Charleston Off-Topic

Spartan

I agree. The Chas Aquarium is going to have one thing over Atlanta, and that is proximity to other tourist attractions and destinations. School trips will not be affected, especially since Chas offers far more in terms of historic buildings and structures. My wife is a 3rd grade teacher, and she says that if they ever considered an aquarium trip, Chas would be the better one in terms of education...after the aquarium, the students would go next door for the Fort Sumter tour.

And I think the SC Aquarium is more educational in nature anyway. You can tell the GA Aquarium was spearheaded by a businessman; it actually has something of a corporate feel, in a marine biology sort of way. :)

Maybe from Anderson or Oconee... but 3 hours to Atlanta, plus Altanta traffic, or 3 hours to Charleston.... give me Charleston. Augusta/Aiken might be a different story though.

Thats probably why. Though I don't think Charleston is hotter than Columbia, it definitely should be on the list.

The heat index (how hot it feels) is usually higher in Charleston than in Columbia during most of the summer, according to WIS's weather reports.

The heat index (how hot it feels) is usually higher in Charleston than in Columbia during most of the summer, according to WIS's weather reports.

The last three times I was in Charleston it was in the middle of the summer, and I thought I was going to die. But in response to comments about Columbia's heat, I alway say, "Ever heard of air-conditioning?"

Sorry Corgi, this is not true. Cola has not received the reputation of being the hottest place throughout the state for nothing. Most of the time, the summers and springs are hotter here than Chas, and the fall/winter seasons are colder as well. Chas, believe it or not, actually is cooler since the city does have the benefit of seabreezes. Sometimes I wish they were strong enough to come up here...on a day like today! It was brutal playing softball today!

The news stations up here in the Charlotte metro area usually covers weather for both Carolinas. One day in particular (not too long ago), Columbia's temperature was the highest of all cities that were shown between the two states, and the weatherman said, "And look at the Midlands; impressive." That was funny to me. :D

Sorry Corgi, this is not true. Cola has not received the reputation of being the hottest place throughout the state for nothing. Most of the time, the summers and springs are hotter here than Chas, and the fall/winter seasons are colder as well. Chas, believe it or not, actually is cooler since the city does have the benefit of seabreezes. Sometimes I wish they were strong enough to come up here...on a day like today! It was brutal playing softball today!

The heat index is the heat index. The heat index is how hot it feels, not how hot it is, and the heat index in Charleston is usually hotter than in Columbia. The sea breeze doesn't do one much good from behind a row of buildings.

The heat index is the heat index. The heat index is how hot it feels, not how hot it is, and the heat index in Charleston is usually hotter than in Columbia. The sea breeze doesn't do one much good from behind a row of buildings.

How hot it feels IS how hot it is :)

The seabreaze help charleston tremendously. Perhaps there are a few dead spots downtown, but the're aren't that many. They built the houses there so they coudl get the seabreaze.

Charleston beats Cola for humidity, thats for sure.

Cola has got to be the hottest part of the state. One because Cola is situated along the Sandhills so as the sun beats down the ground, it radiates the ground. Pretty much up and down US 1 is the heatbelt of the state. On an occasion or two that ive heard Sumter gets the oppressive heat like the Sandhills would expect although it is just east of the Sandhills/Fall Line.

Edited by Jerseyman4

The heat index and the heat are both hotter up here. And yes, seabreezes make a big difference when looking at weather patterns. They affect wind currents and they cool the general air temperature. Any meteorologist will tell you that.

Well, the weather men I have been watching for the past 22 have shown me that the temperature is usually hotter in Columbia and the heat index (how hot it feels) is usually higher in Charleston througout most of the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been in quite a few of these lines during peak hours.

lol this is crazy, a fun read though.

Long line, short tempers stir garage face-off

Littreal's problems started when he, his wife and their 18-year-old daughter returned to their car at 10:30 p.m. after dinner at a nearby restaurant. They entered a perfect storm of congestion: dozens of people returning to their cars at the same time, grumbling as they slogged toward a single attendant struggling to feed the vehicles into streets humming with Saturday night traffic.
Edited by MikesLogic

Despite that hot-=tempered individual, it is simply unaccepatable to ahve to wait that long to get out of a parking garage. I have been in pay garages after events before, and 30 mins to an hour is unacceptable. They should not hire incompetant employees.

• 3 weeks later...

That has nothing to do with which city is older or was used as a model for the other. Charleston can still hold its own regarding its role in American history and culture. New Orleans might be a step ahead of it in this regard, but Charleston is worlds ahead of other cities, including any in South Carolina.