Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

I wonder why so many people in Columbia, Mo. are looking up Columbia, S.C.?

Is that what it means? I figured the redness on the map around Columbia MO indicates the degree to which the city of Columbia, MO influences that part of MO. Its influence is probably more along the lines of what Florence SC's would be in the PEE DEE if Florence was the same size it is now and just happened to be where the University of SC is, being that MO University is in Columbia MO and Columbia MO is around the same size as Florence.

Is that what it means? I figured the redness on the map around Columbia MO indicates the degree to which the city of Columbia, MO influences that part of MO. Its influence is probably more along the lines of what Florence SC's would be in the PEE DEE if Florence was the same size it is now and just happened to be where the University of SC is, being that MO University is in Columbia MO and Columbia MO is around the same size as Florence.

That might be how it works - I thought the site was rather confusing.

I haven't seen this discussed...but what do y'all think about the Grrreenville Grrrowl going out of business? (who comes up with these silly names in Greenville?...the Grrrowl, and now the Drive) Is this a sign that minor league hockey in SC is a hard sell? The Columbia Inferno must be doing ok...they're moving into a brand new arena in the near future. I assume Lexington County is paying for most of the arena, although I don't know the details...but I couldn't imagine a new 6,000 seat arena being built unless the team is doing well. Once the Rottweilers are up and running...and HOPEFULLY a double A baseball team down the line, we could be doing very well in professional sports.

I haven't seen this discussed...but what do y'all think about the Grrreenville Grrrowl going out of business? (who comes up with these silly names in Greenville?...the Grrrowl, and now the Drive) Is this a sign that minor league hockey in SC is a hard sell? The Columbia Inferno must be doing ok...they're moving into a brand new arena in the near future. I assume Lexington County is paying for most of the arena, although I don't know the details...but I couldn't imagine a new 6,000 seat arena being built unless the team is doing well. Once the Rottweilers are up and running...and HOPEFULLY a double A baseball team down the line, we could be doing very well in professional sports.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Florence's team is moving to Myrtle Beach, so at least it is staying in state. And as you stated, the Inferno must be doing relatively well to be building a new facility. Not sure how the Stingrays are doing down in Charleston; since I haven't heard anything, I guess they're staying afloat.

It would be cool to have an arena football team at the facility in Lexington County along with the Inferno.

WoW, didn't know that either!!! Are they relocating else where.

WoW, didn't know that either!!! Are they relocating else where.

No, they're not relocating...they just don't exist anymore. The article I read say that the owner of the Grrrowl turned the franchise back in to the ECHL office. It said the team had unpaid bills, and employees didn't receive their last paycheck. Here's the article. http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/606020338

This is the 3rd minor league sports team to go out of business in Greenville recently. The Rhinos arena football team, and the Groove NBA development league team both closed their doors within the past few years. People like to say sports besides Gamecock sports will always struggle in Columbia because everyone is so college sports crazy. Maybe Greenville has this problem more so than Columbia. I read a post on the Greenville forum that said if it's not church or college football, it won't do well in the upstate.

Columbia is only averaging 6 more people per game than Greenville Grrrowl. I hope their new arena draws crowds, otherwise they could eventually (in a few years) be without a team to play there. Charleston does better than Cola and Greenville in attendance.

Now wouldn't it be ironic if the team left Greenville for another city, built a new facility that opened to rave reviews, and all of a sudden the residents of that city took that as a sign that their city was more "progressive" and had better civic leadership than Greenville? It's interesting how people think sports teams is the ultimately sign of progress. It helps as far as options are concerned, but that does nothing to ensure more or proper growth for the metro nor does it necessarily raise the standard of living in a city.

Edited by krazeeboi

Columbia is only averaging 6 more people per game than Greenville Grrrowl. I hope their new arena draws crowds, otherwise they could eventually (in a few years) be without a team to play there. Charleston does better than Cola and Greenville in attendance.

I wonder what the difference is between the Grrrowl (did I use the right number of 'r's? LOL) and the Inferno. Same attendance numbers, yet the Inferno seem to be doing well, especially to be building a new facility. It must have something to do with the venues that both play at.

Now wouldn't it be ironic if the team left Greenville for another city, built a new facility that opened to rave reviews, and all of a sudden the residents of that city took that as a sign that their city was more "progressive" and had better civic leadership than Greenville? It's interesting how people think sports teams is the ultimately sign of progress. It helps as far as options are concerned, but that does nothing to ensure more or proper growth for the metro nor does it necessarily raise the standard of living in a city.

Thanks, but I assure you things are not nearly as desperate in Greenville as you suspect. Of course they're not too shabby in Columbia either. ;)

Its by all the people moving here from up north wondering what all the fuss is about for the tasteless white stuff, lol. I've lived in Columbia for 34 of my 42 years and I've still not developed a taste for the stuff. People tell me you have to put butter and bacon and salt and pepper in them, but I'm like "I'll just eat the bacon if I have to do all that!" :P

I wonder what the difference is between the Grrrowl (did I use the right number of 'r's? LOL) and the Inferno. Same attendance numbers, yet the Inferno seem to be doing well, especially to be building a new facility. It must have something to do with the venues that both play at.

People drink more beer at games in Columbia than they do in Greenville. :lol:

Thanks, but I assure you things are not nearly as desperate in Greenville as you suspect. Of course they're not too shabby in Columbia either. ;)

Oh I'm not expecting that scenario to happen at all (nor do I think Greenville's situation is "desparate"--it's a quite common scenario actually), but I think it would be very ironic if it happened.

Its by all the people moving here from up north wondering what all the fuss is about for the tasteless white stuff, lol. I've lived in Columbia for 34 of my 42 years and I've still not developed a taste for the stuff. People tell me you have to put butter and bacon and salt and pepper in them, but I'm like "I'll just eat the bacon if I have to do all that!" :P

Grits are da bomb! :D

OK, what's the deal with City Club? Is it completed or under construction?

Also on the Columbia Development Corporation website, there is this rendering with the caption, "CDC and the City of Columbia are working with Greenville developer Windsor/Aughtry Company to create a new hotel and residential condominium." Anybody know what's up with this? This isn't in reference to the convention center hotel, is it?

CDC_FutureProjects_lg.jpg

Also on the Columbia Development Corporation website, there is this rendering with the caption, "CDC and the City of Columbia are working with Greenville developer Windsor/Aughtry Company to create a new hotel and residential condominium." Anybody know what's up with this? This isn't in reference to the convention center hotel, is it?

That is an old item; before Windsor Aughtry decided to develop the Hilton they had been looking into developing another hotel in the Vista and possibly an associated condominium. I believe they put their eggs in the Hilton Egg Basket instead.

P.S. CDC does a terrible job of updating their website.

Edited by waccamatt

City Club is under construction. The building that is being renovated is windowless right now and they are framing all the walls inside for the condos. The entire rest of the block is graded and has had the infrastructure put in and is now at the foundation pouring stage for the townhouses.

The Columbia Development Corporation's information is about the old Columbia Supply Company's site that is now in the middle of an environmental cleanup from when oil or something used to be stored there. That lot is where the hotel will be built, and the development will include the Columbia Supply building, I assume renovated, and the big white building that they are currently blasting the white paint off of at Lincoln and Gervais. They started the blasting on the side of the building at the back and are working their way up to Gervais. The new kitchen store in the front of that building has a zoning sign in their window for fast food service, and there is also a zoning sign for the same thing on the side of the building. I'm not sure if the kitchen store wraps around or whether the second zoning sign is for another business. The entire project, including the hotel and the soon-to-be brick building, has been promoted as a new focal point of the Vista. It will share the alley with the Dupree Building and Rhino Room.

City Club is under construction. The building that is being renovated is windowless right now and they are framing all the walls inside for the condos. The entire rest of the block is graded and has had the infrastructure put in and is now at the foundation pouring stage for the townhouses.

The Columbia Development Corporation's information is about the old Columbia Supply Company's site that is now in the middle of an environmental cleanup from when oil or something used to be stored there. That lot is where the hotel will be built, and the development will include the Columbia Supply building, I assume renovated, and the big white building that they are currently blasting the white paint off of at Lincoln and Gervais. They started the blasting on the side of the building at the back and are working their way up to Gervais. The new kitchen store in the front of that building has a zoning sign in their window for fast food service, and there is also a zoning sign for the same thing on the side of the building. I'm not sure if the kitchen store wraps around or whether the second zoning sign is for another business. The entire project, including the hotel and the soon-to-be brick building, has been promoted as a new focal point of the Vista. It will share the alley with the Dupree Building and Rhino Room.

Hey, wait a minute. The rendering didn't come up until after I had written my reply. That rendering looks like it would be something completely different from what I wrote about. And the more I think about it, I think the project I wrote might be a Ben Arnold project. Can anyone set me straight? At any rate the project by the Dupree Building is under development, including a one-year environmental clean-up period.

OK, I remember that now, that was the big development announced by Ben Arnold, wasn't it? There are so many things being built in the Vista right now its hard to keep up with them. Is City Club the development across from the State Museum on Gervais Street? The old buildings have been destroyed and the old State Department of Budget and Control Building is moving along in renovation. They don't appear to have started construction of the other condos yet on that property. I think they are still clearing the debris from the smaller buildings that were torn down. I need to go down there and take some pictures.