2004 MSA Population Estimates

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The census bureau has the same criteria for all MSA's. Do you have data that shows the census is wrong?

I'm sure there's many areas in many msa's and csa's that seem dubious on the suface, but I'll take their word for it. If you want to fault anything fault the use of counties as measuring stick. Clearly Boca Raton and the rest of South Florida is much more linked than it it is with West Palm Beach, but that's one big county, so it's all included.

If you prefer use Urban Areas. I think you'll find Miami ranks near the same.

If you prefer use Urban Areas.  I think you'll find Miami ranks near the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, using UA's, the Miami area ranks even better than its MSA ranking. Nearly the entire metro is included in the UA, which is very rare. That means that, unlike most metros, there is no dead space between areas of development, which is a very good thing. This means that Miami's metro is far more connected than nearly every other metro in the country.

The Palm Beach/Miami metro argument is becoming a very common one, but as others have said, its very clear that all of South Florida acts as one metro area. Palm Beach County may not have much in common with Dade, but the interaction with Broward is huge. In the future, I'd actually look to the metro "daisy-chaining" even further north, with each new county relying only on the county directly to the south, rather than far southern Dade county.

• 4 months later...

Archived