The Tri-Cities Area

wrldcoupe4

SO what would Petersburg's identity be? It does get kind of lost in Richmond's shadow. Would it be an improvement to get a more modern skyline or is it good as it is? I know I'm ignoring the little places.

• 2 months later...

SO what would Petersburg's identity be? It does get kind of lost in Richmond's shadow. Would it be an improvement to get a more modern skyline or is it good as it is? I know I'm ignoring the little places.

Petersburg's identity should be civil war everything, but b/c of mismanagement and political bickering for decades it's identity is currently "that place you go only when the sun is up". Now, of course, that's not true for the entire city, as there are jewels of neighborhoods there like sycamore st. But by and large that's the perception that people have of it.

Only very very recently has anything good been happening downtown. The new restaurants are somewhat sophisticated and are luring more and more people from colonial heights (where I grew up). If anyone ever wants a vision of what downtown petersburg should / could be go hang out at cockade alley right over the appomattox bridge. There's a delightful restaurant hidden in there calld Brickhouse Run. The owners actually got sledgehammers and tore up the asphalt (with the city's approval of course) to reveal the beautiful cobblestones underneath. But why? Why did they have to do it? Why won't the city of petersburg cash in on all of its history? It frustrates me to see such a historic and (could be) beautiful town sit and fester.

P/burg truly is coming into its own, rhq247. Brickhouse is not the only new restaurant in and around Old Town. Wabi Sabi is another, and there is still another whose name, at the moment, I cannot remember.

And guess what? Sycamore Rouge (what a great name! :) ), the new club/cafe/theatre on Old Street is about ready to open a Burlesque show! That's right: songs, skits, fan dancer and the works. It will run thru October; can't wait to see it. :lol:

Edited by burt

rhg247 welcome. And when it comes to cobblestones.. we need to uncover them or put them back them in all historic areas. I don't think of Petersburg as being dangerous, I do hear it is one reason our area is the STD capital of Virginia. So in a way, what you're saying is that Petersburg should be more like Fredericksburg? That'd be neat. Oh and I also liked watching College Hill at VSU this year. They had many shots from Petersburg as well as Richmond in the show.

• 4 weeks later...

There's an excellent piece in today's RTD Business section titled "Urban Pioneers" along with a slide show. It recounts Petersburg's resurgence, and Guy, if you in the kindness of your heart could link it, I'm sure everyone will be most appreciative - especially inept Burt. :)

Edited by burt

Thank you so much, Guy, for linking the Petersburg story. But one of the reasons I am reluctant to learn linkage is because I'm sure I would do something illegal on UP.

Do you or do you not have to write a little prologue before posting the actual story? I note that you did not in this instance. :dontknow:

Coupe, you've got to get to Petersburg with your camera. Take the g/f, have dinner in one of the new/old restaurants on Bollingbrook or Old streets and take in the burlesque show (not the naughty kind, I'm sorry to say :lol: ) at Sycamore Rouge. Be sure to snap pictures of those great houses on the High Street.

Thank you so much, Guy, for linking the Petersburg story. But one of the reasons I am reluctant to learn linkage is because I'm sure I would do something illegal on UP.

Do you or do you not have to write a little prologue before posting the actual story? I note that you did not in this instance. :dontknow:

Sorry for the delay, burt. Somehow your 2nd sentence slipped by. If you provide a link we do like for you to say a word about the story. Just a little info on what is about and perhaps your feelings about it.

For instance you could have done this:

There's an excellent piece in today's RTD Business section titled "Urban Pioneers" along with a slide show. It recounts Petersburg's resurgence, and Guy, if you in the kindness of your heart could link it, I'm sure everyone will be most appreciative - especially inept Burt.

http://www.richmondtimesdispatch.com/servl...s=1045855934855

Well, thanks,Guy, but I'm still a bit confused.

Your entry at 9:50 am yesterday just said: "You betcha, Burt. Here ya go." and the link followed. You didn't say anything about the newspaper story.

I really appreciate getting you or others to post links for me, and I think I will continue in that mode. Besides, it's one less clutter for my poor old brain. :lol:

I was just linking the article for you so no need to really say anything. We aren't quite that rigid. :lol:

Hey all Just letting you know that our Ribbon cutting should be in the Hopewell news for the "Point on The James" located on the Golf course at Jordan Point country Club. All you Guys and Gals come on by Tuesday evening the 15th between 5:30 and 8:30 and enjoy a cool beverage at the patio Tiki Bar or the 400# Carved Ice bar in the foyer, Add some emtertainment in the Ballroom and have some food prepared by yours truly!

Burt & Company I will take my first stab at posting pictures on Wednesday Afternoon!

Make sure you tell em that you are from this Forum!!

In news for petersburg from the Richmond times-dispatch. Form Story "The art, buildings reel'em in".

Musicians in Petersburg along Kimberly ann's and the Chesterfield hotel entertain visitors along Sycamore Street. This happened after an art show of 20 exhibits for the 3rd anniversary of Friday for the arts.

I think they have them in Fredericksburg too. My aunt picked me up from college for Spring Break the day before my 22nd birthday which happened to have been a Friday and one of her old professors invited her to view some of his work.

• 1 month later...

Interesting article on how the Expansion of Fort Lee will impact the Tri-cities Area and the Richmond region as a whole:

Fort Lee to double in size

I foresee this area of town literally bursting at the seams here in several years. What a huge boon this will be for the area! Now is the time to invest in real estate near Fort Lee!