Charleston Off-Topic

Spartan

I can't read it without signing up for a membership. Is there any way to avoid that?

Yes. UP recommends using BugMeNot as a way to get around those pesky membership things. It works great. I use it regularly. If you use Firefox you can get an extension that allows you to access it via a context menu which save you from having to go to the site first.

• 4 weeks later...

:w00t: All I can say is...incredible. The highest price ever paid for a house on the DT peninsula was raised ever higher with the price being $6.1 million, shattering the previous record by about $1 million. The house is a national landmark: the William Gibbes house on 64 South Battery Street. The properties there are basically the anchor for the increasing real estate prices in the metro area.

Home on peninsula sells for a record $6.1 million

And it was bought by a local :P

According to the Charleston Trident Association of Realtors, 27 homes in that area sold for $2 million or more last year, compared to five such transactions in 2001.

That is just crazy! There are over 100 million dollar+ homes for sale on the peninsula.

Edited by MikesLogic

• 3 weeks later...

The City of Charleston currently has about 110,000 residents. However, by 2007 we plan to reach our goal of 854,000 persons.

Anyone know why this "fact" is on the city of Charleston's web site? They would have to issue about 300,000 building permits this year to meet that goal. :P

Actually Mike, according to the mayor's city address last week, the city has more than 115,000 currently. Could you post the link where you found that "fact"? I've been looking for it in many different places, and I have yet to see it.

Needless to say, that is a little....odd. :wacko: Chas would have to annex the north city, Mt. P, all of the tri-county area, Georgetown County, and Horry County! :lol:

LOL, PLEASE tell me they mean 854,000 in the metro. Otherwise, I dunno.....

Not even their metro will reach that number by next year. It will reach between 600,000 and 700,000 by 2010. The census bureau projects the Columbia MSA will continue to increase its lead over Charleston-N. Charleston's and have about 120,000 or so more by 2030.

Not even their metro will reach that number by next year. It will reach between 600,000 and 700,000 by 2010. The census bureau projects the Columbia MSA will continue to increase its lead over Charleston-N. Charleston's and have about 120,000 or so more by 2030.

I'm sorry, but I doubt those numbers. The significant infill projects and building boom which Chas is starting to have will dilute those numbers. The only way Cola will continue to have a lead is by taking in more counties, which it seems like they will do. Chas may take in 2 small counties (Colleton and Clarendon), but they won't have as significant impact until another 10-20 years from now. That alone will offset the MSA difference by 2030, contrary to what the bureau is saying. Cola MSA may be growing, but Chas has a higher growth rate...it is either the fastest or 2nd fastest next to MB in the state. This trend is not indicating a slow-down, either.

I'm sorry, but I doubt those numbers. The significant infill projects and building boom which Chas is starting to have will dilute those numbers. The only way Cola will continue to have a lead is by taking in more counties, which it seems like they will do. Chas may take in 2 small counties (Colleton and Clarendon), but they won't have as significant impact until another 10-20 years from now. That alone will offset the MSA difference by 2030, contrary to what the bureau is saying. Cola MSA may be growing, but Chas has a higher growth rate...it is either the fastest or 2nd fastest next to MB in the state. This trend is not indicating a slow-down, either.

We'll still have to wait and see how many of those beach mansions are permanent residences as opposed to Bostonians' vacation spots. There's no study saying that bodies are moving to the Charleston area at any faster a pace than they are moving to the Columbia area. The census bureau projects Richland County's population will remain ahead of Charleston County's, and that Lexington County's will remain much larger than Dorchester or Berkeley's. Kershaw's is projected to remain more populous than Colleton's. Northeast Richland has the fastest-growing zip code in the state. And Southeast Richland, much of which is newly annexed into Columbia, is about to boom big time with urban village development. Infill development in Columbia is also booming.

We'll still have to wait and see how many of those beach mansions are permanent residences as opposed to Bostonians' vacation spots...

If you take a look at the Chas Developments thread, you will see these are not vacation subdivisions or beachfront homes. These are residences for working people. And not to crack on Cola, but Noisette and Magnolia are the largest urban infill project in America. The infill itself will bring almost 15,000 homes into already an already populated area. NE Richland maybe the fastest growing zip code (and that's debatable if you take a look at how Mt. Pleasant has transformed in 5 years), but the entire metro area of Chas is the fastest growing MSA.

It really bothers me when people think that just because Chas has tourism, they automatically assume every development is a vacation home. Look at the economic indicators. Chas is projected to bring in the most jobs in the entire state...etc, etc...this is not the quaint historic town that used to be dwarfed by Cola in the 60s and 70s.

I don't have a link for it because I'm not a member, but to further enhance Charleston's status, the city was rated as the #1 Southern city in Southern Living Magazine's Readers' Choice Awards. Check out the February 2006 issue. Not only did Chas win the city category, but it also dominated winning 1st and 2nd place awards for dining and shopping, respectively. Only Atlanta beat Chas for the shopping...well, it can't beat Atlanta because of its selection and variety, but it is a little hard to beat a city whose metro area is several million! :P

When you're looking at Columbia and Charleston's growth, you have to loko beyond county lines. Yes, the ORS projects that Richland County will remain at a higher population than Charleston. However, you also have to conside where the growth is occuring.

Charleston's growth is primarily in Dorchester and Berkeley Counties. The growth that is occuring in Charleson County is not all beachfront homes, because there is no significant beachfront left to develop. Maybe on IOP, but thats it. The vast majority of developments are suburban style.

Columbia's growth is split between Richland and Lexington Counties, which also contains the core of the metro area. So yes, Richland will have a larger population, but you have to take that into consideration with a larger portion of the larger metro area.

Also, looking at the state's projections, ecen if Charleston takes in those two other counties, it will still remain about 40,000 below Columbia by 2030.

I think we should also consider how the urbanized area will work out. Charleston's could very easily outpace Columbia, since it is more compact in nature.

When you're looking at Columbia and Charleston's growth, you have to loko beyond county lines. Yes, the ORS projects that Richland County will remain at a higher population than Charleston. However, you also have to conside where the growth is occuring.

Charleston's growth is primarily in Dorchester and Berkeley Counties. The growth that is occuring in Charleson County is not all beachfront homes, because there is no significant beachfront left to develop. Maybe on IOP, but thats it. The vast majority of developments are suburban style.

Columbia's growth is split between Richland and Lexington Counties, which also contains the core of the metro area. So yes, Richland will have a larger population, but you have to take that into consideration with a larger portion of the larger metro area.

Also, looking at the state's projections, ecen if Charleston takes in those two other counties, it will still remain about 40,000 below Columbia by 2030.

I think we should also consider how the urbanized area will work out. Charleston's could very easily outpace Columbia, since it is more compact in nature.

Columbia has more available land close in and URBAN is the big buzzword among leaders and developers here.

Corgi, I know you love Cola and all, but Chas is poised to outgrow it. And the URBAN infill projects you're referring to pale in comparison to the Noisette and Magnolia projects. I've been looking at website for the developer of the Magnolia project. Here is an article that I found for it which hasn't been posted on UP. Here's a quote:

The project will, eventually, bring an estimated 60,000 people - about the same number as live on the Charleston peninsula now, developer Robert Clement III said.
And that's just the Magnolia project, alone.

We're getting into community cheerleading again, and it's getting tiresome... :whistling:

Charleston's advantages are that it already has a dense downtown area, with two relatively big projects that will bring in lots of residents over the next few years. However, don't underestimate the Bull Street project in Columbia, which will feature 167 single-family homes and cottages, 285 town homes, 561 condos and apartments, and 165 live/work units. That's not small potatoes.

But I really wouldn't hold my breath either way. We all know that in the past, projects have been proposed and never saw the light of day. I'm not suggesting that this will happen for Noisette or Magnolia in Charleston or CanalSide or the Bull Street project in Columbia, but it IS a possibility to consider. So we'll really just have to play the waiting game. I'm just glad to see both cities (as well as Greenville) prospering. A win for either, or all, is a win for our great state. :thumbsup:

Edited by krazeeboi

well my own eyes tell me that Charleston is growing at a faster clip. teh Post and courier recently did a story that showed 113,000 homes under construction orin proposed devleopment. The lions share of that growth will be in Berkeley county and in Dorcehster County outisde Summerville. My only thing is that with housing costs rising so sharply in Charleton, there has to be a dampening effect on people moving here.

Also, CharlestonNative is right, although the Bob McNairs of the world continue to build mutli-million dollar homes on Kiawah, the majority of newcomers are regular joes from every walk of life.

There are great things happerning in Columbia, and truth be told, i would rather be there, you can't deny what taking place on the coast. Folks from Cola and Greenville need to come down and take a look around. YOu might be suprised.

Both cities are seeing lots of development, just in different ways. Its not really which one will outdo the other. Charleston has a lot more wasteland to fix up, but Columbia has a lot more empty lots to redevelop. Its all a matter of perspective. Either way both citeis are well poised to take advantage of their relative situations. I am more concerned about Columbia though, because Cayce and West Cola are still in the heart of the metro area, but are not in the same city. I am wondering how this will play out in terms of development and density.

Corgi, I know you love Cola and all, but Chas is poised to outgrow it. And the URBAN infill projects you're referring to pale in comparison to the Noisette and Magnolia projects. I've been looking at website for the developer of the Magnolia project. Here is an article that I found for it which hasn't been posted on UP. Here's a quote:

And that's just the Magnolia project, alone.

We're getting into community cheerleading again, and it's getting tiresome... :whistling:

Extra, extra, read all about it. Today's Post and Courier has an article about the area's lack of regional planning (no, not Charleston) and escalating housing costs, quoting one spokesman as saying it's going to get to where "we won't be able to live here." I have lived in Columbia 22 years, all the while reading and hearing people's comments about booming growth elsewhere, but Columbia has kept outgrowing the elsewheres. The new economy promises to dramatically change the face of the entire Midlands region, with Columbia as the centerpiece. We'll really just have to wait and see where more people live by 2010 and then 2020, and so on.

Hey Corgi, I read the article, and it was dealing with Summerville and complaints by the residents there. The fact is desireability, economic strength, and levels of growth actually spur real estate prices to escalate. Chas MSA has all those indicators, and there are no signs of a decline. There will be a slow-down of course, but a hot place to live will have these kinds of problems talked about in the article.

The area does need regional planning, which is why I'm such a strong proponent of Chas and N. Chas merging. ;) That would definitely increase the ability to regionally plan.

Hey Corgi, I read the article, and it was dealing with Summerville and complaints by the residents there. The fact is desireability, economic strength, and levels of growth actually spur real estate prices to escalate. Chas MSA has all those indicators, and there are no signs of a decline. There will be a slow-down of course, but a hot place to live will have these kinds of problems talked about in the article.

The area does need regional planning, which is why I'm such a strong proponent of Chas and N. Chas merging. ;) That would definitely increase the ability to regionally plan.

Oh, ok. The article referred to it as the Charleston area. When are you moving back there?