Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

Oh, it wants you to register. Well, it's only a short blurb and not an article so I will post the content. It is from an entertainment column from a columnist with the Charlotte Observer:

Rain, rain go away. There's a music festival in Columbia and I want to go play!

What's up party people, welcome to another week of Paid to Party: Hump Day. The rain is a party killer, but my grass and flowers need it. I hope it clears out by the weekend. I'm heading to Columbia, S.C., on Friday for the three-day Three Rivers Music Festival.

I haven't been in a couple of years, but I'm looking forward to it. Aretha Franklin, George Clinton, Earl Klugh, Shinedown and Hinder are performing on four stages. Three Rivers is the most eclectic outdoor music festival in this area and it offers something for everyone: blues, jazz, funk, rock, country and bluegrass. It's $35 for a three-day pass, or $20 per day. www.3riversmusicfestival.org/tickets.htm. Check the Paid to Party blog for daily updates starting Friday night.

This weekend, Columbia is hosting the International Downtown Association convention--as a matter of fact, Columbia is the smallest city to ever have hosted one, and next week, the national Fuel Cell conference will be held at the convention center. Great back-to-back national and international exposure for the city.

This weekend, Columbia is hosting the International Downtown Association convention--as a matter of fact, Columbia is the smallest city to ever have hosted one, and next week, the national Fuel Cell conference will be held at the convention center. Great back-to-back national and international exposure for the city.

What an awesome weekend for the convention to be here, with Three Rivers going on. Welcome to the IDA! (some of my pictures were in their convention brochure) :)

It's a great weekend for the whole state, as Greenville also has a major festival going on through tomorrow (Sunday) night. Thousands of visitors in from around the region and dozens of top notch artists from around the nation. Next weekend is the annual BMW Charity Pro Am (PGA Nationwide Tour) which will bring many celebrity faces to SC and includes the red carpet walk of fame in front of the Westin Poinsett Hotel on Main Street. Also next weekend is the '06 Datastream Worldwide Users Conference in Greenville, bringing more people in from around the globe. With the quality of the festivals and conferences in Columbia and Greenville right now, I expect the rate of growth to continiue to rise in our state's largest cities over the next few years. I am extremely excited for Columbia, Geenville, Charleston, and Myrtle Beach, each showing the World South Carolina is a great place to live! :shades:

^I would, but seriously, Columbia doesn't compare to Atlanta's skyline... yet.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed the sheer height of the crane for the Hilton when crossing the Blossom Street Bridge. It appears like it will completely hide the state house from that angle

It shouldn't, the hotel is only 8 stories and is down the hill from the state house.

As most residents of Cola would naturally vote. In terms of actual size, height, design, and variation, several other cities have Columbia easily beaten, IMO. But if I lived in Cola, I would have probably voted for it as well. ^_^

Well, maybe Greenville will have a skyline one day and can be in such a poll. :)

Well, maybe Greenville will have a skyline one day and can be in such a poll. :)

Today's State has a pretty good shot of the Columbia skyline on the front page, but I wish the Capitol Centre would keep more lights on 24/7. Maybe I'll call the building manager. That building would look really cool with exterior lighting treatment.