Charleston Off-Topic

Spartan

• 2 weeks later...

I had to attend an architecture thesis presentation of a grad student here a Clemson today. All of their topics were Charleston. Anyway, one presenter has a graphic of the new bridge with the charleston skyline. The image was suppose to represent the future of charleston and show growth and where the city is headed and why flood control was necessary and protecting the marshland... Anyway the graphic had been edited to add skyscrapers to Charleston. I must say that it looked VERY cool. I wish I had a camera with me at the time to share it with yall. So, I thought I'd share and I must say that if Charleston ever builds tall buildings downtown that they would make GREAT skyline shots with the bridge.

i was reading an article in the lastest copy of the crbj about how tourism is up in chas due to katrina. however one lady said that next year her group would return to new orleans because it is a more diverse city. to her she felt chas was a white rich man's city. kinda of sad statement imo. makes me wish chas was more edgier.

Edited by tablrock

I read that article too, and I think her statement was incredibly racist. She obviously didn't venture to the East Side, the Neck, or the lower half of the north city. If she can't see the beauty that the historic DT has to offer, then she is either blind or is biased favoring New Orleans. Chas is more genteel than NO, anyway. It is a different culture there than in NO, and this is a reality of almost every city in the US.

If she favors NO, fine, that is her right and perogative. However, you can't please everybody, and her remarks are just another example of this fact in life. Other people who visit Chas love it, probably more than I would as a visitor!

Though I've never lived in either, I did live close to New Orleans for several years and would frequent the city. Now that I live in SC I frequent Charleston and I must say, Charleston is far nicer than New Orleans! Charleston has managed to be both fun and genteel and maintain an air of dignity. There were times in New Orleans when I wondered if I would be able to deal with watching one more person "hurl" on the street. If you want to party hard, New Orleans is/was your place. Beyond that, Charleston beats it in every way. :thumbsup:

N.O. more diverse than Charleston? I would think in that regard, both cities are near similar. Not that Charleston (or practically any other city) is innocent, but at least Charleston hasn't kept a significant portion of its Black population in concentrated poverted over several years. Just as you cannot judge the entire city of N.O. based on the Garden District or French Quarter, you cannot judge the entire city of Charleston simply based on downtown or any downtown district alone.

Edited by krazeeboi

...Not that Charleston (or practically any other city) is innocent, but at least N.O. hasn't kept a significant portion of its Black population in concentrated poverted over several years...

:huh: Don't you mean "Chas hasn't kept a significant portion of its Black population in concentrated poverty over several years"?

But it's so funny that a resident of New Orleans would say that POST-Katrina. What "edge" that city had is now in Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, etc. All of a sudden AFTER Katrina did many of them act like they were tired of the crime, the blighted areas, etc., but their city is becoming an over-gentrified Seaside, Florida as we speak. New Orleans as we once knew it is no more.

But it's so funny that a resident of New Orleans would say that POST-Katrina. What "edge" that city had is now in Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, etc. All of a sudden AFTER Katrina did many of them act like they were tired of the crime, the blighted areas, etc., but their city is becoming an over-gentrified Seaside, Florida as we speak. New Orleans as we once knew it is no more.

'Tis true . . NOLA is/will be the largest gentrification in the history of the U.S.

i was reading an article in the lastest copy of the crbj about how tourism is up in chas due to katrina. however one lady said that next year her group would return to new orleans because it is a more diverse city. to her she felt chas was a white rich man's city. kinda of sad statement imo. makes me wish chas was more edgier.

they obviously haven't put much thought into what NO will be in about 10 years.....

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, Im not sure where to post this, so I figured here should be good. :thumbsup: I was searching through skyline pictures and came upon this one of Charleston. Thought it was good enough to post.

^Yup, good old (sort of old) Waterfront Park. I'm surprised they didn't include the fishing pier in the photo though. That's the best part of the park (IMHO).

Edited by lsgchas

• 1 month later...

After operating in the red for a little while (I forget exactly how long, maybe 2-4 years or so), the SC Aquarium is now turning a profit.

I agree with Spartan; I don't think the GA Aquarium is having much of an effect, if at all.

well, I wouldn't celebrate just yet. They operated in the black this past year thanks to some large contributions. But I agree, the Atlanta aquarium probably has no effect on the SC Aquarium.

Well, I'd say it would affect the SC aquarium. School groups used to take field trips to Charleston to see it... i did. But I'd rather go to Atlanta's. So, even if no other area in the state changes their trips from Charleston to ATL, I'd say that the upstate would. We're closer to ATL and it's newer and bigger. And there's a lot of kids from the upstate. But who knows...

And if you've seen Georgia's then why waste your time in Charleston, with so many other things to do, go and see our smaller version?

Like Spartan said, most people don't go to Charleston JUST to see the aquarium; it's usually something to do among many other things. There are several things that Charleston offers to tourists that Atlanta can only dream about.

Also, I'm not totally sure the Upstate schools would start visiting Atlanta's aquarium over Charleston's for the simple fact that Charleston's aquarium is South Carolina's aquarium. So it would depend on what the focus would be. Truth be told, although Atlanta's aquarium is newer and bigger, it wasn't really anything to go "goo goo" over. I like New Orleans' better. And I haven't been back to the one in Charleston since it was 100% completed.