Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

Yes the state house is open this time of the year. Open Monday-Saturday. Mon-Fri I think tours and walk arounds are from 9am to 5pm. Saturday hours change I am not sure. Note make sure you have nothing in your pockets when you center the building. You can enter from left side of the Geroge Washington Satute there will be a little brass sign saying public entrance. Also you should see if a Columbia forumer is free give you a true tour of Columbia.

Thanks, with the New Year and Gerald Ford's death, I wasn't sure if they were taking a day off for eitheer of those. It's a sort of hobby of mine to visit the state house if I'm ever in a state capital.

I'll make sure to bring back plenty of pictures for my friends in Columbia here :).

Edited by ironchapman

I came across some interesting info about the economic impact of the aviation industry in SC. The stats on commercial airports were enlightening, as they don't seem to correlate with ridership numbers. It seems as though CAE ranks third in the state (behind Charleston and Myrtle Beach) for total employment, total payroll, and total output. That report can be found here (PDF file, relevant stats are on page 10). I guess the FedEx Southeastern regional hub gives the airport a nice boost.

I came across some interesting info about the economic impact of the aviation industry in SC. The stats on commercial airports were enlightening, as they don't seem to correlate with ridership numbers. It seems as though CAE ranks third in the state (behind Charleston and Myrtle Beach) for total employment, total payroll, and total output. That report can be found here (PDF file, relevant stats are on page 10). I guess the FedEx Southeastern regional hub gives the airport a nice boost.

It's the UPS regional hub. And with that being at the airport, I would think it should rank first in employment even if it does rank lower in passenger boardings. Would be nice to see this UPS regional grow into a full scale hub like Louisville. :thumbsup: Thanks for the report. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I know, I just thought it was surprising that the city ranked that high even then, especially considering that Columbia wan't exactly a hotspot of the Civil Rights movement. I would have thought that Birmingham, Jackson, Memphis, etc. would have ranked higher. I just thought it was an interesting factoid.

Oh I know, I just thought it was surprising that the city ranked that high even then, especially considering that Columbia wan't exactly a hotspot of the Civil Rights movement. I would have thought that Birmingham, Jackson, Memphis, etc. would have ranked higher. I just thought it was an interesting factoid.

That is interesting; I wonder how those rankings would look today. I live in an almost evenly racially-mixed neighborhood and there are quite a few neighborhoods in town like that although there are some that are not very mixed.

I am going to plan a trip to Columbia in the next few months. As a Columbia native and an artist, i want to begin looking for a second home there. In the city of course and something suitable for living and working as an artist. I don't even know what kind of budget I have yet, but I am interested iin Columbia Forumers ideas on where to look for live/work spaces/loft/studio, etc. I was considering just a condo, but since I seem to be doing lots of painting, I will want paint whenever there as well.

More exposure for Columbia. Kinda off topic but US Airways will profile the Columbia area in its May edition of the on-board magazine it gives out to more than 5 million fliers per month. The article in US Airways Magazine is being prepared with the help of Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce, the Columbia Metropolitan Convention & Visitors Bureau and the city of Columbia. So this should be nice. Anything to get our name out there. It's seems like more and more i'm starting to hear Columbia's name out there. The momentum is building............

I am going to plan a trip to Columbia in the next few months. As a Columbia native and an artist, i want to begin looking for a second home there. In the city of course and something suitable for living and working as an artist. I don't even know what kind of budget I have yet, but I am interested iin Columbia Forumers ideas on where to look for live/work spaces/loft/studio, etc. I was considering just a condo, but since I seem to be doing lots of painting, I will want paint whenever there as well.

I've heard rumors of a Vista development that just might be right up your alley. Stay tuned for more. :) When do you plan to buy?

There's some good stuff on the kilns here:

http://www.riverventure.org/columbia/index.html

You have to go down the river aways, but they are just to the right of the Blossom Street bridge. There's also a lot of good info on sites around the river, too.

What a great map....It's shows the entire Columbia skyline. I can't wait for some of the projects to take off and the map is updated.