Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

Here's something interesting regarding our earlier discussions (arguments) about city/urban area/county population growth within the Columbia and Charleston regions. The Census Bureau numbers released today show that from 2004 to 2005, Richland County ranked 5th in the state compared to Charleston County's 8th place ranking in population growth, and 10th in the state compared to Charleston County's 14th place ranking in growth percentage. Richland County's population during that same period reversed a trend and edged Lexington County's - 4,481 to 4,411. Lexington County ranked #6 in both of the aforementioned growth categories. Charleston County's increase during that period was 2,965.

Ok, so Charleston County outgrew Richland County by 1,091 people from 2000 to 2005, but Richland County 'bout doubled up on Charleston County in growth from 2004 to 2005. Could this be from a combination of a booming Richland Northeast, a Southeast Richland beginning to take off and the wave of new and renovated housing in the city of Columbia?

It could be with all the in-town developments in Columbia plus the developments in the northeast and lower richland is starting to become the next norhteast

Wow...York County grew alot....They grew almost the same amount as Greenville County and G County is about 3 times larger

Edited by sonofaque86

Here's something interesting regarding our earlier discussions (arguments) about city/urban area/county population growth within the Columbia and Charleston regions. The Census Bureau numbers released today show that from 2004 to 2005, Richland County ranked 5th in the state compared to Charleston County's 8th place ranking in population growth, and 10th in the state compared to Charleston County's 14th place ranking in growth percentage. Richland County's population during that same period reversed a trend and edged Lexington County's - 4,481 to 4,411. Lexington County ranked #6 in both of the aforementioned growth categories. Charleston County's increase during that period was 2,965.

yeah but Dorchester County was 5654 and Berkely was 2808. This is where the growth is because of better schools and cheaper housing....similar to the NE and Irmo areas of Columbia.

yeah but Dorchester County was 5654 and Berkely was 2808. This is where the growth is because of better schools and cheaper housing....similar to the NE and Irmo areas of Columbia.

I saw that, but my comment had more to do with the possible beginning of a reversal of the trend of moving farther out in the Columbia MSA, with Richland outgaining Lexington, and more of the growth in Charleston's MSA occurring out in the neighboring counties.

I saw that, but my comment had more to do with the possible beginning of a reversal of the trend of moving farther out in the Columbia MSA, with Richland outgaining Lexington, and more of the growth in Charleston's MSA occurring out in the neighboring counties.

I see I said...that IS a good trend..

This is my thousanth post! It's been one helluva road but I'd like to thank everyone for your support! Mr Anderson who used to drive me to icerink at 6 o'clock in the morning, Mrs. Kennady who made a man out of me, and of course RCDC(Richland County Dept. of Corrections) for giving a drunken college kid home for the holidays a place to sleep it off :thumbsup:

Edited by The_sandlapper

I'm new to this board. I am relocating to Columbia from Raleigh in the next two months. I love the city and am excited about being a new resident.

I wanted to see if anyone knows of any good churches in the Columbia area. I'm not really into the traditional church or the cheesy contemporary suburban megachurches. Looking for a progressive community that believes in serving others. Any ideas?

I'm new to this board. I am relocating to Columbia from Raleigh in the next two months. I love the city and am excited about being a new resident.

I wanted to see if anyone knows of any good churches in the Columbia area. I'm not really into the traditional church or the cheesy contemporary suburban megachurches. Looking for a progressive community that believes in serving others. Any ideas?

If you're into church and want one that is not judgmental but focused on serving the community and respecting individual conscience but not too far out there, you can't beat Washington Street United Methodist Church at Washington and Marion downtown.

Welcome to Columbia, Ema; I can't give you much info on churches, but if you need to know anything else, just ask. What part of town are you looking to move to?

Sometimes the people at The Columbia Star baffle me. They have a story about the South Financial HQ expansion in Greenville in the Business section, but for some reason they have it entitled, South Financial Group bypasses Columbia for Greenville campus . I'm not understanding how you can bypass a city that wasn't even an option? Furthermore, it's not as much of a HQ relocation as it is an expansion. The headline might as well have read, "South Financial Group bypasses Atlanta (or Nashville or Charlotte or Dallas) for Greenville campus."

You guys will see this on the news tomorrow... The evacuation sirens for the V.C. Sumner nuclear plant sounded tonight just before 2:30AM. I was just getting home from hanging out with a buddy of mine when they went off. I woke my wife and we busted out of here quick like! All I took were the clothes on my back and my laptop (sad!!). I called 911 from the car and they hadn't heard anything yet, so we drove to Dutch Fork High - where they tell you to go for decontamination or whatever they do to you there when that stuff happens. We were the first ones there ... gates were locked, no authorties, etc. Then the phone rang and it was the 911 dispatcher telling us it was a false alarm. My skin isn't burning off, so I guess that's the truth.

I can't get back to sleep, so I figured I'd post this. :)

Sometimes the people at The Columbia Star baffle me. They have a story about the South Financial HQ expansion in Greenville in the Business section, but for some reason they have it entitled, South Financial Group bypasses Columbia for Greenville campus . I'm not understanding how you can bypass a city that wasn't even an option? Furthermore, it's not as much of a HQ relocation as it is an expansion. The headline might as well have read, "South Financial Group bypasses Atlanta (or Nashville or Charlotte or Dallas) for Greenville campus."

It was written by John Temple Ligon. He lives to berate Columbia. He does opinion journalism in all of his articles. He is unable to write a news article without injectioning his opinions into them. He is one of Columbia's biggest naysayers. Of course, I'm sure he would claim he is just trying to make the city better.

It was written by John Temple Ligon. He lives to berate Columbia. He does opinion journalism in all of his articles. He is unable to write a news article without injectioning his opinions into them. He is one of Columbia's biggest naysayers. Of course, I'm sure he would claim he is just trying to make the city better.

Ah, I see. Then maybe he should move elsewhere?

EM, was it fun? LOL

I didn't know that Columbia was in the running.

You guys will see this on the news tomorrow... The evacuation sirens for the V.C. Sumner nuclear plant sounded tonight just before 2:30AM. I was just getting home from hanging out with a buddy of mine when they went off. I woke my wife and we busted out of here quick like! All I took were the clothes on my back and my laptop (sad!!). I called 911 from the car and they hadn't heard anything yet, so we drove to Dutch Fork High - where they tell you to go for decontamination or whatever they do to you there when that stuff happens. We were the first ones there ... gates were locked, no authorties, etc. Then the phone rang and it was the 911 dispatcher telling us it was a false alarm. My skin isn't burning off, so I guess that's the truth.

I can't get back to sleep, so I figured I'd post this. :)

Weird! How many people showed up before you went home? I hope that never happens to me in Clemson. I'm not 100% sure where my checkpoint is. I think its in Greenville. Scary stuff though.

Ah, I see. Then maybe he should move elsewhere?

EM, was it fun? LOL

He moved to Charleston a few years ago and wrote his articles from there, comparing Columbia to Charleston and going on and on about the latter. Then he moved back to Columbia. Not sure why.

He moved to Charleston a few years ago and wrote his articles from there, comparing Columbia to Charleston and going on and on about the latter. Then he moved back to Columbia. Not sure why.

I think he missed the place he loves to hate. I wonder if TEMeteron is Temple Ligon in disguise? :shades:

Edited by waccamatt

^LOL.

Well, I'm hoping that Carolina's men's basketball team can make history, becoming the 2nd team in NIT history to win back-to-back championships. So far they're off to a great start.

It was an awesome game last night, wasn't it? (other than the clock operator) If we beat Cincinnati tomorrow night I just might make the trip to NYC next week.

Sorry, new to the board - I posted my reply on the wrong message.

I recommend the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Columbia as a progressive religious community.

Web site: http://www.chaliceweb.org/uufc/

Lots of USC faculty and staff are members.