Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

Anybody know what's up with the fountain/sculpture in front of the art museum? Has it been installed yet?

The CEO of the City Center Partnership told me that the sculpture is complete, but installation has been delayed until spring because $20,000 still has to be raised (or awarded to the installer or something like that) for it to be installed.

It looks like the Vista's arts district is about to get bigger. Lewis & Clark on Lincoln Street has sold its building and the State Newspaper reports that one of them (Lewis or Clark - I forget which) plans to move his outfit to Huger Street (it doesn't say when or where on Huger). It doesn't say what's going to take Lewis & Calrk's place on Lincoln. Two doors down from Lewis & Clark, a new art gallery named If has just opened, and The State reports that the owner is very well known across South Carolina in art circles. The article quotes someone in Charleston saying how wonderful he has been for the arts community and that she wishes he were in Charleston. He has been in Columbia since at least the 80's and is from the Netherlands. Cameo has moved across the river to Vista West.

Two kitchen and bath design stores are now in the Vista, one next to If art gallery called Distinctive Kitchens and Baths, and one on Huger where One-Eared Cow Glass used to be. It's called Cosa Bella.

...a new art gallery named If has just opened, ...

Can't wait for Wem to create a web site for his new gallery. Think about it. ifart.com :shades:

Oh, and here's a little trivia for you. Remember this? "Only one thing in the world could've dragged me away from the soft glow of electric sex gleaming in the window."

OK. Now: Do you know where in Columbia the soft glow of electric sex gleams??? Heehee. I do NOT mean Two Notch Road.

Stumbled across the 2006 State and Metropolitan Data Book on the Census website. It's a huge PDF file (2006 Data Book), but filled with lots of goodies, will make for countless hours of browsing and statistics juggling. The publication covers all metro and micro areas and their county components and shows population, age, housing units, ethnicity, etc... for 1990-2000 and then 2000-2005. Fascinating to track the differences in patterns in the two decades. Most notable for Columbia area was how Richland population growth rate has increased this decade (about even with Lexington numerically) while Lexington and Kershaw have had a drop off.

Can't wait for Wem to create a web site for his new gallery. Think about it. ifart.com :shades:

Oh, and here's a little trivia for you. Remember this? "Only one thing in the world could've dragged me away from the soft glow of electric sex gleaming in the window."

OK. Now: Do you know where in Columbia the soft glow of electric sex gleams??? Heehee. I do NOT mean Two Notch Road.

Leg lamps?!? Where? :)

Ellen, you must have driven by my house and seen it in the bay window, lol.

lampandboxlarge.jpg

20-inch-lamp-lit_large.jpg

LOL, I gave away the smaller version as a prize at my Bastille Day costume party last July. I thought it would be a good addition as a holiday decoration this year.

It's PERFECT! And all I have is a boring ole tree.

You must stop in for a visit sometime soon - Please do! - I have been here almost two years and know only two neighbors. I'm in the stucco house just down the street and around the corner.

The State newspaper reported yesterday that Midlands schools dominated the statewide math competition the other day. That, coupled with USC's just announced expansion of its engineering school, might bode well for the Columbia area's future. From local schools to USC? From USC to local jobs?

Wow... I must say, browsing the top 25, seeing names like Pasitano, Italy, Te Puia, and then Roach Cam (athough I think Cock Roach Cam might fit a little better... okay bad joke) looks a tad odd. Not to mention I usually don't think of penguins and Columbia SC together.

Thanks for sharing. Always good to see random facts like this.

Edited by GamecockEngineer

I ventured into Columbia on my way back to Rock Hill from back home. The number of cranes dotting the skyline as you enter the city from the Blossom Street bridge is an awesome sight. :shades:

I see the parcel of land on Huger behind McDonald's is for sale, as well as the southwest parcel at Assembly and Gervais. I think the former would be a nice spot for a 4 or 5 screen movie theater. Not sure about the parcel at Assembly and Gervais however. I wonder how two identical plazas with grand fountains on both of those parcels would work. That would certainly make for a nice "Gateway to the Vista" effect.

I also see that the building on Gervais that was being stripped (I think it's next to the green Columbia Supply Co. building) had a sign in the window that said something about "Gervais Place LLC" which I'm guessing is the company doing the remodeling and such. What's supposed to go there?

Hey guys, I might be taking a short trip to Columbia soon.

I was wondering if the State House was open for tours at this time of year. If so, what are the hours?

Yes the state house is open this time of the year. Open Monday-Saturday. Mon-Fri I think tours and walk arounds are from 9am to 5pm. Saturday hours change I am not sure. Note make sure you have nothing in your pockets when you center the building. You can enter from left side of the Geroge Washington Satute there will be a little brass sign saying public entrance. Also you should see if a Columbia forumer is free give you a true tour of Columbia.