Charleston Off-Topic

Spartan

What was arguably one of the biggest biker events in the southeast ( The Heritage Motorcycle Rally)has been shut down by its founder who blames an inability to find event insurance because of the misbehavior of a few bikers. Insurance costs have risen astronomically to the million dollar range in recent years due to altercations at previous Heritage Motorcycle rallies. The North Charleston/Ladson areas will loose the money the event was expected to generate with around 150,000 guests. Also cancelled were top billings such as Marshall Tucker Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, .38 Special, Montgomery Gentry, Smashmouth and REO Speedwagon. With insurance costs being so scarce and high and backers being at least $800,000 in the hole it is unclear if this is the end of the 5 year event in the Lowcountry.

post-12130-1174020402_thumb.jpg

post-12130-1174020663_thumb.jpg

post-12130-1174020713_thumb.jpg

Edited by SimCity

^ This was a great disappointment. Although I'm not a biker fan, I think some of their events draw great concerts and give the host city good publicity. This will hurt Chas in its standing among bikers...who have great income to spend in the area.

That's very true, I also understand that the area's reputation with bikers was already kind of dubious due to law enforcement and policy crackdowns, especially within the city of Charleston.

• 3 weeks later...

Chartleston certainly has two extremes when it comes to transportation costs. On one hand we have some of the highest airfare prices in the nation but on the other hand Charleston has been ranked in a national survey as having the cheapest gas prices in the nation. In this state I've always seen Columbia and Greenville as having cheaper gas than Charleston. :dontknow:

I always thought the same thing but there are a lot of stations in the Charleston metro that are fairly cheap, the ones along the main routes are expensive and few in comparison

You're very correct about that. I can think of several metro roads that have a relative lack of gas stations considering their extensive length. Central Rivers Ave, middle and upper Dorchester Rd and Hwy 17 in Mt. Pleasant and West Ashley immediately come to mind. The gas stations that these roads do have tend be very high like you said, especially in Mt. Pleasant. On the other hand St. James Ave. in Goose Creek has very cheap gas stations, Especially the Little Cricket, Wal-Mart and Hess. Red Bank Rd. is very reasonable as are the few stations on West Montague Ave and Hwy. 17-A in Summerville.

South Carolina as a whole regularly has the cheapest gas in the nation. But within SC, the Upstate typically has the cheapest gas. Its interesting that its in Charleston this time.

You're quite correct about that, I remember one station in particular, the Spinx on Hwy. 276 in Slater-Marietta, I swore that this station had some of the cheapest gas in SC. Everytime I passed that station I filled up. It was much cheaper than anything in or closer to Greenville.

I've been waiting for Shell to build a gas station in West Ashley for some time since Corner Pantry canceled their contract with them and chose Kangaroo.

I could very well be wrong about this but it seems to me that West Ashley is about built out as far as gas stations go. The only two options I see for new gas stations is to continue to build new ones further and further out (what they are actually doing in fact) or demolish a few houses or businesses closer in to find the neccessary space. I haven't seen that done in West Ashley in a long time.

Indeed. I stopped at one that didnt take cards a few months ago. I left immediately, because I don't ever carry enough cash to fill up my car with gas.

These "throwback' stores are definitely losing a lot of customers by refusing to accept credit and debit cards. I also rarely carry cash and I know that many other people as well don't carry cash in the amounts that was once common.

These "throwback' stores are definitely losing a lot of customers by refusing to accept credit and debit cards. I also rarely carry cash and I know that many other people as well don't carry cash in the amounts that was once common.

I can't stand gas stations that don't have the cc readers at the pump. I never like going into a gas station b/c I'll always wind up buying snack food, and bottled water or pop. I'd much rather swipe the card at the pump, fill up, and be on my way. I carry no more than $20 in my wallet at any time, and usually less. I use the debit card almost everwhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, Charleston ranked 22nd nationally in terms of best air quality in 2006 according to Money magazine.

Thanks for that info, I'm glad that some of SC's natural assets aren't being overlooked. This is one of the benefits of being a midsized city without too much dirty industry.

• 1 month later...

I'm not a huge volleyball fan but this seems to be a pretty big event for the sport so I thought I would mention it here.

2007 AVP Charleston Open

This event will mark the AVP's first appearance in Charleston as the world's top beach volleyball stars come to the Family Circle Tennis Center, June 14-17, 2007. Some 24 teams will compete in both men's & women's competition for a total purse of $200,000, awarding each championship team a check for $33,000. All events will be televised on NBC and/or FOX Sports Net (FSN). The 2007 AVP Crocs Tour includes nine new additions - Miami, FL; Dallas, TX; Glendale, AZ; Louisville, KY; Tampa, FL; Charleston, SC; Long Beach, CA; Boston, MA; and San Francisco, CA. Tickets are available at www.avp.com, and for the first time, fans can view finals on web site.

Wow....the Holy City ranks 3rd worldwide. That's quite a feather in the city's cap!

I wouldn't have thought New York would be so low. And Boulder, CO? I've never heard of anyone going there, much less going there for food. Something's fishy about that list.

Guys, I think the list is in alphabetical order. :P

NYC is then not so low, Boulder not so high, but Charleston not third either. But to be one of the Top 10 -- wow!! :yahoo: