The Tri-Cities Area

wrldcoupe4

• 3 months later...

There were two stories in today's TD and I am going to try again my cut and paste technique and post them (not in this entry, but a new one just below.) Wish me luck. :)

Oh Rats!!!! I just don't know how to do this. I give up.

Anyway, the stories about the influx as a result of BRAC enlarging its presence at Ft. Lee is very interesting. It's on the Metro page.

Edited by burt

The Ft. Lee story which I wish I could bring over here discusses the tremendous impact its enlargement is going to have all over the area -- from Emporia to Ashland.

Wish I could post it. But if you haven't read it, it's worth going over to the TD to check it out.

Edited by burt

• 2 months later...

I thought the plans for petersburg were interesting... i recently saw similar plans for the redevelopment of downtown lexington ky

two of the things that jumped out at me when I read the lexington report and I noticed were also in the petersburg report were the change of one-way streets to two-way streets with green medians and larger sidewalks. The other was the seemingly large amount of parks and green area recommended to be created...

I haven't actually been to petersburg so the meat of the plan didn't mean much other than 'sounding good' to me....

Great flickr photo set of Petersburg from John Murden of Church Hill People's News :thumbsup:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/murden/sets/72057594048646662/

I don't think many Richmonders realize what treasures Petersburg has to offer. John Murden's fotos are excellent.

Has anyone ever heard of The Rialto Theatre in P'burg? A recent article said that it was hoped the theatre could be restored. I've never heard of it, and I'm pretty up on theatre buildings. There was one called The Century on Sycamore Street, but apparently it was demolished sometime in the last 40 years.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe I have mentioned this before, but here is more about the giant tree in Colonial Heights.

It is a species of Magnolia and is the second largest of its kind in the World, It was planted in 1719. It is on the grounds of a old home called Violet Bank and there is a sign with a directional arrow northbound on US 1 just after crossing the bridge from Petersburg.

You shutter bugs may want to visit when you decide to photograph Old Town and High Street in Petersburg. :camera:

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Fort Lee expands vigorously

The base will have 12,000 more soldiers and civilian workers by 2009, plus many families coming to the area.

When you consider the easy access to Ft.Lee via Rt. 5, I-295 and Rt. 36 from Eastern Henrico, it portends big growth for all the planned developments north of the James. Southeastern Chesterfield will benefit as well.

I'm with the TV reporter: this thing is going to have a much bigger impact in Central Virginia than most people think.

Fort Lee expands vigorously

The base will have 12,000 more soldiers and civilian workers by 2009, plus many families coming to the area.

I can tell you that at the base where I live here in Montana, we have about 4,000 military members and then when you consider a couple more thousand civilians that take part in the base one way or another - all told, close to 6,000 people drive the economics of this town of about 70,000 people! If it weren't for the military base here, this town would just disappear. if only 6k people can do that to this town, just think what 12,000 people will do to the tri-city area!!! The impact will be unbelieveable!!! The tri-cities area will boom like no other. In 5 years, you will not recognize that place!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's more from in/Rich about how big an impact Ft. Lee growth is going to be for Metropolitan Richmond.

At least 12,000 permanent personnel on base in addition to 27,000 soldier trainees passing thru annually, as well as ancillary businesses popping up all around the area.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....06-26-0139.html

I remember a Ft Lee planning meeting back in December I think it was, figuring out how to quantify a budget for grants from the Defense Department. Numbers sound about right with the 12000, initially, I think it increases more after 5 years.

• 2 weeks later...