Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

There is the Confederate 'Relic' Room in the State Museum, which is essentially the Confederate Museum. There is some sort of weird rule that requires the 'relic' moniker stay with the name there. Its acutally a pretty cool musuem, lots of interesting atrifacts from that time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have any of you guys been submitting stuff to Wikipedia for the Columbia, South Carolina entry? I wasn't expecting to find such an informative and complete entry. It even has a section about urban renewal. ...And if I'm not mistaken that's Matt's skyline pic up there! :)

Hey!!! That IS my picture and they even credited it on the enlargement! The funny thing is I've had 2 people in the last week (1 from a convention being held in Columbia and 1 from a Columbia Int'l community website) say they wanted to use my pictures. Not bad for a rank amateur who isn't even a photographer, huh? :shades: Thanks for finding that, EM.

Edited by waccamatt

Hey!!! That IS my picture and they even credited it on the enlargement! The funny thing is I've had 2 people in the last week (1 from a convention being held in Columbia and 1 from a Columbia Int'l community website) say they wanted to use my pictures. Not bad for a rank amateur who isn't even a photographer, huh? :shades: Thanks for finding that, EM.

You should take some pictures from the 9th Street bridge in West Columbia. Take one from the left end, the middle and the right end and merge them.

I noticed that both of those pics on wikipedia were yours matt. I'm glad people have approached you about the skyline pics. Before yours I would always see the same lame skyline pic from finley park. It would piss me off because I was like man Columbia has a much larger skyline than what was shown! Like I said that photo is my gold standard for skyline pics of Columbia. It should be on the homepage of UP I've seen a saturation of Greenville pics on there?

Greenville has some dedicated photographers (like RestedTraveler et al.) that put a lot of effort into showing off their city. These photos are uploaded to Flickr which the homepage pulls images from. If any of you want to sign of for Flickr and the UP photogroup (which is free and easy to do) share some photos of Columbia (which would be awsome) you can click here: UrbanPlanet.org group on Flickr

Edited by Spartan

Thanks! I'll be sure to do so!

On another note though, since it is bowl season do any of you remember when USC wanted to host the "Palmetto Bowl" but the event got shot down b/c Holtz wanted the stadium for post season training. Wow what a bone headed move. The New Orleans Bowl is playing tonight on TV and even though it's the New Orleans bowl it would still be great if Clum would have landed that game for national exposure sake anyway. Oh well?

Thanks! I'll be sure to do so!

On another note though, since it is bowl season do any of you remember when USC wanted to host the "Palmetto Bowl" but the event got shot down b/c Holtz wanted the stadium for post season training. Wow what a bone headed move. The New Orleans Bowl is playing tonight on TV and even though it's the New Orleans bowl it would still be great if Clum would have landed that game for national exposure sake anyway. Oh well?

Too bad. That would have been EXCELLENT exposure for Columbia and South Carolina.

I know about a year ago there was talk about Columbia holding a first/second round NCAA tourney game because of the success of the Colonial Center, however this won't happen until the NCAA lifts its ban on the state, or until the state removes the confederate monument/memorial at the statehouse. So basically no bowl games or tourneys in SC ever.

I know about a year ago there was talk about Columbia holding a first/second round NCAA tourney game because of the success of the Colonial Center, however this won't happen until the NCAA lifts its ban on the state, or until the state removes the confederate monument/memorial at the statehouse. So basically no bowl games or tourneys in SC ever.

maybe one day s.c. will see that the flag hurts us more than it helps us. Im tired of going out of state and when asked where i'm from the first thing people say is the state with the confederate flag on the state house!!! Even states with a more racist history down us for this!! This flag make our state seem pretty backwards. Like were still in the 1800's.