Triangle to have 2 Cheesecake Factory's

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, I've never gotten people who "avoid" chain stores. I see that as being just as hoity-toity (snobish), if not more, as people who will only shop at Neiman Marcus or Saks (or whatever) because any other store is below them.

Chain stores drive down prices for everyone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing beats buying goods produced by slave labor in Asia. Hooray for the chain store!

Sorry.....I got fed up with a forumer who has since been banned, and I suppose has had their posts deleted. He quoted people in every post and did it wrong everytime......plus he was negative......it wasn't directed at you Appatone.

Missed this one. I'll bite:

BTW, I've never gotten people who "avoid" chain stores. I see that as being just as hoity-toity (snobish), if not more, as people who will only shop at Neiman Marcus or Saks (or whatever) because any other store is below them.Chain stores drive down prices for everyone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In some cases chain stores might drive down prices for everyone. However, in many other cases, the economy of scale is not passed on to the consumer; rather, the money saved in the back end of the supply chain simply goes to support the administration (ie it pads the pockets of the suits at HQ). Many times you wind up paying extra for the name.

Discount chain retailers do drive down prices, but at what cost? Wal-mart's worldwide purchasing headquarters are located in China for a reason. They're absolutely ruthless with their suppliers. They deal directly with manufacturers, and they like to be the sole company that a given manufacturer deals with because it gives them the power to say "Either make this cheaper or we take our business elsewhere and you'll have nothing to do but shut down." So, the manufacturers (mostly in China) push their laborers harder and pay them less.

Wal-Mart tries to make it sound like they're doing America a wonderful service by providing jobs and lower prices so people can better afford their lives. There are a surprising number of rural counties in the state for whom Wal-Mart is the major employer, which may sound nice, but what is not mentioned is how when Wal-Mart began its bacteria-like growth over the land every time they set up shop somewhere, a local grocer, pharmacist, hardware shop, toy store... you name it... goes out of business. Any job at a Wal-Mart, right up to the top manager, pays like crap. All the profits from the store are siphoned out of the local economy and straight to Bentonville. Remember, now, that 4 of the 10 richest people in the WORLD are Waltons. Guess where their riches came from? these poor rural counties.

When you look at the big picture, it turns out that it didn't matter that the prices were a bit higher at the local pharmacist, because that pharmacist takes the money he made from the local people and invests it back in the community. For example, if he builds a nice home, that puts a bunch of locals to work building it, and then pays more taxes on that nicer home. He might buy nicer groceries, which gives the local grocer more money to buy a nice Christmas present for his children at the local toy store... the money stays in the local economy.

Wal-Mart has even resorted to airing commercials portraying them as "apple-pie american" and a huge contributor to all the communities that they're in. This is clearly an attempt to do away with their image as a soulless money making machine. So they make it sound nice in their commercials; anyone who remembers their "Buy American" campaign knows how truthful Wal-Mart's advertising is.

When I say I avoid chain retail whenever possible, I don't mean that I won't shop at a chain store at all. I still shop at Food Lion and K-Mart, since they're just a quick walk from my apartment, and there really aren't any local general merchandise retailers or grocers anymore. But when presented the choice between an Olive Garden and a locally owned Italian restaurant, or a Barnes and Noble and a small local shop I'll opt for the local store every time - prices be damned. I love supporting small businesses because I know that a lot of the money I'm spending there will come back and benefit the community in some way.

• 2 weeks later...

i saw this blurb in the N&O

On to sweeter news. Durham residents rejoice: You will soon no longer have to drive to Raleigh to partake of the pleasures of the Cheesecake Factory. The California restaurant chain has looked you over, noticed your Rice dieters and said: This is good.

The chain will open its second Triangle location by the end of the year -- weather and the whims of construction permitting -- at the Streets of Southpoint.

The company is betting the addition won't steal diners from its restaurant at Crabtree Valley Mall, which draws fans from as far away as Greensboro and Fayetteville.

Two Cheesecake Factories so close together is unusual, and ranks the Triangle right up there with cities like Atlanta. You hear that, Charlotte?

So I guess Charlotte having 2 Morton's and m&s seafood, that is very unusal ,THAT PUTS US IN THE RANKING WITH LA....give me a break...lol.....cheesecake factory is good but not that expensive and I doubt if Charlotte cares.....See when you start getting all these chain restaurants and department stores that are growing and expanding like a chia pet that doesn't mean anything but it's very easy to land those establishments and its nothing special anymore.....since Raleigh always have to put Charlotte in a sentence in their newspaper in a negative way , I'm going to write the N&O and tell them to go for something that is a challenge, get a Morton's or maybe 2 in one city and how about Neiman Marcus, Tiffany's or even Louis Vuitton for that matter....but I love the whole state of NC(smile).

Archived