The Tri-Cities Area

wrldcoupe4

Just today in the Richmond Times Dispatch (Richmond's newspaper), there was an article of how Prince George County (just east of Petersburg) landed an intermodal terminal for Norfolk Southern Railroad that will cost $11.3 million and will pump $665,000 of new dollars into the county's revenue bank each year. It appears that there were some local residents who were opposed to landing the transportation hub, but it was passed anyway. I guess the county thought it was more beneficial to have more revenue than to not land the hub and have a few local residents happier. Anyway, I think it's good that Prince George County got it and hopefully it will spark more economic development in that area. It's a pretty rural part of the Richmond metro, so there is a ton of potential of expanded growth. Click here for more details.

Edited by eandslee

Hey I remember hearing that Hopewell is doing a downtown revitalization project...anyone have any details on that? I also wish something could be done about poor petersburg. It's got such high unemployment and poor schools, its really sad. When I drive through it on 95, you can feel the death of the place. I really hope something can be done to help bring it back, especially something that would capitalize on all the historic structures.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like tri-cities and Richmond in general came out on top of the latest round of base cuts:

"Fort Lee would double its personnel from reductions at other bases across U.S.

BY ANDREW PRICE

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

May 14, 2005

In the fight to stay open, Fort Lee is gaining reinforcements.

The Defense Department yesterday recommended realignments and consolidations that would add 7,344 personnel to the Tri-Cities area installation nearly doubling the number of military, civilians and contractors working there.

If these recommendations are approved, approximately 6,500 military and 1,100 civilian positions would be brought in for a huge net gain at Fort Lee, said Col. John Angevine, garrison commander.

"This will change the face of Fort Lee for the next century with the increase in soldiers," Angevine said.

Most of Fort Lee's growth comes from the realignment and consolidation of other military centers.

The only proposed transfer from a Virginia base comes from the realign- ment of Fort Eustis' Transportation Center and School. Other proposed realignments include:

* Ordnance Center and School from Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md.

* Missile and Munitions Center from Redstone Arsenal, Ala.

* Transportation Management Training and Culinary Training from Lackland AFB, Texas.

* Defense Contract Management Agency Headquarters from leased space in Alexandria.

* Defense Commissary Agency consolidation from Eastern and Midwest regions............"

rest of the article

This is SUPER, EXCELLENT news for the area! The base will DOUBLE in size and the base is located in a place where it could really use a shot in the arm! I was elated to see that Fort Lee was going to gain from the BRAC. This also means that hundreds of millions of more dollars will be spent in the area...an economic boon for the area! Military bases DO make difference, trust me!

From nbc12.com

Fort Lee is one of the big winners in the BRAC process. Here's the breakdown: 1,000 more military positions, 1,100 more civilian jobs and 5,000 more students. The growth would mean $600 million in new construction. That is in addition to the current $860 million impact Fort Lee has on the local economy every year.

"We're going to change the face of Fort Lee for the next century," says Col. John Angevine, Garrison Commander. "Looking quickly at what the recommendations are, we're the second largest increase in the state of Virginia."

Defense General Supply Center in Richmond picked up six new civilian jobs. Rep. Eric Cantor, R-VA says, "Those being the two big employment bases in the district, I do think that Richmond looks real good on the BRAC list."

"We're going to change the face of Fort Lee for the next century," says Col. John Angevine, Garrison Commander. "Looking quickly at what the recommendations are, we're the second largest increase in the state of Virginia."

Not only is it the second largest increase in the state of Virginia, but it is like the second or third largest gain of any base in the U.S. under the BRAC!! This is going to make Fort Lee a MAJOR Army base just like Fort Hood in Texas and Fort Bragg in North Carolina! I have to say that I wasn't expecting that, but hey, I'll take it! Like I said before, I cannot say enough how good this will be for the local economy! It also appears that the military likes certain states with which to place their military bases. Those most popular states happen to be Florida, Texas, California, and Virginia. Believe it or not, I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of life that exists in those states (and the fact that there are strong political lobbying forces behind base locations in these states). I'm just glad to see that Virginia is on that list and will benefit from the military pumping millions upon millions of dollars in the Viriginia economy. Go 'ol Virginy!

Not only is it the second largest increase in the state of Virginia, but it is like the second or third largest gain of any base in the U.S. under the BRAC!!  This is going to make Fort Lee a MAJOR Army base just like Fort Hood in Texas and Fort Bragg in North Carolina!  I have to say that I wasn't expecting that, but hey, I'll take it!  Like I said before, I cannot say enough how good this will be for the local economy!  It also appears that the military likes certain states with which to place their military bases.  Those most popular states happen to be Florida, Texas, California, and Virginia.  Believe it or not, I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of life that exists in those states (and the fact that there are strong political lobbying forces behind base locations in these states).  I'm just glad to see that Virginia is on that list and will benefit from the military pumping millions upon millions of dollars in the Viriginia economy.  Go 'ol Virginy!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea I'd say the fact that Sen. Warner is the Chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee didn't hurt :D Petersburg and Colonial Heights could definitely use the boost from Fort Lee they'll be getting.

I don't go to southpark much if ever, but it seems that it will soon have a brand new cineplex

"Southpark Mall to get new tharticleeater

Richmond Times-Dispatch

May 21, 2005

Southpark Mall to get new theater

The Regal Cinemas at Southpark Mall are about to become much bigger.

A free-standing 16-screen movie theater will be built at Southpark Mall in Colonial Heights, complete with stadium seating and all-digital sound, mall officials announced.

The six-screen theater that is now inside the mall will remain open while the new theater is built outside. Construction is scheduled to begin in the summer of 2006.

The new theater will be called the Regal Cinemas Southpark Mall Stadium 16. When it is completed, the old theater will be turned into a food court......"

Hopewell, which was a World War One boomtown of about 50,000 people attracted by chemical factories, is cleaning up its act. Now, with only about 25,000 inhabitants, efforts are being made to beautify its central core.

One of the downtown Hopewell features is the Beacon Theatre (variously called the Broadway). Plans are moving ahead to reopen it as a modest-sized performing arts venue. It has a stage house (tho small) that could accommodate plays and musical presentations.

Carytown type retail hopefully can be established along City Center streets.

The addition of 7000+ military & civilian personnel at Ft. Lee may spur this redevelopment.

I agree about Petersburg. It could really be a great city. There is a great deal of history there. It's a shame it isn't coming back like Richmond at the moment. Hopefully soon its time will come..... I think I've posted the Hopewell revitalization plan...if not I can. It looks great!

• 4 weeks later...

A consortium of Tri-Cities and surrounding counties (Dinwiddie, Prince George and as far south as Emporia) want to create an organized advertising push to promote what they call The Crater attractions. I read it today in RTD.

And Ryan has posted more pictures of Petersburg as has John on RCW. Take a look.

• 2 months later...

this seems to have slipped by us all....not sure when it was completed, but it seems like it is the first of several midrise riverfront condo towers in Hopewell...

from emerald construction:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.emeraldconstruction.com/images/portfolio/thebeacon.jpeg[/img

The Beacon at Anchor Point scroll down to it...

this seems to have slipped by us all....not sure when it was completed, but it seems like it is the first of several midrise riverfront condo towers in Hopewell...

from emerald construction:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.emeraldconstruction.com/images/portfolio/thebeacon.jpeg[/img

The Beacon at Anchor Point scroll down to it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen ads for Beacon at Anchor point - I believe there's one in Discover Richmond - but don't believe the existing building is as big as planned - maybe 6 floors. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it's official that BRAC has approved the transfer (or hiring) of 7300 military and civilian personnel to Ft. Lee. Unless Congress rejects it (unlikely), it should mean at least 15,000 new residents in the area.

For those who don't know, Ft. Lee is in Prince George county halfway between Petersburg and Hopewell (the two cities are separated by about 10 miles) on Route 36. It is about 25 miles south of Richmond and is considered to be in the Richmond statistical population area. :)

• 2 weeks later...

AHA!! I knew I wasn't dreaming...The Beacon at Anchor Point Mid-rise website:

The Beacon

view from one of the balconies:

imagesP4200230.JPG

imagesP1010126.JPG

by the way, this property sits adjacent to the Appomattox River

almost has a modern feel to it...

imagesP1010142.JPG

and for details on the whole anchor point development:

"Anchor Point consists of approximately 89 acres. Of that space, the Marina occupies 8.12 acres; the Beacon Building site is 2.32 acres; and 19.97 acres are preserved floodplains and wetlands. An estimated 63 acres remain for future development of one to six additional buildings, based on market demand."

its 20 minutes from downtown...not bad.