Charleston Off-Topic

Spartan

• 4 months later...

**Mods please relocate thread if needed**

Hello Charleston Board,

I am trying to find some information (late decisions here) regarding what kind of activities are going on in Charleston for New Years Eve. I have a group, all from Raleigh that is contemplating making a trip down there next week. Most all of the group are recent college grads, with a couple underage (20 years old) people that are looking to join. Wanted to find out if any bars and restaurants in the Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, or Isle of Palms area offer 18+ admission on NYE. Figured going straight to the locals would be my best bet at finding any information. Any info or places I could contact and inquire about age restrictions would be great. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone. I have been lurking on this board for a bit and I am hoping you guys can give me some advice. My wife, my mother, my daughter, and I will be coming to Charleston in mid April to visit/scope out Charleston. We originally are native North Central Floridians and we currently live in Lexington Ky. Well, we are Southerners at heart and although Kentucky considers itself Southern, it just isn't for us. Kentucky is beautiful and the people are kind, but we are drawn back south.Plus, my wife is not down with the winters here. We really want to move someplace closer to the coast as well. We reaaalllllyyyy miss the food. We have always found ourselves drawn to South Carolina.

So, back to April....we are hoping you could help us with a few things:

1st: Can you advise us on a good public beach to visit? We want to walk the beach together and enjoy the late afternoon there.

2nd: Can you advise on a family friendly restaurant (preferably seafood) that you guys would consider a Charleston fixture? Any good local Barbecue joints we should try?

3rd: If you were only coming for a weekend, what sorts of off the beaten path things would you guys advise us on seeing? On the beaten path things?

4th: Can you offer up some advice on a reasonably priced hotel @$150.00 a night?

I really appreciate any thing you guys can offer up...and mods if you want to move this thread feel free.

Thanks!

p.s we have visited Greenville already and the people on the Greenville board were very helpful. It was nice, but we want to be a bit closer to the coast.

Edited by GainesLexNext?

1) Folly Beach or Sullivans Island. Station 22 or 24 is convenient, though any of those streets will give you public access to the beach.

2) I don't know about seafood as much, but Melvin's BBQ on Mt Pleasant (Johnnie Dodds & Houston Northcutt) OR JB's BBQ on John's Island (Maybank Hwy) OR Mama Brown's on Mt Pleasant (Coleman Blvd).

3) Everywhere is the beaten path in Charleston. Honestly though, my favorite spot is Santi's, which is this mexican restaurant on Meeting Street.... north of the Crosstown at Morrison Dr. Not touristy at all. But you'll definitely want to check out King Street, the Market, the French Quarter, Waterfront Park, the Battery, the College of Charleston, Marion Square, Broad Street, South of Broad (neighborhood). Thats the normal visitor destinations. Perhaps a local can give you the less touristy places.

4) Don't know.

Hello Everyone. I have been lurking on this board for a bit and I am hoping you guys can give me some advice. My wife, my mother, my daughter, and I will be coming to Charleston in mid April to visit/scope out Charleston. We originally are native North Central Floridians and we currently live in Lexington Ky. Well, we are Southerners at heart and although Kentucky considers itself Southern, it just isn't for us. Kentucky is beautiful and the people are kind, but we are drawn back south.Plus, my wife is not down with the winters here. We really want to move someplace closer to the coast as well. We reaaalllllyyyy miss the food. We have always found ourselves drawn to South Carolina.

1st: Can you advise us on a good public beach to visit? We want to walk the beach together and enjoy the late afternoon there.

2nd: Can you advise on a family friendly restaurant (preferably seafood) that you guys would consider a Charleston fixture? Any good local Barbecue joints we should try?

3rd: If you were only coming for a weekend, what sorts of off the beaten path things would you guys advise us on seeing? On the beaten path things?

4th: Can you offer up some advice on a reasonably priced hotel @$150.00 a night?

I really appreciate any thing you guys can offer up...and mods if you want to move this thread feel free.

Thanks!

p.s we have visited Greenville already and the people on the Greenville board were very helpful. It was nice, but we want to be a bit closer to the coast.

1. Isle of Palms is probably the more popular beach, but many prefer the more laid back vibe at Folly Beach.

2. Vickery's on Shem Creek, Hymans Downtown, or A.W. Shucks are among the myriad of choices for seafood. For BBQ check out Bessingers in West Ashley.

3. Typical tourist things are visits to the Battery, King Street, Carriage Rides, visiting one of the Plantations all are interesting in their own right.

4. Most of the national chains will be in that price range. For local establishments it may be a little (or alot) more, but you can probably make a deal depending on the timing of your trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I do not really eat much seafood but I've been told that Hyman's Seafood on Meeting street is the best. I believe what I've been told only because everytime I past the place when I'm in Charleston, the line is out the door and about a block down Meeting st. The website is http://www.hymanseafood.com/. I think Rachael Ray did a segment on Hyman's on her 40 dollars a day show.

I want to thank everyone for the tips. My long weekend to Charleston has been sidetracked a bit, but I still hope to make it down.

Anyone have any opinions on the IT ( i.e software development ) market in Charleston?

I know some people at BenefitFocus (java developers) and they speak very highly of it.

I do not really eat much seafood but I've been told that Hyman's Seafood on Meeting street is the best. I believe what I've been told only because everytime I past the place when I'm in Charleston, the line is out the door and about a block down Meeting st. The website is http://www.hymanseafood.com/. I think Rachael Ray did a segment on Hyman's on her 40 dollars a day show.

Hyman's isn't even close to the best seafood in Charleston...no locals ever go there, b/c it's too crowded w/ the tourists...if you want great seafood, around the block is Hank's, which is much better...another great seafood place downtown is Coast Grille, at 39B John Street (near the Music Farm). Another decent seafood place is the Noisy Oyster, and if you must go to a more tourist oriented spot, go to A W Shucks or Bubba Gump, which imo, are better than Hymans. Their are some great seafood places over in Mt Pleasant as well...over there, check out Shem Creek Bar & Grille, or RBs both on Shem Creek, or just a little down the road at a great place called the Red Drum...another great seafood place is on the Isle of Palms, and it's called The Boathouse (awesome sunset views over the Intracoastal).

As for the beaches, I prefer the Isle of Palms b/c that is the only beach that has some bars right on the beach, that allow you to walk into off the beach...but Sullivan's Island is very peaceful and much less crowded...Folly Beach is cool but is crowded w/ more young people.

Not much is off the beaten path. Angel Oak over on John's Island is I guess, as it's the largest Live Oak in the state I believe...definitely check out one of the plantations...also, the area has some great County Parks...otherwise, walk the streets in the Lower Peninsula, check out Ft Sumter, the SC Aquarium, Waterfront Park, The Battery, The Market (it's not the Old Slave Market, like many people mistakenly believe), and many great old churches and houses.

You may be able to get a room for that type of rate at the Downtown Best Western and maybe a couple of other places, but I'm not sure...I think my dad when he visited me down there (My grandparents live there so I stay with them when I go down) stayed at the Ansonhouse Inn on E Bay and may have gotten a room for that...it's a cool hotel in an over 100 yr old warehouse, the rooms have the old exposed brick walls, and huge logs across the ceilings.

Edited by ohioaninSC

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a proposed 2,000 acre high-end development on Johns Island that borders Kiawah Island called Kiawah Island Plantation. The Beach Company, the developer, has been running into opposition to the development and proposed TIF to cover public improvements to the tract. Now the Beach Company is considering creating a public service district to for the development. This is totally ridiculous. One of the rare times I agree with the Coastal Conservation League.

Here's an artice in todays' P & C:

http://www.postandco...-co-development

I've been curious as to why Joe Riley hasn't tried to annex this tract. I believe it would be legal albeit it's outside of the Urban Growth Boundary line. Which is another thing I don't understand since the line was established to control urban growth on Johns Island (and parts of West Ashley). Why is okay for the county to support growth on Johns Island but not the City(?).

Edited by ZUMAN

^^ This could be true. The tract is located on the Kiawah River so I would think that would make it contiguious under SC annexation law but I could be wrong. I have always wondered what the limit is on how far a city can use waterways and marsh lands to make it contiguious to another tract to annex it. There's has to be some limit I would think.

I hope Joe Riley is not annexing it because the tract is outside the urban growth boundary. Maybe Riley feels it's too far out to service though, or doesn't want to ruffle any feathers with Johns Island residents. I know a couple years ago the city would not annex a proposed housing development on Johns Island because it was outside the urban growth boundary line.

I think I've found the answer to the contiguity question as it relates to waterways and marshlands:

"[C]ontiguous" means property which is adjacent to a municipality

and shares a continuous border. Contiguity is not established by a

road, waterway, right-of-way, easement, railroad track, marshland,

or utility line which connects one property to another; however, if

the connecting road, waterway, easement, railroad track, marshland,

or utility line intervenes between two properties, which but for the

intervening connector would be adjacent and share a continuous

border, the intervening connector does not destroy contiguity.

Pulled from this source on Page 7 :

http://law.sc.edu/environmental/papers/200841/eas/shealy.pdf

So now I doubt the city could annex this tract but it would may depend exactly where the tract is on the Kiawah River.

• 2 months later...

Popular Charleston realtor, Kristin Walker, recaps CHARLESTON's 2012 banner year performance that included a 4-year record low unemployment rate lower than the national average, downtown's continued high hotel occupancy rate (getting harder to find a hotel room downtown, more hotels needed one taller than Dockside & St. Matthews steeple--OK--Preservationists would have three cows if that happened--as we return to Charleston 2013 in greater record numbers), numerous new restaurant openings too many for Kristin to begin to list, the real estate market's recovery and growing upward trend and, my favorite categories to ponder though seriously "we" don't cater to polls, Charleston voted #4  (a graceful slip from number 1---we're taking Kristin's word on this one since I shut down the list when I came across Austin and didn't want to read anymore so fearful of reading into ppl's opinions) for having the most attractive people in the USA and #4 as the most inebriated city (Charlestonians love their cocktails; pretty sure New Orleans is #1 here, and San Francisco can't possibly be that far behind either) in the country... 

ZpIMG_1874-1-18CHARLESTON_zps0a83925d.pn

IMG_2553-1.jpg

Edited by Charles Pearson

• 1 month later...

The “Little Free Library” is Why I Love Living in Harleston Village
Posted on February 14, 2013 by Kristin B. Walker

This post will be short and sweet, but I am so absolutely delighted by this I had to share it. Plus it’s Valentine’s Day, which is all about love, and I LOVE this...

kristin-walker-harlestonvillage-chas.jpg

• 2 months later...

Mayor Joe Riley held 3 meetings last week to discuss the potential merger of MUSC and the College of Chas:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20130416/PC16/130419406/1165/musc-college-of-charleston-officials-discuss-potential-merger

Seems like a remember some discussions a few years ago concerning the merger of the College of Chas and The Citadel. 

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

• 2 months later...

Travel & Leisure Magazine has named Charleston (SC...or rather Charleston, NC? wherever that is...as listed erroneously by San Francisco Chronicle...Left Coasters still can't distinguish NC from SC for some reason which irks me...) as the 9th snobbiest City in the USA. San Francisco was the snobbiest at #1...

San Francisco, America’s snobbiest city?

That’s what Travel & Leisure magazine says. Guess it depends on the neighborhood. They focused in on Hayes Valley:

“To shop at hip boutiques, browse galleries, and dine among the cognoscenti, check out the Hayes Valley neighborhood and its Absinthe Brasserie & Bar.”

Edited by Charles Pearson