Fourth Ward Square Condominiums

tthornburg

where's the detailed drawings?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

go to the link above, click on the revised site plan, and then go to page 3. you'll see that the 8-10 story buildings have a more detailed design and are listed as phase one in the rezoning request. they are also asking for the right to eventually build twin 22 FUTURE towers on the smith street side of their block. those towers just have a napkin-style sketch.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we will finally start getting some DEPTH to our CBD!

no more jokes (bitingly true ones) about our cbd being a single street of tall towers, surrounded by a sea of parking lots.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this is very true. I can't wait to turn the page and go into the future just three years. We are going to be adding not only depth, but height. And it will be scattered all within the loop.

I heard one guy at the Chamber say that the Charlotte skyline would change more in the next five years, than we have seen in the last twenty.

That is a bold statement, but I believe it. BTW, just got back from Trademark, they are going full steam. Foundation work is well underway. Spoke with a couple of the guys on the site and the opening date is firm.

A2

One important thing that I totally forgot to post is the size of the parcel being rezoned. It is roughly the same size lot as Epicenter at 3.5 acres. The Citidan will have MORE units than the Epicenter on roughly the same size lot. This says a lot about the density of the project.

A2

Well, I wouldn't count those 22 story towers just yet. It's obvious from the plane that they are part of a "future" phase of development. We all know how those can turn out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree RHJ. I don't want to see another Park. This seems to have the feel that it will happen though. I don't know why, but I feel like this one will work just because of the location. IMO fourth ward is the most desirable place to be in Center City. Projects that seem to have problems are the ones that are not in the "right" spot at the "right" time. If you come across anything on this project though keep us posted.

I am shocked atlrvr has not posted on this one. Hmmmm ;) Could be those damn NDA's :P

A2

I wonder how residents of the historic section will feel about 22 floor towers so close to their homes blocking their views of the "real" skyline.  They could toss up enough of a fight to knock those 22 floor towers down to eight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it were me I wouldnt much care. The more people in the city, the more that will start happening so far as things to do. More people equals more stores, possibly big-name retail. More of everything. Having said that, Im not one of those that will be losing their vioew of the "real skyline"...such as it is.

I wonder how residents of the historic section will feel about 22 floor towers so close to their homes blocking their views of the "real" skyline.  They could toss up enough of a fight to knock those 22 floor towers down to eight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the towers would back up against Smith St near the RR tracks so there aren't any houses behind there to have a view blocked. And, surprisingly, Friends of Fourth Ward are totally supportive of The Vue (which will also fall into 4W) since its far enough away from that historic "core" as to not harm the character. The Citidan towers will be closer to that core, but still just far enough away that it shouldn't negatively impact it either. Plus, with no one to complain about a blocked view, this might get support also.. who knows.

The FOFW meetings will start again at the end of this month, so if I hear any feedback about this, I'll pass it on.

Just thought I would let you guys know that Emporis has updated their site to refelct the Citidan Tower proposal. According to Emporis it would be four towers ! :D

Two 10 story towers

Two 22 story towers.

This is massive. I have my doubts about this project as do some on here, but it was worth a post. B)

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/cx/?id=111832

Charlotte has always needed some twin towers, the only twin towers in the city are in the southpark area, on fairview road and they are only like 9 stories, well actually there are two sets of twin towers in southpark, and then the two towers on the 6000 block of Fairview are kinda close to being twins but not at all.

ANDDD TWINNNNNS!

we will finally start getting some DEPTH to our CBD!

no more jokes (bitingly true ones) about our cbd being a single street of tall towers, surrounded by a sea of parking lots.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My wife was at the Chamber awards dinner Wed. where Furman was given an award for contribution to the community yada yada. In His speech he said it was His dream to be able to look down from the tallest building in Charlotte and see no paved parking lots. Everyone was silent - they didn't understand. My wife let out a big yahoo. (That was her story. It may have been influenced by the wine.)

But where are ya gonna park if ya don't got no parkin lots?  Well, at least we have 1 visionary resident (besides us of course).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: right on atlrvr ! BTW, you know how I feel about those damn parking lots. :angry: Furman is my Hero to save the day, from the moat of parking lots that seem to cut the city off from being a contiguous urban paradise.

A2

Looks like alot was added to the Emporis website, including the 22 story tower over the theatre. 

Was The Park always listed as approved?

(I hate to even bring it up.........)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah. I wish it showed as "under construction", but we could not be so lucky.

A2

• 2 weeks later...

From their website.

Citadin includes three large pools: one in Citadin Parc and one on each 25-story tower.

I'm really mostly excited about the 20,000 sq. ft. of retail though.....Graham St. could really become a good neighborhood services corridor, with some more specialized retail around the future transit station.

Archived