from the observer article has me hoping that even if the typical brick and stucco, if used, will only be subset of overall project.

there is a risk, though, that if they lean too heavily on brick base + stucco middle + wood top that they will look just like cityview, park plaza, and so many other projects.

it seems silly to spend to much on jennair appliances and all that, if the outside looks cheap. We'll see.

i guess i'm off my 'stucco is crap in all cases' kick. i guess if it is blended in with other more quality materials, and isn't on the high-traffic-gateway-to-the-city street, i'm okay with it.

do you know if the roof is expected to be copper or clay tile? it is hard to tell the difference in these drawings.

What the heck is a "citadin"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently the reference is to French where the word means townsmen. However I think its usually in reference townsmen who choose to live and work in the suburbs. Hmmmm.. .. maybe they messed up on that one. :lol:

Why do buildings in Charlotte have to have French names?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A quick search found 3 different possibilities.

1. Nina Ricci Lip Care

Satin Effect Lipwear #09 Mauve Citadin

$29.00

2. Louis Vuitton Citadin Handbag

$805.00

This multi-purpose city bag combines the elegance of classic Louis Vuitton

design signatures with the durability and style of modern fabrications.

Designed for everyday use, with a book-sized outside pocket and inside

pockets for accessories and phone. Held over the shoulder or across the body

with a comfortable strap.

3. There is also a French novel titled "Le citadin : chronique," which translates

to "The city-dweller: chronic"

So out of those 3, my guess that The Citadin project is probably trying to be fancy with a French name. Although "The Lip Gloss Apartments" or "The Handbag Condos" would definitely have an interesting ring to it. :lol:

Ricky.....if you are looking for a site plan you will be out of luck. I do think the site was rezoned several years back, but just to a UMUD zoning. On properties such as this where the city wants a high-density use, they don't require a conditional rezoning, and if it's not conditional then you won't get a site plan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

French for "city-dweller" and also the name of a world cup ski race... a hotel in Aix-en-Provence... and the model name of a bus...

Citidin, however, appears to be a pharmaceutical compound used in treatment of: Neuritis: herpes zoster, facial paralysis, infective polyneuritis, toxic polyneuritis, metabolic polyneuritis. Neuralgies: facial, intercostal, pelvic, cervicobrachial. Myopathy: myasthenia, torticollis, myositis, muscular dystrophy.

French for "city-dweller" and also the name of a world cup ski race... a hotel in Aix-en-Provence... and the model name of a bus...

Citidin, however, appears to be a pharmaceutical compound used in treatment of: Neuritis: herpes zoster, facial paralysis, infective polyneuritis, toxic polyneuritis, metabolic polyneuritis. Neuralgies: facial, intercostal, pelvic, cervicobrachial. Myopathy: myasthenia, torticollis, myositis, muscular dystrophy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wonder if a condo comes with a lifetime prescription?

Seriously, I do think the buildings are pretty darn ugly. How many more low-rise stucco condos can uptown take? Looks like yet another McMansion slapped on top of an apartment building. What is it with Charlotte developers' love of the LaQuinta look?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, I was thinking that it also sounded like the name of a pill.

you guys are brutal!!

you'd think they actually named it "The Torticollis" and designed it to look like a red roof inn.

this is average, traditional architecture. that many people in the market prefer. the developer also states that they'll intentionally vary the design and materials with each section, so the design seen here, might even be just a small portion of the overall project.

I also wish it was a little more daring in design, but even as it is, this will be a much better project than what is currently on that block. also, the added density will do great things for north graham.

Archived