Fourth Ward Square Condominiums

tthornburg

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

this will be a great addition to graham. i agree the roof is a bit out of place for uptown. Even though it is traditional, i think there is some strategy to that. i think many people could see themselves in that kind of design versus some of the more modern designs elsewhere downtown. Clearly people like it, considering how fast the 230 S Tryon sold out. Part of architectural diversity is including some of this style, too.

I still wish for more brick, but this design will do quite well, i believe.

• 1 month later...

has anyone heard any new news on this project?

The rezoning will be heard next week, so hopefully some progress will be made after that.

i like the new rendering a lot more. The computerized version looks much less like a suburban motel, imo. Although more traditional in design than what we are used to seeing lately, i still think it will be a nice addition to graham street.

elevation.jpg

There are a few revisions on the rezoning request/siteplan:

- It will be 120' tall (although the rendering of the smith street bldg is still 5 stories)

- They will save existing street trees

- Sidewalks will be brick and curbs will be granite

There are also notes on the actual materials

- the roof will be metal

- brick veneer and stucco is mixed through the rest

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-082.htm

• 1 month later...

I recently saw something interesting on charlottecentercity.org. This is a quote from the July 8th Fourth Ward neighborhood meeting report:

"Tom Thornburg, developer of the Citadin at Fourth Ward Square, recently spoke tothe association saying that the scope of his project is getting larger, with possibly towers as tall as 20 stories fronting Smith Street, instead of the original plan for 10 stories."

Anyone have more info about this?

Here's a some stats about the property from the May 2005 "Smart Growth Online."

Tom Thornburg has asked the City Council to rezone a 3.5-acre Fourth Ward block for mixed use, which would let him replace its 154 apartments with some 450 condos above 20,000 square feet of shops, restaurants and garage space.

His proposed Citadin would be the city's largest conversion of apartments to condos

Ranging from 700 to 1,750 square feet, the condos in six buildings, including two 10-story towers, will likely cost between $180,000 and $450,000. The first four-story building will offer four penthouses, mostly one-to-two bedroom condos, and a fitness center.

Construction could start by early fall, with the first building to be completed in about 13 months.

• 1 month later...

Latest plan submited to the City. This was done less than a month ago. There are two nice size towers on the third page. Atlrvr what do you make out of this? The plan calls for two 22 story towers. I missed that on the bottom. THIS IS FREGGIN' GREAT !!!!!!!!!

A2

MOD EDIT: updated link. for some reason, you can't link directly to the PDFs on the charmeck.org site .

For what it's worth, there was a crane in the center of the Fourth Ward Square complex yesterday afternoon.  There were a couple of photographers hangin' in a basket at different heights taking pix of the skyline.  It's progress at least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TC, huieon39 saw that too. I think if you read my post it will explain what I think they want to do. I am betting on a verticle strucure. Even their site plan suggests it. I bet the owners were wanting perspective to see what the view would look like.

JMHO

A2

i'm so glad we are getting some height out of that block.  I know it isn't much, but buildings in the 8 story range really help build that DC-style density that people around here like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the edit. I was having a tough time with getting the PDF to work.

A2

The 22 story towers look like they will go up on Smith Street. I am thinking that this will be set back dramtically from Grahm. I am going to drive by on lunch and check the placement of these towers out.

Another point to mention is how far they will be from the CBD.

These towers will definately stand out it they are so far away from the cluster of existing and proposed high rises.

A2

Unfortunately I will look right at the silly thing TC :( . Maybe I will be able to see the owner of Bojangles from time to time. They are moving from their home in Hickory to the top floor of 230 S Tryon. I think they are getting the whole floor. It must be nice to be rich.

I am not happy with 230 S Tryon. I think it needs to be over there near the Hamton Inn/Hilton Hotel towers by the convention center. It looks very Floridian. Not that there is anything wrong with that in itself, just that I don't know how it will mesh with the other buildings close by. It will be different that is for sure.

latest plan submited to the county. This was done less than a month ago. There are two nice size towers on the third page. Atlrvr what do you make out of this? [The plan calls for two 22 story towers. I missed that on the bottom. THIS IS FREGGIN' GREAT !!!!!!!!!

A2

MOD EDIT: updated link.  for some reason, you can't link directly to the PDFs on the charmeck.org site .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its an interesting drawing as the buildings depicted on the notice are only about 10 stories. Wonder why the descrepcancy?

Its an interesting drawing as the buildings depicted on the notice are only about 10 stories.  Wonder why the descrepcancy?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the more detailed drawings depict 10-ish story structures, but at the very bottom there's an extremely rough outline of the 22-story buildings. At least that's what I'm seeing.

according to the site plan buildings A & B will have a proposed max height of 320 feet.

That is actually taller than the Arlington which is roughly 310 feet tall !!! Yeah Baby ! B) That will definately put the towers around 22 stories as the rendering suggest. It will also be very noticeable against the skyline.

WOW !!!

This project has all of a sudden become quite interesting.

A2

Archived