Charleston Off-Topic

Spartan

This is a thread where we can discuss anything concerning the Charleston area that would not warrant a thread of its own, or something that would not otherwise be posted on this site. Please feel free to contribute as much as you like. My only request is that you don't post entire articles in this thread. A link would be much better.

Hey i was wondering a few things? Is it affordable to live in or very near the Charleston peninsula? or even West ashley? The reason I ask is I am thinking about relocating to Charleston from Orlando, FL to be a firefighter with the City of Charleston. I currently make a base pay of around $41,000.00 a year at my current department and Charleston's starting pay is just over $25,000.00. The reason i am considering this is plain old "happiness". I love the history of the city and its fire department. I work for a modern department formed in 1981 as the consoildation of 14 separate fire control districts (some paid and some volunteer). I am not real satisfied with my present dept.,and have been up to Charleston a few times and checked out thier department. They have several firehouses on the Penninsula that were built in 1887 & 1888 and still operate today as well as another built around 1906 and another built in the early 1940's. They are a Class 1 Rated fire department, which means they are in the top 1% (less than 50 FD's nationwide) in the nation. This affects the insurance premiums on homes and buildings. It is based on several factors according to the (ISO) Insurance Services organization such as response times & density of firehouses throughout city, adequate water supply (hydrants, towers, and pressure), Manpower on units amongst other factors. I really want to plan this but i know this will change my lifestyle for awhile. I guess i'll have to rent for a long time. :wacko:

Hey i was wondering a few things? Is it affordable to live in or very near the Charleston peninsula? or even West ashley? The reason I ask is I am thinking about relocating to Charleston from Orlando, FL to be a firefighter with the City of Charleston. I currently make a base pay of around $41,000.00 a year at my current department and Charleston's starting pay is just over $25,000.00. The reason i am considering this is plain old "happiness". I love the history of the city and its fire department. I work for a modern department formed in 1981 as the consoildation of 14 separate fire control districts (some paid and some volunteer). I am not real satisfied with my present dept.,and have been up to Charleston a few times and checked out thier department. They have several firehouses on the Penninsula that were built in 1887 & 1888 and still operate today as well as another built around 1906 and another built in the early 1940's. They are a Class 1 Rated fire department, which means they are in the top 1% (less than 50 FD's nationwide) in the nation. This affects the insurance premiums on homes and buildings. It is based on several factors according to the (ISO) Insurance Services organization such as response times & density of firehouses throughout city, adequate water supply (hydrants, towers, and pressure), Manpower on units amongst other factors. I really want to plan this but i know this will change my lifestyle for awhile. I guess i'll have to rent for a long time.  :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you would like Charleston and you could probably afford to live in West Ashley on that salary, but not on the peninsula unless you were in a neighborhood you probably wouldn't want to live in. While it should be less expensive in Charleston than in Orlando, you will still feel that large of a cut in pay. I know in Columbia, alot of firefighters do landscaping work on the side (I don't know why that field is so popular for firefighters here, but it is), so you could probably do that in Charleston, too. Good luck!

Hey i was wondering a few things? Is it affordable to live in or very near the Charleston peninsula? or even West ashley? The reason I ask is I am thinking about relocating to Charleston from Orlando, FL to be a firefighter with the City of Charleston. I currently make a base pay of around $41,000.00 a year at my current department and Charleston's starting pay is just over $25,000.00. The reason i am considering this is plain old "happiness". I love the history of the city and its fire department. I work for a modern department formed in 1981 as the consoildation of 14 separate fire control districts (some paid and some volunteer). I am not real satisfied with my present dept.,and have been up to Charleston a few times and checked out thier department. They have several firehouses on the Penninsula that were built in 1887 & 1888 and still operate today as well as another built around 1906 and another built in the early 1940's. They are a Class 1 Rated fire department, which means they are in the top 1% (less than 50 FD's nationwide) in the nation. This affects the insurance premiums on homes and buildings. It is based on several factors according to the (ISO) Insurance Services organization such as response times & density of firehouses throughout city, adequate water supply (hydrants, towers, and pressure), Manpower on units amongst other factors. I really want to plan this but i know this will change my lifestyle for awhile. I guess i'll have to rent for a long time.  :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

any respectable area on the peninsula would be out of the "affordable" category. The "upper" peninsula would be the the most affordable area with prices starting in the mid 200's (you can find less if you are willing to fix up a wreck...could be a good investment). As you head south the prices head significantly north. West Ashley is reasonably affordable,but not cheap. You can generally find areas there to satisfy most budgets, though.....good luck.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CHIEF GREENBERG RETIRES

Hate to see him go, he has made Charleston a much safer place to live.

In the eye of Hurricane Hugo, amid massive damage in the city and reports of looting, he radios his officers, "Don't make any arrests. Just beat 'em. We don't have any place to put them." After the storm, he was seen keeping the peace at emergency distribution centers.

Is asked to go on sabbatical to Mobile, Ala., a city with five times the crime rate as Charleston.

The Charleston Police Department is the first municipal police agency in the state to earn accreditation.

Turns down an offer to head the Chicago Police Department.

Tells Mayor Riley that he will drop out of the running to head the District of Columbia Police Department.

It is so sad to see him go like that. I have to say if it weren't for him, Charleston might not be such a popular place to visit and live. The city and the metro area will carry on, and hopefully a suitable replacement will take his place. You know, I can't think of many other police chiefs who will tell it like it is, and show no sympathy for criminals...in other words, Chief Greenberg was never PC. I LIKE that!! :thumbsup:

Apparantly this came a bit of a suprise. I was in Charleston the morning of this announcement, and the people on the talk radio there seemed bewildered almost. He has gotten a little bit of bad press lately too. He has had 6 accidents in teh past 5 years, half of which were his fault, and I think he is accused of hitting someone? I dunno. He did do a godo job over all though, and Charleston has alot to thank him for.

• 1 month later...

MUSC heart transplant survival near tops in nation

A worthy mention, MUSC is really doing well. I hope things like this will help it establish itself as a premier research hospital. More federal funding is more than welcome. :)

Seeing MUSC attain this status is very encouraging. Who would have thought that a university hospital in SC would surpass universities such as John Hopkins and Duke?! Quite an accomplishment, and this is just the exposure the Charleston area needs to attract more biotech industries.

• 2 weeks later...

FreedomRoads, Nation's Largest RV Retailer, Acquires Camping Time RV; Georgia's Most Successful Dealership Joins High Powered FreedomRoads Team

Commenting on growth plans for the Atlantic Coast Lemonis said that, "Camping Time RV is key to our growth plans in our Atlantic Coast Region where we intend to increase our market penetration by 15-20 percent and operate in an additional four to five markets within this territory in the next 18-24 months through acquisition or building new." These markets will be Charleston SC, Macon and Savanna GA, Nashville and Knoxville, TN as well as the Raleigh Durham, NC market.

RV dealership looking to expand into the Charleston market, they already have dealerships in Columbia, Myrtle Beach and Spartanburg.

Lowcountry's million-dollar homes not all beachfront mansions

4 percent of the homes in Charleston County are worth more than $1 million - and many of those aren't on the beach or in the historical downtown area.

According to the Charleston County assessor, more than 3,500 homes are on the books at $1 million or more. And that's just the tax assessment - many more could be selling for seven figures.

Charleston County's four most valuable homes are on Kiawah, including the $17.8 million home owned by businessman Robert McNair, who also owns the Houston Texans NFL team. The fifth most expensive home, at $9.7 million, is downtown and known as the Sword Gate home.

"Nationally, we're still a good deal, even at $10 million," Stone said. "I've heard it said that Charleston is just fixing to break loose. It hasn't happened yet."

Just goes to show, someone posted poverty figures the other day that showed Charleston with the highest percentage of people living in poverty(which did not surprise me) of the 3 main metros(not by much but it was still the most.)

• 2 weeks later...

Who the heck is Jerry Zucker, anyway?

Interesting article about billionaire Jerry Zucker a Charleston local.

His Charleston-based holding company InterTech Group Inc. owns mainly obscure chemical and engineered product makers. Mr. Zucker also owns electronics companies, hockey rinks, laser tag centres, banking machine suppliers, two Charleston restaurants and commercial real estate. At various times, he's also owned banks and textile makers, including Montreal-based Dominion Textile Inc.

InterTech's world headquarters is as low key as its investment portfolio. It's located on a residential street in a hard-luck neighbourhood of North Charleston. Except for a small nameplate on the wall, the modest two-storey structure could be mistaken for a medical clinic.

The family lives a life of undeniable wealth, but not pretension. The Zuckers' principal residence is a far cry from the stately Civil War-era mansions overlooking Charleston's harbour. It's a nice, but modest, two-storey brick home in a quiet 1970s subdivision in middle-class North Charleston. The 5,100-square-foot city home is nestled in trees at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac, overlooking a marsh on the Ashley River. It had an assessed value of $364,200 in 2000, but may be worth twice that on the market.

Seems Canadians are worried about an American taking over one of their larger retail outfits and wanted some info on the guy.

Charleston Becomes a Golfing Destination

Charleston is getting some national press about it's golfing attractions, thought I would throw this in here.

This gem of the Southeastern Lowcountry is also becoming known for superb golf. Several new layouts have come on line during the last decade, joining a number of fine established courses. The Charleston area is becoming an alternative, or adjunct, to a Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head golf vacation.

Located within the Charleston area are such layouts Charleston National Country Club, Dunes West, the two courses at Wild Dunes, Patriots' Point Golf Links, Oak Point Golf Course (part of the Kiawah portfolio and located close to Charleston), Rivertowne Country Club, and the Links of Stono Ferry. These tracts stand up against any in the Palmetto State for design, playability for golfers of all abilities and price.

I'm a big fan of the local courses myself. :P One thing that is sure to increase exposure will be the PGA when it finally gets here.

• 4 weeks later...