Fourth Ward Square Condominiums

tthornburg

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we can now call it The Citidan: The Two Towers...a nice play off of LOTR

haha :lol:

This project and The Vue must be built. They are my two favorite projects (I would count Epicentre but it's under construction already) :thumbsup:

i agree... this and the Vue must be built

im not sure if it is just the angle for the rendering or what, but it seems to have some hearst-like qualities where it appears to get wider toward the top.

i cant wait until they put a skin on it.

yeah i thought so too

It will be the largest condo project in uptown Charlotte in terms of units

awesome!

i know. i do hope they won't be identical twins, though. i hope there is some minor variation like the king and queen in atl or something else that makes them distinct entities, even if they are mostly the same.

I agree with that. Keep it creative and not bland. BTW, that area will be hoppin with new restraunts and retail. It looks like the entire ground level is leasable space to retail. THis would be awesome. The other thing that will add synergy is the music district (The Lazes project) right behind the Citadan. This whole area has a serious chance to become something quite wonderful. Whenyou add the Vue, The Avenue and Trademark the skyline is really going to expand on that side of town. Now just think, the same exact thing is happening near Kennilworth, Morehead and 2nd Ward. Wow wait till these projects are built. There is NO doubt that our skyline will be considerably larger.

A2

and more important than skyline... we'll have residents spending money, walking around, filling parks, supporting businesses, doing reverse commutes or walking commutes, etc.

in 3-5 years, we should be in a less mockable situation downtown, with all the pedestrian activity, retail, and the fewer surface lots.

in 3-5 years, we should be in a less mockable situation downtown, with all the pedestrian activity, retail, and the fewer surface lots.

haha. The haters will find something though...

I wonder if this will bring some businesses to that area of town, restaurants and the like. There is not really too much up there right now...

there is quite a bit of business on north graham within blocks of the citadin. There is the more famous stuff like

CVS, Gerrard Tire, Circle K, and now the subway at 626 N Graham... but there is also an old strip mall complex right across the street from the Citadin, which could easily see improved tenants if the population continues to increase in the area.

http://virtualearth.msn.com/default.aspx?c...le=h&lvl=19&v=1

Just goofing around and I realized that Crosland owns the Arbors.....they bought them in 2001, and paid about $3.2M per acre, or $84k per unit.

It would seem very tempting to me for them to convert to condos, and easily double their investment, though I hope they tear down. They will have to building something at the same scale as The Citadin to get the numbers to work, but it would be a great opportunity for them to finally get into the high-rise scene.....

the massing is basically just like the Cielo that the architects are doing in new york.

http://www.perkinseastman.com/

no doubt they will share the underlying structure for engineering savings... but they might have a variation on the outside.

The woman at the sales office mentioned thtat they went to NY and looked at what Perkins Eastman had done there. They liked what they saw and basically (along with a condo tower in San Diego) told PE to design with those buildings in mind. Looks great!

The only negative I can see with the project is the buildings lack of balconies. One of the reasons Jim Gross's pink palace hasn't sold is there's no real outdoor space per unit. Juliet balconies don't seem to offer much to the average buyer. You certainly can't grill a burger on one and not smoke up your condo, nor can you sunbathe nude.

there is quite a bit of business on north graham within blocks of the citadin. There is the more famous stuff like

CVS, Gerrard Tire, Circle K, and now the subway at 626 N Graham... but there is also an old strip mall complex right across the street from the Citadin, which could easily see improved tenants if the population continues to increase in the area.

http://virtualearth.msn.com/default.aspx?c...le=h&lvl=19&v=1

I guess so, but looking at the area with Google Earth with all of the layers on it looked pretty blank.

I agree that the Arbors should be destroyed. Let's fill in the other surface lots first though.

anybody have an idea what the cost differencial between 2 10 story buildings, and 2 25 story buildings, as compared to 1 70 story building would be?? not exact numbers but how much more would you estimate that would be, not that i would want a 70 story building in middle of low density residential

My guess is the cost/sq ft of a 70 story building is going to be much higher than the equivalent number of stories in 10 or 25 story buildings unless land costs are very very high. The reason for this is the engineering challenges of building very tall buildings are difficult to solve and require expensive solutions that are not needed in shorter buildings.

The biggest example of this are the elevators. A 70 story building loses a bigger percentage of its floor space to elevators space because you have to construct elevators that only go to the upper floors or else the people living or working at the top would never be able to get there. If you take the traditional approach almost all the floorspace on the ground floors would be elevator space. There are ways to fix this, but it drives up the cost.

Also issues with wind, sway, escape routes, utilities etc all become more expensive as the building grows.

On the other hand, people will pay more money for higher space so it isn't just a question of land costs. Part of it is the developer has to know something about the market to decide if the risk of going taller is worth it.

• 1 month later...

so has a Sales Office openned up for this like it was supposed to yet, back in november, I had completely forgotten about this project til I saw the Charlotte Magazine, Calender for 2006, and there was a ad for citidanliving.com, anyone heard any news on this project, have they put out any renderings for the 2 25 story towers, anything?

Archived