Va. Beach Towncenter project

vdogg

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well I drove past the TC tonight and was sad to see that the last patch of trees that once stood there are now bulldozed into history. :( I always thought that they could have saved a patch and incorpirated it into the area as a pedestrian-friendly park with trees already there rather than having to wait 10 years for them to grow in the (horribly named) Central Park.

Having said that, it was actually good to see the TC in 'full blossom' as spring arrives. It is really starting to take shape in a relatively short amount of time. It looked especially cool in the foggy mist. It would be nice to see the Taco Bell and Pilot building gone in the not so distant future as well.

>>>And Vdogg, when I was referring to something being like the building in Vegas, I meant the TC building that is there now and only because it looks like three buildings in one. The Westin looks very nice from what I have seen and if it rises to 400 ft (or higher?) it will look even nicer :thumbsup:

yeah the horrible named Central Park is indeed a joke.  Hope it takes on a new name and has a make over in the future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Town Center is just full of ORIGINAL names!!! Like Central Park, Main Street, and the Cosmopolitan! What will they name the next apartment building? "Fun and Exciting"?

Where is this central park? I've never heard of it. Is it by the town center?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the Central Park sits on the side of the development by the tracks next to the altell building. Actually the park s really a grassy storm water drainage that has a medium lake to it, nothing fancy. Apperently they want to put a stage or something there, kind of like what Reston, VA has, you know to keep up with this original theme that they have going on for them.

Damn I wish I was a wealthy developer, I would build something like the Pearl district here in Portland (which has almost 100% of its 3000 units owned). With a few signature towers. Something like that would just blow that region away and in turn make me a very rich man. Why does it need money to make money? I would already be rich if I didnt have to be rich to begin with. :)

What happened to all those "tree-lined streets" that people on the Town center website and whatnot keep talking about? I see very few trees left! Numerous times Town Center was dubbed as a "green" area. I'm lost......*sigh*

Here we go. From the Town Center website:

"Pedestrian friendly landscapes with surrounding residential developments ensure easy access and conveniences for shoppers, workers, and patrons of The Town Center.

The tree-lined commercial streets will be laced with a variety of urban features interwoven with open green spaces and beautiful fountains, all providing an attractive setting in which to live, work, and play."

Just look at this pic. besides the patch of trees (which was the one that was torn down, right?), where are these "tree-lined" streets? I see very few trees at all. All by the big tower, i see no trees.

cp_1_05_e.jpg

I say if you want trees move to the woods, i thought we wanted urban for this area and the out lying areas will have all the trees you want.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see nothing wrong with green spaces in an urban environment. It adds to the character of an area to have tree lined streets and green space.

I say if you want trees move to the woods, i thought we wanted urban for this area and the out lying areas will have all the trees you want.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, there's nothing wrong with no trees. But when its advertised as being green and pedistrian friendly, then make it that way. If va. beach wants an urban wasteland, go ahead, but at least tell us that you're gonna do that!

The center does have a few trees planted on the sidewalks but they are quite small right now. I am thinking the particular species won't grow into huge trees as well. I too enjoy tree lined streets and such. Nothing like a nice urban neighborhood with tree lined strees.

Yep, the lot has been cleared and here is the sign announcing the new performing arts center. Vdogg, do you know the date construction is to start on this?

DSC02118.jpg

A random pic of the Cosmopolitan.

DSC02120.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

May 4th is the construction start date.

The center does have a few trees planted on the sidewalks but they are quite small right now. I am thinking the particular species won't grow into huge trees as well. I too enjoy tree lined streets and such. Nothing like a nice urban neighborhood with tree lined strees.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't want to have trees in a urban development that are big, it costs the city money because the roots tear up the side walks and streets. They have smaller trees for that reason.

I'm wondering... exactly how many stories is the Cosmo going to be? I know it was announced to be 14 stories but according to the pictures, at the highest point, it is already at its 14th floor. Should we expect the the roof to be added soon or the addition of 2-3 more floors before the roof is added? I won't be surprised if the latter ends up being true.

I'm wondering... exactly how many stories is the Cosmo going to be? I know it was announced to be 14 stories but according to the pictures, at the highest point, it is already at its 14th floor. Should we expect the the roof to be added soon or the addition of 2-3 more floors before the roof is added? I won't be surprised if the latter ends up being true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know. I've been asking that very same question for a while now. If the demand for all the other condo projects is any indication, the latter may very well be true.

also, you know how there are real computerized images and of the trader tower and the westin, i was wondering if anyone has seen one for the performing arts center. The drawings are too artsy at the moment to really get a feel for what it is going to look like.

Its hard to talk about one project here with so much going on in the region. I never thought this day would ever come that we would have this kind of development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah me either, but this project is actually several different projects pieced together and its just getting a bit too messy in the development thread. I have to make sure that the info is in a place accessible enough that the random person just cruising the site can easily find it.

Archived