Bill could start another incorporation effort

Charleston native

Well, I was encouraged with a lot of good news about my hometown, but lately it seems that I need bad news to keep me down! This article was in today's P & C paper. I believe there is a post about this possibility that came from vicupstate somewhere in here, but this is the official news about the bill that is being proposed from Glenn McConnell and his blockade of good bills promoting city growth. I didn't realize it at first, but I really don't like him. He comes from the good ol' boy network, and his mentality for growth and prosperity in the city is so idiotic!!!

Entire article

Twice and future town?

Legislation could give James Island another chance to pursue incorporation

BY JOHN FRANK AND DAVID SLADE

Of The Post and Courier Staff

COLUMBIA--James Islanders could get a third shot at forming a town if a bill working its way through the Statehouse is approved. Critics say the legislation is unconstitutional, just like last time...

...The new legislation is designed to affect the entire state, not just James Island and Charleston. It would allow the incorporation of towns with as few as 7,000 residents, rather than the current minimum of 15,000. It also would let unconnected properties be part of the same town if they are separated only by certain public lands or waters. That provision is tailor-made for James Island, where annexations by Charleston have divided unincorporated areas of the island.

Charleston Mayor Joe Riley went to Columbia to denounce the bill Wednesday at a House Judiciary subcommittee hearing, calling it "terrible, sorry, shortsighted legislation."...

..."Communities should have a say in how their neighborhoods are configured," said Joseph K. Qualey, who was a James Island town councilman until the town was dissolved in January as a result of a Supreme Court ruling last summer. "They should not be governed by people who don't live there."

The Municipal Association of South Carolina opposes McConnell's bill, saying it's bad for cities and unconstitutional, according to Executive Director Howard Duvall. "You shouldn't pass bad public policy to take care of a local squabble," he said. "If we are to rely on the larger cities to be the economic engines of the state, which they are, then their powers of annexation must be protected." Annexation allows cities to grow by enveloping neighboring lands that touch city boundaries, with the permission of a majority of landowners involved. It's a power the Municipal Association would like to see expanded.

Three bills that would give cities more power to annex have been introduced this year, but all remain bottled up in the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is chaired by McConnell. One of the bills would allow cities to annex "doughnut holes" of land surrounded by city land. That scenario would allow Charleston to annex substantial parts of unincorporated James Island and West Ashley. Another bill would allow cities to annex property based upon population density, which could expand the limits of Charleston and other growing cities. A third would reduce the percentage of landowners whose permission is required from 75 percent to 65 percent. Sen. James H. Richie Jr., R-Spartanburg, sponsored all three bills...

...Riley said the measure would cause "a very damaging Balkanization of almost every community in South Carolina."

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the MASC has the right idea. The doughnut holes idea.

This is the first that I have heard of this in SC:

"Another bill would allow cities to annex property based upon population density, which could expand the limits of Charleston and other growing cities."

That would be fantastic. This would solve alot of our annexation restriction problems, which is our main complaint in many a thread.

I agree completely. The bill that would allow annexation of land based on population density would be tremendous. The main problem is that these bills are being held up because of Senator McConnell. He is blocking that bill and the others since he is President of the Judiciary Committee.

The bills for "doughnut holes" or population density are excellent ideas, and they need to be pushed to be voted for. Is there any way that we could do something about it, like contact our representatives and senators? I would be interested in doing...maybe we could even initiate an official petition?

Archived