Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

This is kind of off topic but I read a post in the N.C. forum and people in north carolina seem to think there part of the Mid Atlantic :rofl: . OMG that was the most funniest thing I ever heard in my life. I use to live in Prince George Co.Md for over 12 yrs and the Mid Atlantic region starts in Northern Va. I know it's off topic but I just couldn't believe what I heard. :rofl:

Well, you know how it works: a place starts to get prosperous, then all of a sudden it isn't Southern anymore (e.g., Florida), as if the two were mutually exclusive. Sure a lot of people are moving to NC, but it's still as country as it can be (and that's not necessarily a bad thing). And all of the natives aren't happy about the "Yankee invasion," either; check out some of the blog commentary on the Charlotte Observer's website.

Edited by krazeeboi

This is kind of off topic but I read a post in the N.C. forum and people in north carolina seem to think there part of the Mid Atlantic :rofl: . OMG that was the most funniest thing I ever heard in my life. I use to live in Prince George Co.Md for over 12 yrs and the Mid Atlantic region starts in Northern Va. I know it's off topic but I just couldn't believe what I heard. :rofl:

Actually.......NC as a whole is southern, but Charlotte as a city isnt as southern anymore, especially going through certain parts of town such as Dilworth, Noda, and SouthPark if you walk into a retail shop you will hear every accent (not just northern but international also) except southern accents........but as far as the Mid-atlantic thing goes, NC isnt considered a part of the Deep South.....the deep south is from SC all the way through to TX......but i guess its not Mid-Atlantic though either

Charlotte is still VERY Southern, despite the neighborhoods you mentioned. Even the NC'ers regard Charlotte as still retaining its Southerness (and some attribute that to the city's proximity to SC, as if Charlotte didn't generate enough Southerness on its own). Atlanta is still very much Southern, and it attracts far more transplants than Charlotte, so you know Charlotte is still Southern. Then you can look at some of the blog titles on the "New Around Town" on the Charlotte Observer's website, designed to help newcomers get adjusted to the area: "Sense of place in Southern literature," "Southern sayings," "Favorite things and more Southern sayings,"Margaret Maron offers a lesson in being Southern,"'Yankee': Slur or term of pride?," etc. Sounds fully Southern to me.

As far as the Deep South goes, that depends on who you're asking. Some consider the Deep South to begin in Georgia, and some include South Carolina.

Has anyone been to HUSH yet? Looks pretty swanky (be sure to check out the photos); reminds me a bit of one of my favorite Atlanta spots, Halo Lounge.

Ahh HUSH, the closest thing to a Nice Big City Lounge that Columbia has to offer. :yahoo: It's great. I was actually there last night, one of my friends was doing a vocal set. They allow performers to come in on Tuesday to do their thing.

The atmosphere is great and I love the interior color choice!

The crowd is usually the professional type, and I'm always surprised at how great the people look. :shades: Its truely a great alternative to the loud and SMOKEY bars and clubs that Columbia currently offers.

Its no where near as smokey as the Blue Martini. :sick:

I suggest you put on your flyest fits (not urban or athletic wear) and go check it out. They even do private parties. Tuesday, and Thursday thru Saturday nights are the highly popular times, but they usually have a nice croud every night.

Oh and best of all the bartenders are not stingy or shadey when making your beverage of choice! :yahoo:

Actually.......NC as a whole is southern, but Charlotte as a city isnt as southern anymore, especially going through certain parts of town such as Dilworth, Noda, and SouthPark if you walk into a retail shop you will hear every accent (not just northern but international also) except southern accents........but as far as the Mid-atlantic thing goes, NC isnt considered a part of the Deep South.....the deep south is from SC all the way through to TX......but i guess its not Mid-Atlantic though either

Charlotte is still VERY southern. Walked into the new C&B Saturday night, and in true southern girl fashion (coming from a girl who spent her first 12 years in PA!) I held the door open for a couple coming in behind me. Not a big deal (to me!) but the lady was flabbergasted and commented "I love Charlotte - the people are so southern and nice!"

:D

random. lol but Anybody realize the huge welcome to COLUMBIA billboard coming into Columbia off of I-77 after you pass Killian and before you pass Providence Northeast. It says something like a great place to visit or something.

I saw it. It looks cool, but I had trouble figuring out what exactly it was advertising. I thought I saw a bottle of Makers Mark in the bottom right hand corner...