Triangle to have 2 Cheesecake Factory's

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez... A friend of mine who works for a major media company told me a while back that the Triangle is one of the strongest markets in the country for chain restaurants. I suppose this Cheesecake thing is an example. We've also gotten a number of unusual restaurants and concepts introduced here. So much for local mom-and-pops. :lol:

Yeah, serously - what's so great about Cheesecake Factory that it's worthy of note? Is this somehow a bigger deal than another Olive Garden, or another Outback? Is the "second Cheesecake factory" considered to be one of the rites of passage on a city's progression to becoming a metropolis? I've never been to the one at Crabtree because it's supposedly pretty expensive, and I try to avoid chain stores whenever possible. Oh, and I don't really like their weird Taj Mahal-esque facade either.

I realize that there are plenty of people who would get excited about this, but I'm not one of 'em.

Personally, I'm a big Cheesecake Factory fan. I love their food and their cheesecakes. Maybe not worth the two-hour wait to some, but it is to me.

There is a difference between getting their desserts in person and buying them from Sam's or SuperTarget. The restaurant version is fresher and better. Trust me.

If they open at Southpoint, that means it's a half-hour closer, so I'm down :)

Speaking of Raleigh restaurants... In Charlotte's new Elizabeth Ave. district a Raleigh based steakhouse is rumored to be moving into one of the buildings there. This is not NOFO. NOFO is soon to open but I just didn't know if any of the Triangle forumers may know of a well respected steak house in Raleigh that may have its sights set on Charlotte for another location.

Why would raliegh get a HRC or PH with a mall? those arent the type of chains that follow malls. Raleigh/Durham doesnt have the tourist draw that those types of restuarants would want. I'm just now thinking Charlotte may get something like this downtown with all the development there.

Well, just to prove that I'm not losing my mind I found an old article from the Triangle Business Journal dated May 25, 2001:

From the May 25, 2001 print edition

New mall draws famous restaurants

Raleigh mall eyes Planet Hollywood, Nascar Cafe, Legal Sea Foods

Katherine Kopp

LAS VEGAS

I believe HRC publicly says it isn't expanding in the US anymore, only internationally. But I think they keep opening new US locations. I believe rumors like these get started in many cities for many reasons.

1) Most of these chains have nutty cult followings that love to speculate about new city locations (yeah, some of you know who you are)

2) I think a developer might start an unofficial, behind a back rumor just to drum up a bit of word of mouth anticipation of their project. (Although that would be pretty darn un-professional.)

3) (This is probably the biggest factor) If your city gets one it is then official that the city's personal member is exactly one inch longer which will forever benefit said city in pointless VS. threads. Leading to the ultimate annihilation of any competitor cities without one. See you later Seattle, Foxwood, CT has officially knocked you off your pedestal. VIVA HARD ROCK!

ehhh, just pickin'. ;)

Yeah, serously - what's so great about Cheesecake Factory that it's worthy of note? Is this somehow a bigger deal than another Olive Garden, or another Outback? Is the "second Cheesecake factory" considered to be one of the rites of passage on a city's progression to becoming a metropolis? I've never been to the one at Crabtree because it's supposedly pretty expensive, and I try to avoid chain stores whenever possible. Oh, and I don't really like their weird Taj Mahal-esque facade either.

I realize that there are plenty of people who would get excited about this, but I'm not one of 'em.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure, The Cheesecake Factory is equivalent to the Outbacks and Olive Gardens that are placed every 20 miles on the interstate.

:rofl:

It is pretty significant to attain a renowned restaurant like The Cheesecake Factory. You may not like it, but restaurants like these are pretty selective about the markets they enter, and a market has to be meet pretty stringent population and wealth requirements to get them.

Congrats Triangle on your second!

BTW, I've never gotten people who "avoid" chain stores. I see that as being just as hoity-toity (snobish), if not more, as people who will only shop at Neiman Marcus or Saks (or whatever) because any other store is below them.

Chain stores drive down prices for everyone.

Archived