Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

Today's State has a pretty good shot of the Columbia skyline on the front page, but I wish the Capitol Centre would keep more lights on 24/7. Maybe I'll call the building manager. That building would look really cool with exterior lighting treatment.

I agree about the lights. In that shot, the Wilbur Smith tower was totally hidden by the Capitol Center.

1. Greenville is not a state capital, so there is no way it could be included in that thread.
  2. Greenville does have a skyline and to deny that fact is pure ignorance.
:rolleyes:

Well, a pseudo skyline...but it's a start. The Greenville news' website tries to show a skyline, but the dominant feature in their front page pic is an interstate.

:D

Hey , I enjoyed this poll ! I think you can have argument with several of the Southern Capital Cities. Atlanta has the edge for sure. But the density of Richmond is impressive as well. I think Columbia has a nice Skyline for a city it's size. Many Southern Capital cities continue to see there Skylines grow ! Austin, Nashville, Raleigh,etc.

It's easy to brush-off the current dull/bland Skyline of Baton Rouge. But that's about to change. 2006 is a watershed year for Downtown BR, with the River Place Condo's at 30-stories, City Plaza II 20-stories,and Laurel Tower at 19-stories will dramatically change the Skyline. Add three 10+story bldgs(including new Courthouse) for density and you will have a legit-Skyline to match the tallest State Capitol Bldg. in the U.S. at 34 stories; 450' ft. Throw in the Bridge over the Mighty Mississippi River and a newly designed Riverfront.

Edited by richyb83

Well, don't expect anything truthful about Greenville from BryC. If you read this post, you'd understand. As I said, it is pure ignorance to deny Greenville has a genuine skyline, regardless of your feelings about the city. :rolleyes:

There are just as many Greenvillians who prefer to live in ignorance about Columbia too. This is indeed a Columbia thread. Greenville is a fine city, but lets keep it on topic.

Well, don't expect anything truthful about Greenville from BryC. If you read this post, you'd understand. As I said, it is pure ignorance to deny Greenville has a genuine skyline, regardless of your feelings about the city. :rolleyes:

And don't expect anything but immature and underhanded "digs" at Columbia disguised as compliments from Skyline. But it's ok...his constant preoccupation with Columbia and his attempts to inject Greenville into EVERY Columbia discussion are an indication of a big inferiority complex...one that I think I'd have as well if I lived in upstate SC. :)

And don't expect anything but immature and underhanded "digs" at Columbia disguised as compliments from Skyline. But it's ok...his constant preoccupation with Columbia and his attempts to inject Greenville into EVERY Columbia discussion are an indication of a big inferiority complex...one that I think I'd have as well if I lived in upstate SC. :)

:) Bry states the truth; why does greenville have to pop up in seemingly every Columbia thread?

Actually, everyone should realize that my reading and posting in the Cola forum shows that I have an interest in what happens there. My perspective is from a person living in Greenville, so should be understandable that I comment on the similarities between our cities, while replying to a discussion. ;)

BryCola wrote this recently and I thought it necessary to point out after he made an inaccurate comment on Greenville:

And for the record, no I did not read the article...I couldn't care less about Greenville, so have no interest in reading an article about it. That's why I've never once visited the Greenville forum.

No harm intended.

Columbia rocks too. :thumbsup:

Must be your opinion, which you're entitled to, and I am fine with accepting as such. No need to blast us at every turn though, since Greenville is not at all what it once was, just as Columbia is making tremendous strides to improve its image. We're all in this together for the best of the entire state. I seem to be the only one saying this though... :rolleyes:

Must be your opinion, which you're entitled to, and I am fine with accepting as such. No need to blast us at every turn though, since Greenville is not at all what it once was, just as Columbia is making tremendous strides to improve its image. We're all in this together for the best of the entire state. I seem to be the only one saying this though... :rolleyes:

Ok Skyliner...I'll agree to a truce. :) There always will be competition among the big 3 in SC...but I'll refrain from taking digs at the upstate. (but only if you'll do the same for Columbia...always a condition, huh?) :)

Edited by BryCola

Still no post on the Charleston forum about the area's 17.5% decline in existing home sales last month. Looks like the speculation-based boom might be coming to an end. I don't dare post this in the Charleston forum. I chose "Columbia off topic." I know it's waaayyyyyyyyyy off topic. Does anyone see Columbia's housing market taking a nose dive like that? Could it happen here?

Still no post on the Charleston forum about the area's 17.5% decline in existing home sales last month. Looks like the speculation-based boom might be coming to an end. I don't dare post this in the Charleston forum. I chose "Columbia off topic." I know it's waaayyyyyyyyyy off topic. Does anyone see Columbia's housing market taking a nose dive like that? Could it happen here?

It could; but Columbia rarely has a "boom or bust" scenario exist.

I wonder how the IDA convention went last weekend.

Seems like Columbia has another big weekend ahead of it, this time arts-related. At least four arts events are occurring in the city this weekend, including Artista Vista gallery walk, S.C. Watercolor Society Annual Exhibition, Congaree Art Festival, and Accessibility Columbia. You also have the Main Street/Historic Columbia Foundation tour that will be going on. In all, there will be 100 artists on 20 sites located throughout the city. Not bad. Someone should go take some pictures. ;)

I wonder how the IDA convention went last weekend.

Seems like Columbia has another big weekend ahead of it, this time arts-related. At least four arts events are occurring in the city this weekend, including Artista Vista gallery walk, S.C. Watercolor Society Annual Exhibition, Congaree Art Festival, and Accessibility Columbia. You also have the Main Street/Historic Columbia Foundation tour that will be going on. In all, there will be 100 artists on 20 sites located throughout the city. Not bad. Someone should go take some pictures. ;)

:whistling:

Hey guys...I know you all will be like what in the world...But there's this huge thing called "facebook" for college students and high school students...And there is this group that I'm in on the website for people from Columbia calle "Metro's Finest"...And here's some things to know you from the Metro...I know most of ya'll are older and can't relate but it still seems pretty funny. lol.

U know u from the old school Metro If.......

1. U remember or ever been on the Mr.Knozit show.

2. U remember May Fest or Kids Day at Finley Park.

3. U know where Finley Park is.

4. U know the song "You Damn Right" by Mr. Flip.

5. U remember the First ever Rush's that was located on Broad River.

6. U remember when Jermaine O'Neal was in high school.

7. U remember going to Red Wing Rollerway for birthday parties.

8. U remember the God Father's Pizza by Columbia Mall.

9. U remember when Columbia Mall was the best mall.

10.U remember when Spring Valley and Richland North East were the only highschools in district two.

11.U ever ate Bojangles.

12.U know not to be on Broad River Road during rush hour(5pm) on weekdays.

13.U ever been Frankie's Fun Park.

14.U ever been to Zesto's.

15.U ever been to the Christmas Parade downtown.

16.U remember the first Sams's Club Richland Hospital

17.U remember when Michael Jackson was being treated at Richland Hospital.

18.U remember when we had the Capitol City Bombers.

19.U remember when 101.3 the Big DM was the best radio station.

20. U remember going to Cub Whispers on Two Notch Road.

22. U remember when Krispy Kreme Donuts was on Main Street.

23. You remember Cromer's in Dutch Square Mall!

24. U remember when Phoneix Movies was called something different.

25. U remember going to Red Wing Rollerway house parties growing up.

26. U remember when Polo movies was open.

27. U remember when Columbia Mall was a hang-out spot on weekends.

28. U ever went to your high school rivals football or basketball game.

29. U ever been to Bjs (Banana Joes).

30. U know where all the malls at.

31. U remember when the State Fair was fun growing up.

32. U know who collard greenz and Piazo is

U know u from the old school Metro If.......

1. U remember or ever been on the Mr.Knozit show. check

2. U remember May Fest or Kids Day at Finley Park. check

3. U know where Finley Park is. check

4. U know the song "You Damn Right" by Mr. Flip.

5. U remember the First ever Rush's that was located on Broad River. check

6. U remember when Jermaine O'Neal was in high school. Ha I played against him, Ray Allen, Lenord Johnson, and BJ Mackie.

7. U remember going to Red Wing Rollerway for birthday parties. check

8. U remember the God Father's Pizza by Columbia Mall.

9. U remember when Columbia Mall was the best mall. check

10.U remember when Spring Valley and Richland North East were the only highschools in district two. check

11.U ever ate Bojangles. Still do

12.U know not to be on Broad River Road during rush hour(5pm) on weekdays. check

13.U ever been Frankie's Fun Park. check

14.U ever been to Zesto's.

15.U ever been to the Christmas Parade downtown. check

16.U remember the first Sams's Club Richland Hospital check (I remember when it was an old drive in theater)

17.U remember when Michael Jackson was being treated at Richland Hospital.

18.U remember when we had the Capitol City Bombers. Ha, check

19.U remember when 101.3 the Big DM was the best radio station. check

20. U remember going to Cub Whispers on Two Notch Road.

22. U remember when Krispy Kreme Donuts was on Main Street.

23. You remember Cromer's in Dutch Square Mall! check, and DT too

24. U remember when Phoneix Movies was called something different.

25. U remember going to Red Wing Rollerway house parties growing up. check

26. U remember when Polo movies was open. check

27. U remember when Columbia Mall was a hang-out spot on weekends.

28. U ever went to your high school rivals football or basketball game.

29. U ever been to Bjs (Banana Joes). check

30. U know where all the malls at.

31. U remember when the State Fair was fun growing up. check

32. U know who collard greenz and Piazo is