Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

Yes, they are a bunch of losers. I don't even go to the comments page anymore, it's a waste of time. I just love how people from Greenville go on there to bash Columbia, don't they have their own newspaper.

Me neither; they're just a bunch of idiots. I truly believe most of the negative comments are being made by 1 or 2 people. I think Forest Acres Devil is one of them.

Well, anyway, the pics I referred to by googling columbia sc skyline are gorgeous. Columbia is beautifully nestled in a sea of green next to a strong, rocky river.

Those are some nice pictures of Columbia's skyline. Some of the views are breath taking....Notice how the Bank of America tower always seem to get left out.

Yes, they are a bunch of losers. I don't even go to the comments page anymore, it's a waste of time. I just love how people from Greenville go on there to bash Columbia, don't they have their own newspaper.

Apparently, sometimes they get a little encouragement to do so (which I think was largely ignored)... :whistling:

Edited by krazeeboi

Ok I'm not going to argue that columbia is hot, but seriously how can so many people think it is dirty... have they ever even been here. Beyond that though, one midlands school is represented while something like 3 or 4 were from the upstate, the rest being from the low country. How can you take a survey of a state and the cities within the state without giving them equal and proportional representation? ARG!!!

And the one Midlands school wasn't even in Columbia. Columbia itself has 4 traditional colleges/universities and a few seminaries and what have you. I have absolutely no idea why USC wasn't represented in the survey, nor was there any attempt to give a reason. That biases everything for sure. It's possibly because the group knew that Greenville would have just as many negative adjectives on its page as Columbia. After all, Greenville Forward is something of a booster group (nothing wrong with that, every city should have one).

The fact that the largest university in the State, which happens to be in Columbia, was not part of this survey makes it completely worthless. Also, the mere fact that the first word people think about when they think about Columbia is "dirty" shows how biased and bogus this survey is. Of course people in Greenville, mostly Clemson fans, are going to say Columbia is dirty and say their city is beautiful and clean, and I'm sure most have never been here. Not to mention this was done by a boster for Greenville, "Greenville Forward", uh hum. Columbia had no representation what so ever. 4 schools in the Upstate, 1 in Orangeburg, 2 in Charleston, and 1 in the Pee Dee is not representative of the state of SC. What about other schools in other areas like Withrop, USC Aiken, Benedict, Columbia College, Newberry College, Francis Marion, etc... Why would anyone want to spend money on a survey that returns false data? And this one clearly does that. Makes you wonder <_< I like the idea of the survey, but this one has no merit. Perhaps the title should have been "Upstate Student Retention Survey". :rolleyes:

It was actually 5 Upstate schools, and they comprised 73% of the total number of students surveyed. I think it's rather telling also that none of the USC branches were included in the survey, and the 2nd largest school in the USC system is in the Upstate. I don't think that the inclusion of USC or any of its branches would affect the percentage of students who plan to move away from SC after graduation drastically, but obviously more Midlands representation would cause Columbia to score a bit higher on the part about cities desired for relocation and also about the adjectives used to describe the city.

It was actually 5 Upstate schools, and they comprised 73% of the total number of students surveyed. I think it's rather telling also that none of the USC branches were included in the survey, and the 2nd largest school in the USC system is in the Upstate. I don't think that the inclusion of USC or any of its branches would affect the percentage of students who plan to move away from SC after graduation drastically, but obviously more Midlands representation would cause Columbia to score a bit higher on the part about cities desired for relocation and also about the adjectives used to describe the city.

I'll probably get banned for saying this, but it's true: Greenville's boosterism is bogus, they try and spin everything in their direction and will try anything they can to make Columbia look bad. That survey was so ridicuously flawed they should be embarassed to even publish it. The vast majority of the respondents were Clemson students. Carolina and Clemson HATE each other and I don't use that term lightly. There is a tremendous amount of animosity between the 2 schools and especially their fans, so how could you expect anything else from a survey of mostly Clemson students. To them, Columbia = USC and vice versa. It was no accident that a riot almost started in 1902 or 1903 after a Carolina Clemson football game, lol.