Another historic renovation in Asheville

orulz

I get the feeling that there aren't many folks from Asheville here on this forum just yet, but I thought I'd mention the Asheville Savings Bank renovation that was recently completed.

There's a good article in the Mountain Express that explains the sort of work that was done. What it basically amounts to is undoing the damage that a 1965 "modernization" did to this distinctive classical-style structure. In 1965, the bank was re-clad in pink and brown metal panels and the interior redone with "exotic materials" such as vinyl, fiberglass, and aluminum.

This is the bank I always used when I lived in Asheville, and I remember thinking to myself "what a hideous structure..." but it turns out that it was quite a stately structure beneath all the gaudy 60's metal cladding. This two story structure is in a less-traveled corner of downtown, but with this restoration and the nearby construction of Lexington Station (a seven story mixed-use structure) we're bound to see things take off pretty soon.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a nice change.  I've seen this bank before and simply did not pay any attention to it.  There are several unremarkable bank buildings in Asheville that I wish were not there.  At least they were able to fix this one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. Let's see... there's the HomeTrust, which is a suburban style office building right on the main corridor into downtown, and the Wachovia which is a hideous fortification with no windows. Both of those should just disappear. The First Union building, a six story job, isn't exactly beautiful, but it's empty now, and it's got potential so maybe someone could do something with it. Then there's the BB&T, which is an unadorned box of a skyscraper that some like but many don't - but regardless, it ain't going nowhere. I don't remember what the First Citizens looks like, so I guess that means it's nothing special either.

The only two banks that I can say have unequivocally nice architecture are the Centura near the Grove Arcade and now this one. I guess there just aren't too many banks that consider Asheville important enough to build a "signature" building there.

There are still some Aville forumers out here...

NationsBank (or BofA) at Pritchard Park was poorly thought out as well. It is set back from the street and really erodes the streetscape. The discontinuity undermines the definintion of space that the surrounding buildings create. Simply meeting the sidewalk there would make a big difference in the way that that space feels.

That is a nice change.  I've seen this bank before and simply did not pay any attention to it.  There are several unremarkable bank buildings in Asheville that I wish were not there.  At least they were able to fix this one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have seen this one too. I am glad that Asheville took a step in the more attractive direction. It looks alot better!

Archived