Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

U know u from the old school Metro If.......

1. U remember or ever been on the Mr.Knozit show.

2. U remember May Fest or Kids Day at Finley Park.

3. U know where Finley Park is.

4. U know the song "You Damn Right" by Mr. Flip.

5. U remember the First ever Rush's that was located on Broad River.

7. U remember going to Red Wing Rollerway for birthday parties.

8. U remember the God Father's Pizza by Columbia Mall.

9. U remember when Columbia Mall was the best mall.

10.U remember when Spring Valley and Richland North East were the only highschools in district two.

11.U ever ate Bojangles.

12.U know not to be on Broad River Road during rush hour(5pm) on weekdays.

13.U ever been Frankie's Fun Park.

14.U ever been to Zesto's.

15.U ever been to the Christmas Parade downtown.

16.U remember the first Sams's Club Richland Hospital

17.U remember when Michael Jackson was being treated at Richland Hospital.

18.U remember when we had the Capitol City Bombers.

19.U remember when 101.3 the Big DM was the best radio station.

23. You remember Cromer's in Dutch Square Mall!

24. U remember when Phoneix Movies was called something different.

25. U remember going to Red Wing Rollerway house parties growing up.

26. U remember when Polo movies was open.

27. U remember when Columbia Mall was a hang-out spot on weekends.

28. U ever went to your high school rivals football or basketball game.

30. U know where all the malls at.

31. U remember when the State Fair was fun growing up.

32. U know who collard greenz and Piazo is

All me...lol...I still have the tap of me on the Mr. Knozit show...hehe

Oh, the Krispy Kreme on Main SOOOOO reminds me of being in school at USC. We used to go there when the sweet tooth hit. As for why they moved it...I think they just needed a bigger store. It was a small, very old building. Why they didn't just rebuild on Main, I don't know.

I used to live in Cottontown in the late 80's and early 90's and that Krispy Kreme was my favorite place (other than IHOP) to go on my way home from Matrix or The Edge. (dance club back then)

The old Krispy Kreme building is a funeral home now; talk about a change in use!

:shades:

Edited by waccamatt

Oh, the Krispy Kreme on Main SOOOOO reminds me of being in school at USC. We used to go there when the sweet tooth hit. As for why they moved it...I think they just needed a bigger store. It was a small, very old building. Why they didn't just rebuild on Main, I don't know.

Krispy Kreme moved so that they could have a drive though most likely. I am not from Columbia, but I can check off quite a few of those items :)

I have never heard of Finley Park though.

I think I may remember the monkeys at Cromer were they in a glass cage as you entered the store? Also with Finlay Park I always thought it started out as Sydney Park and then it was changed to Finlay about 2 years after it opened? I do remember Mayfest there though! My sister said it stopped once it started turning into Columbia's version of freak-nik. She went to one of the last ones the ever had.

Edited by The_sandlapper

I got a good one!!! Do anyone remember the old krystals that was on Elm wood ??? And do anyone remember when there use to be a big water sliding board that was located on Two Notch by Columbia Mall in the mid 80's.

I remember both; the water slide was called the Zoom Flume! Does anyone else remember when Andy's Deli in 5 Points was a Lums hot dogs? They were steamed in beer and they were the absolute best.

This might be a hard one...does anyone remember the giant slide (not water slide, just regular slide) on Knox Abbot Drive on the way to the airport? It was just down from where the Honda dealership is now. You sat on something like a potato sack to slide down. This is going WAY back...and I only barely remember it.

This might be a hard one...does anyone remember the giant slide (not water slide, just regular slide) on Knox Abbot Drive on the way to the airport? It was just down from where the Honda dealership is now. You sat on something like a potato sack to slide down. This is going WAY back...and I only barely remember it.

I vaguely remember it; about the way I remember there was a Shakey's Pizza there on the way to the airport and another one near where Columbia Place is now, lol.

Indeed.

I also read something about the US Youth National Championship Games coming to Columbia sometime in the near future, but I couldn't find the article for it.

This is what I was speaking of. It comes from the Columbia Star:

U.S. Youth Games

Oliver Washington , national coordinator for the board of directors, counted 1,300 participants coming to Columbia for the US Youth Games this summer. He added another 500 parents to the 1,300, and he cited about $2 million in economic impact.

Hey guys...I know you all will be like what in the world...But there's this huge thing called "facebook" for college students and high school students...And there is this group that I'm in on the website for people from Columbia calle "Metro's Finest"...And here's some things to know you from the Metro...I know most of ya'll are older and can't relate but it still seems pretty funny. lol.

U know u from the old school Metro If.......

1. U remember or ever been on the Mr.Knozit show.

2. U remember May Fest or Kids Day at Finley Park.

3. U know where Finley Park is.

4. U know the song "You Damn Right" by Mr. Flip.

5. U remember the First ever Rush's that was located on Broad River.

6. U remember when Jermaine O'Neal was in high school.

7. U remember going to Red Wing Rollerway for birthday parties.

8. U remember the God Father's Pizza by Columbia Mall.

9. U remember when Columbia Mall was the best mall.

10.U remember when Spring Valley and Richland North East were the only highschools in district two.

11.U ever ate Bojangles.

12.U know not to be on Broad River Road during rush hour(5pm) on weekdays.

13.U ever been Frankie's Fun Park.

14.U ever been to Zesto's.

15.U ever been to the Christmas Parade downtown.

16.U remember the first Sams's Club Richland Hospital

17.U remember when Michael Jackson was being treated at Richland Hospital.

18.U remember when we had the Capitol City Bombers.

19.U remember when 101.3 the Big DM was the best radio station.

20. U remember going to Cub Whispers on Two Notch Road.

22. U remember when Krispy Kreme Donuts was on Main Street.

23. You remember Cromer's in Dutch Square Mall!

24. U remember when Phoneix Movies was called something different.

25. U remember going to Red Wing Rollerway house parties growing up.

26. U remember when Polo movies was open.

27. U remember when Columbia Mall was a hang-out spot on weekends.

28. U ever went to your high school rivals football or basketball game.

29. U ever been to Bjs (Banana Joes).

30. U know where all the malls at.

31. U remember when the State Fair was fun growing up.

32. U know who collard greenz and Piazo is

:yahoo: Hey I help write some of that...I'm on facebook. Does anyone remember the Krystals that was at the corner of two notch and parklane, in front of K-Mart? I wrote a good bit of that, looking back at it. I clearly was bored.

This is what I was speaking of. It comes from the Columbia Star:

Hey the youth games! I competed in that from the age of 11-15. Those were some fun summers! It was cool because it was like a mini-olympics with teams usually from all across the US. Columbia had a notorious track team back then, we would rival with Birmingham, New York City for the national championship! It was great because we would travel to all these different cities each year to compete! We went to Boston, Patterson, NJ, DC, Philly, Atl,. Columbia hosted it a couple of years after I was to old to compete in it. It was cool learning experience because it helped shape my views on people from other cities that just because they are from NY and talk with a "funny" accent that didn't make them any better at what they did than me. It felt great reppin, "C-O-L-U-M-B-I-A, Columbia of yes cause we are the best"! ;)

Sanford to veto LMC heart center

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/14486317.htm

This article isn't exactly monumental news. But the first thing I thought when I read the headline is that the legislature will override the veto anyway, so they will be starting construction pretty soon. I do respect Sanford's decision to not allow the law to be changed for one pet project. I guess we'll see if it sticks this time.

• 3 weeks later...