The Tri-Cities Area

wrldcoupe4

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

A little outside the Ricmond city limits, but still a part of the metro region, Hopewell has some big plans in store for being a town of only 20,000 people. There are plans afloat by a developer to build 5 condo towers and marina along the riverfront of Hopewell. Looked like great plans to me.

A little outside the Ricmond city limits, but still a part of the metro region, Hopewell has some big plans in store for being a town of only 20,000 people. There are plans afloat by a developer to build 5 condo towers and marina along the riverfront of Hopewell. Looked like great plans to me.

Sounds awesome. Any renderings?

Hello, vaceltic. If you haven't explored the Tri-Cities Area thread here, check it out. Wonderful map of planned development and other news about Hopewell. BRAC's announcement of over 7000 additional personnel at nearby Ft. Lee will mean a fairly rapid population increase (7000, with dependents and outside contractors will translate to probably more than 15,000 total).

Edited by burt

Thanks vaceltic.... in fact, we have discussed some of this. I think the condo project is called beacon pointe or anchor pointe or something like that. The are also undertaking a wonderful downtown revitalization. While the city of Hopewell is one of the smaller localities (cities) in the Richmond area, to see it thrive would be fantastic. I'd like to see the same in Petersburg and Colonial Heights as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Petersburg Nets 500 new jobs!!!!

Petersburg will get 500 jobs

StarTek's new customer-care facility is good news for city with 7.1 percent jobless rate

BY JEFFREY KELLEY

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Oct 18, 2005

A Denver company announced yesterday that it will bring 500 jobs to Petersburg, a city that has an unemployment rate nearly twice the state average.

StarTek Inc., a provider of business-outsourcing services, said it will open a customer-care facility in the city and begin operating in January..........

StarTek works with clients mainly in the telecommunications industry in categories such as customer care, technical support and supply chain management.

Clients also include companies in the information-technology, consumer-products, cable-television and entertainment industries.

Last year, StarTek announced that it would open call centers in Lynchburg and Henry County. With the Petersburg facility, the company will employ more than 1,500 workers in Virginia, Gov. Mark R. Warner's office said.

The announcement is particularly good for Petersburg, which has one of the state's highest unemployment rates. The latest figures, from August and provided by the Virginia Employment Commission, show the city at 7.1 percent unemployment, compared with Virginia's 3.7 percent and the U.S. average of 4.9 percent.

Petersburg Mayor Annie M. Mickens said yesterday in a statement that the Star- Tek jobs announcement is the largest of its kind in recent history.

"Five-hundred jobs is a significant announcement in and of itself," said Vandy V. Jones III, manager of the office of economic development in the city, home to roughly 33,000 people. He added that the StarTek facility will be near an area of Petersburg that is experiencing steady commercial and industrial growth......

whole article....

I was going to post this in Richmond Business because I consider Tri Cities as part of Metro Richmond. I guess that's stretching things a bit. Anyway, I'm glad for Petersburg. There is a lot of renewed interest in downtown Petersburg, especially in art circles. The city's inventory of old and historic buildings is astounding.

Edited by burt

• 2 months later...

Agreed. Thanks for posting the info on the Sycamore Rouge. It seems that these art circles are the brave frontiersmen, entering and thriving in places that other people wouldn't have thought twice about (take manchester for example).

Petersburg has a long way to go, but if it could become revitalized, I think it could be one hell of a town. Old Town looks fantastic, and from what I hear is way underpriced. As Richmond continues on its healthy road to rebirth, I hope developers and others will look to Petersburg as a place to reinvent. In the long term, I envision a bustling, almost smalltown feel in Petersburg. People living there could then take the short commute to Richmond, via light rail or some other high speed connection.

Logistically and geographically, petersburg is at a great location. It's at the junction of I-95 and I-85, with I-295 close by. Historically, it's a gem.

I'm off to check out bowtie and maybe a few other places before the rain arrives.

have a good day :thumbsup:

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Dredging of Appomattox will help Revitalize Petersburg

Historically, the City's harbor served as the focal point for a tremendous level of activity in the City. Unfortunately, due to various factors, the harbor is no longer accessible to the downstream navigable portions of the River. This is poised to change, however, for the better and with potentially dramatic positive results for the City, as the City seeks to restore the harbor and make it once more a focal point of the City and its historic downtown. Restoration of the City's harbor will serve as a catalyst for downtown revitalization, enhance opportunities for historic preservation, and restore the City's waterfront to a vibrancy not seen for half a century.

Richmond Magazine had a special insert, "South of the James," which highlighted Petersburg's comeback. It noted the problems and recent good news down there, in regards to revitalization. Great article. Can't find it online though...

it was called:

"Great Expectations: Artists, dreamers revive Petersburg"

second thought... IT could have been called City in Transition as well... :lol: the point is that it was a good story!

• 1 month later...

Thought you'd like to see this article burt, it talks about the Sycamore Rouge in Petersburg, located in the Old Towne area....

Sycamore Rouge Revealed!

Yes. I liked that Coup. It and WABI SABI are bringing some much needed attention to Petersburg.

I want you to drive down there and take some pictures - exteriors and interiors - of SYCAMORE ROUGE as well as WABI SABI and the Arts Center on Sycamore Street that was formerly known as Shockoe Art Gallery in American Tobacco at 21st and Main in Richmond.

Also drive along High Street and look at the wonderful restored homes - many Ante Bellum. You'll find it an eye-opening experience! :) Stop in the Information Center next to the old Market for brochures and maps.

Edited by burt

Richmond Magazine had a special insert, "South of the James," which highlighted Petersburg's comeback. It noted the problems and recent good news down there, in regards to revitalization. Great article. Can't find it online though...

it was called:

"Great Expectations: Artists, dreamers revive Petersburg"

second thought... IT could have been called City in Transition as well... :lol: the point is that it was a good story!

I used to subscribe to Richmond Magazine for myself and three friends. But when I complained about delay in receiving my copy when I knew that others were receiving theirs in a timely fashion, I got such rude treatment from a woman there that I cancelled all four subscriptions. I can stand a lot of things, but rudeness is not one of them.

Edited by burt

Burt... I think I might just make a trip to Petersburg over spring break to check out old towne... pictures included! :)

Good, coupe. I mean it's not like going to the Moon - only 25 miles. :lol: I think you'll be surprised by what you find. May as well tool by Hopewell, too. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'Petersburg IS Happening'

The Petersburg area is making a comeback, this time for real.

With a major military employer next door more than doubling its personnel, the area will see major new development.

That's on top of impressive gains made during the past year.

"Petersburg is happening," said developer Robin Miller. "I think it's going to explode."

I really think Petersburg has great potential. There's a good historic core than just needs some TLC. With 8200 military personnel coming to the Tricities area in 2008, it could be a real boon to the area. Robin Miller does some nice projects... it's nice to see him there.