Article Posting Policy

Spartan

• 1 month later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spartan -- FYI... the copied article in the "creative class" thread was posted last January -- long before the new policy. Noticed your comment and thought I'd point it out. Didn't want Sandy to get any demerits. :P

I agree that posting the full text of a story is right out, but given the fairly liberal climate around here, there seems to be a rather legalistic interpretation of "fair use." I realize this is something the mods must decide and it isn't up for debate. I'm also not knocking anything you've done. I just think internet laws suck. Information wants to be free! :) I'm an open-source kinda guy.

Keep up the good work, man! I know it's pretty much a thankless gig.

I did not see the date. Thanks for pointing that out. None of us here want to punish you guys, but we have to slap some wrists from time to time to get the point accross. If you copy the work of someone else it generally makes for a less interesting read. If you summarize and get the relevant facts from the article, the reader can then choose to go to the source for more information. The point of the policy is to make posts something worth reading.

By doing this, it creates quality and a more academic environment, and it will keep UrbanPlanet.org out of any potential legal action. monsoon and Neo have been contacted several times regarding the posting of copyrighted material. Fortunately there were no negative repercussions, but this is why this rule must be enforced. It is also one of the reasons the site was incorporated as UrbanPlanet Institute, LLC. It is indeed unfortuante that the legal nature of our society has restricted the flow of information. But it is here to stay, and we all must learn to live with it.

• 11 months later...

Archived