Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

Am I the only one that hates seeing all these useful threads cluttered with bickering and bantering lately? Save the drama for your mama! :P

For the sake of our visitors and to keep the site as useful and informative as possible, we should use this off-topic thread for that stuff... if we have to do it at all. I'm no fun, right? :)

Edited by emerging.me

Is it just me, or has the roof of the Carolina Coliseum been painted? Doesn't look faded anymore. It looks like they are giving Williams-Brice a nice coat of paint as well. The huge light structures are going to be super white (at least that's what it looks like driving down Rosewood)

Is it just me, or has the roof of the Carolina Coliseum been painted? Doesn't look faded anymore. It looks like they are giving Williams-Brice a nice coat of paint as well. The huge light structures are going to be super white (at least that's what it looks like driving down Rosewood)

I drove by WB the other day, and the lights AND ramps are being painted. Looks SOOO much better. I was getting tired of the lights being a rust color, and the ramps being a mildew color. :)

As for the roof of the coliseum...that was painted about 2 years ago. It was looking VERY faded prior to that...the paint job made a huge difference to that building.

I drove by WB the other day, and the lights AND ramps are being painted. Looks SOOO much better. I was getting tired of the lights being a rust color, and the ramps being a mildew color. :)

As for the roof of the coliseum...that was painted about 2 years ago. It was looking VERY faded prior to that...the paint job made a huge difference to that building.

Yeah, those rust stains were gross.

2 years ago huh? Oops :blush:

I was listening to the Andy Thomas radio show today, and he had some Lexington County official on (didn't get his name). Andy asked the guy about the Columbia Farms chicken plant, which is located on PRIME riverfront property right across from downtown. The guy said that the plant is a blight on the river, and the county has been working with them to get them a new location. He said something should be happening within 6-8 months. VERY good news...and I hope he's right.

^That's extremely exciting. I'm sure the people who live in that highrise next to it would greatly appreciate their relocation, along with the rest of us.

I've always been amazed that people even bought condos in that building; the river view is nice, but it has the chicken plant next door, that ugly shopping center across the street and a vacant used car lot on the other side of Meeting Street. That lot could be developed into something nice.

^That's extremely exciting. I'm sure the people who live in that highrise next to it would greatly appreciate their relocation, along with the rest of us.

That highrise should be torn down and replaced with a lower building. The rear of it is just a huge windowless chunk of concrete that blocks the view of the Columbia skyline when you drive down Meeting Street in West Columbia.

That highrise should be torn down and replaced with a lower building. The rear of it is just a huge windowless chunk of concrete that blocks the view of the Columbia skyline when you drive down Meeting Street in West Columbia.

I agree that building should go! Really ugly! But I always thought it would be cool for various artist to do art pieces, light projections onto the building to create some amazing images. I saw this done years back on a relatively plain church facade in Florence, Italy, and it was an amazing event! In that case, the images were still photo projections. A large plain sided building would be ideal for a great "light show" or . . . just an idea. I have no idea where people could gather for viewing, but I would fly in to see it if it ever were done! I love Cola! :yahoo:

I agree that building should go! Really ugly! But I always thought it would be cool for various artist to do art pieces, light projections onto the building to create some amazing images. I saw this done years back on a relatively plain church facade in Florence, Italy, and it was an amazing event! In that case, the images were still photo projections. A large plain sided building would be ideal for a great "light show" or . . . just an idea. I have no idea where people could gather for viewing, but I would fly in to see it if it ever were done! I love Cola! :yahoo:

The City of Greenville is working on a permanent laser show with many different features throughout downtown and out to I-85 (to honor Dr. Charles Townes, the father of the laser), so I could imagine Columbia doing something similar. :shades: That would really help catch visitors' attention.

I've always wanted to go to the top of that building. I bet the view of the city is amazing.

As for the plain concrete side of the building, they could project movies onto it and turn the shopping center parking lot across the street into a huge drive-in :rofl:

I've always wanted to go to the top of that building. I bet the view of the city is amazing.

As for the plain concrete side of the building, they could project movies onto it and turn the shopping center parking lot across the street into a huge drive-in :rofl:

:yahoo: Sounds good to me! lol.. a drive-in

Did you know the state newspaper had a big write up on this building a few years ago.. (maybe 5 or more yrs ago )

i remember the article mention the build has only 10 condos, 5 on each side three floors

a peice.. the owners of love's chevolete i think the article said: owned the top floor.. beautiful

pictures were included..

^wonderful news for the city and the area

rant: I was wandering around The State's website today and found the comments on the All-American city award... where do these people come from and why are they so negative towards the city and community? It seems anytime something great happens they just complain complain complain.

rant: I was wandering around The State's website today and found the comments on the All-American city award... where do these people come from and why are they so negative towards the city and community? It seems anytime something great happens they just complain complain complain.

Apparently people from Lexington County or other parts of the state.

It is the same way in The Greenville News. So many people have access to the Internet who shouldn't, IMO. :silly: