14 Screen Theater coming to the Nside

vicupstate

14-screen theater coming to River City Market Place

Liz Flaisig

River City Market Place developers today confirmed a deal for a 14-screen movie theater at the 1.3 million-square-foot mixed-use development on Jacksonville's Northside.

Portland-based Wallace Theaters will open a 54,300-square-foot complex on the southern side of the development near Interstate 95 by spring 2006, said Chuck Bludworth, vice president of development for shopping center and commercial developer Ramco-Gershenson Properties Trust (NYSE: RPT).

Bludworth said the lease deal closed last month, but declined to disclose the lease value.

Wallace operates 54 theaters throughout the country, but Jacksonville will be its first in Florida.

River City will include residential units and a hotel, and will be anchored by a Wal-Mart super center.

Other tenant announcements of national and local restaurants and retailers are expected to be released within the next 90 days, Bludworth said.

River City sits at Duval Road and I-95, near Jacksonville International Airport.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news for the Northside, but bad news for downtown. This new theatre location might end all chances of a cinema in downtown. I think a Muvico would be awesome if they could fit it into the new Landing! But that may never come to pass, if there's a competing theatre in the Northside.

Urban I don't think that is true. This movie theater would be so far from downtown that it is basically negligable. This theater is basically out by the airport. Think about how far from downtown that is. You forget how big the Northside really is. I don't think one movie theater by the airport would hurt the chances of a theater being built downtown.

I agree.  Even with the new theaters, there still arent any theaters to serve downtown or the intown neighborhoods like Riverside, Avondale, San Marco (unless you count SM Theater), Springfield, etc.  I think downtown will be ready for a movie theater complex within 2-5 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Downtown is ready now. Personally, I would drive past the AMC Regency 24 to go to one Downtown, especially since there is much more to do after. Foe example:

Theater Downtown - A stroll on the riverwalk

Theater in Arlington - A stroll down Arlington Expressway

Theater Downtown - A drink at London Bridge, Burrito Gallery, Eclate, etc.

Theater in Arlington - Get in my car and drive to Bennigans

I could keep going, but you all get the point.

^ :rofl: This sounds fun.....

Theater Downtown - Hang out at Friendship Fountain with river views

Theater in Arlington - Hang out in the food court with river views....on the Jacksonville mural

Theater Downtown - Ride the Skyway to the new Main Library for some books and coffee

Theater in Arlington - Ride your gas-guzzler to the University Branch library....

:rolleyes:

Living in San Marco and then in Murray Hill, I used to go to the St Johns theater on Roosevelt, but um, now it's a strip mall. Then we went to the Jax 10 on 103rd, but it got demolished too-not that I don't understand why-we went there for private screenings of movies :whistling: . We pretty much only go to the San Marco theater now to avoid the OP/regency/tinseltown drive- if they aren't showing it we just catch it later. A movie theater downtown would be AWESOME :D

I never go to the Regency movie theaters.  I drive from Riverside all the way to the Avenues or Tinseltown to see a movie.  I am sure there are many like me who do the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never go to the Regency movie theaters.  I drive from Riverside all the way to the Avenues or Tinseltown to see a movie.  I am sure there are many like me who do the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not go to AMC 24 in OP (Orange Park)?

Archived