A solution to our annexation problems

Spartan

All of us have complained about the borrid annexation laws in this state. Infact, many of the threads we have here explored this fact. CharlestonNative posted about an article concerning the reincarnation of the Town of James Island. In it, I read this blurb:

"Another bill would allow cities to annex property based upon population density, which could expand the limits of Charleston and other growing cities."

This could seemingly be the answer to everythign we complain about with regards to annexation. The density concept would put our laws on par with NC's. I understand theirs to be based on density.

I want to know what bill this is, so I can contact my representatives.

I plan to explore this idea soon with some maps. My GIS is having some issues being that it runs on a microsoft platform. Once this has been corrected I plan to analyze what the city limits could look like based on various densities. Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas on this would be appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, and here is the article that contains this information.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may wish to review the http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...opic=10282&st=0 thread which I did something similar. I used block group data though, not census block, but based it on a 1000 ppsm density, while using some discretion to determine which bordering city would annex a particular area. Of course, I completed this in a short period of time - so you may choose to be more detailed than I was.

But you are having problems with ArcGIS 9x on a windows platform? Are you running XP or something - which is why we're still on 2000.

Not exactly. its ArcGIS 9.0 (maybe 9.1) on XP. The problem was that I accidentilly set my system clock ahead by a few weeks. When I realized it, and set it back, ArcMap decided it wasnt going to work. It turned out that it generates a prefetch file that needed to be deleted. So it works now. The fun part now is that the damn thing wont run VB code anymore, so its not quite as useful as it should be.

I will probably get similar answers to yours. I just want to see a map of what they could look like.

Not exactly. its ArcGIS 9.0 (maybe 9.1) on XP. The problem was that I accidentilly set my system clock ahead by a few weeks. When I realized it, and set it back, ArcMap decided it wasnt going to work. It turned out that it generates a prefetch file that needed to be deleted. So it works now. The fun part now is that the damn thing wont run VB code anymore, so its not quite as useful as it should be.

I will probably get similar answers to yours. I just want to see a map of what they could look like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I admit I'm not too familiar with that - but I am familiar with VB code errors, they are a pain in the butt (especially migrating from 8x to 9x). But sorry - not familiar with that kind of problem.

Speaking of 9.1 - release date is June & will 'unlock' a butt load of functionality including free extensions & the following:

New Improved Data-With ArcGIS 9.1, all users have access to 150 m worldwide natural view imagery and nationwide street data that was previously available in the ArcGIS StreetMap extension.

http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/about/whats-new.html

Thats kinda cool. I look forward to that one.

VB is a beotch. Its not that I can't code, its that the code wont run. I lost some kind of extension or critical file that I needed when I deleted those files from the future. Technology isn't all its cracked up to be :rolleyes:

Archived