Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

Seems like Columbia would be higher. I think states in the East, Midwest and Southeast with all of the humidity would produce an awful lot of sweat. On that list the hottest city I've ever been to is St. Louis. With it's humidity and all of those buildings and concrete the city just cooks in the summer. I would put Columbia right behind St. Louis and probably in the top ten to be honest. I'm suprised Atlanta wasn't higher than it was.

Seems like Columbia would be higher. I think states in the East, Midwest and Southeast with all of the humidity would produce an awful lot of sweat. On that list the hottest city I've ever been to is St. Louis. With it's humidity and all of those buildings and concrete the city just cooks in the summer. I would put Columbia right behind St. Louis and probably in the top ten to be honest. I'm suprised Atlanta wasn't higher than it was.

I see an interesting trend to this list, and your comment. It seems that the sweatiest places I've been often are associated to a wide river basin or valley, where the humidity is high and the air is stifling. I suppose that makes geographic sense as well. ^_^

Here's the link from USC's website.

After thinking about it some more, I think this is a very smart move for USC. Not only will it give the the Moore School of Business and USC in general more exposure, but this makes perfect sense given the corporate nature and size of Charlotte. Who knows, it might result in some long-lasting partnerships between USC and Wachovia and/or Bank of America (or some other corporation). Also, this program is geared towards working professionals meaning that it is very specialized in nature, so I don't think this will distract from the main campus or any of the other branches in any way; if anything, USC will get more shine.

I'm enrolled in the PMBA program at USC. This program is for professionals who want to keep working full-time while still getting a degree through night classes. While the courses will be taught at USC in Columbia, it will be broadcast to other areas around the state and now Charlotte. Students who miss the class can watch the lecture on the internet from anywhere. I believe this is a smart move by USC, since Charlotte is a great market for young professionals looking to get their MBA without giving up their full-time job. They will pay tuition to USC instead of perhaps UNC-Charlotte or some other school in the area. Students enrolled in this program will have to attend two Saturday classes per semester in Columbia. This is definitely positive exposure for USC.

Here's the link from USC's website.

After thinking about it some more, I think this is a very smart move for USC. Not only will it give the the Moore School of Business and USC in general more exposure, but this makes perfect sense given the corporate nature and size of Charlotte. Who knows, it might result in some long-lasting partnerships between USC and Wachovia and/or Bank of America (or some other corporation). Also, this program is geared towards working professionals meaning that it is very specialized in nature, so I don't think this will distract from the main campus or any of the other branches in any way; if anything, USC will get more shine.

Now I wouldn't mind seeing some corporate ties and resources being funneled back to USC Columbia. I just don't want USC to end up as Charlotte's "byatch" and made to jump through a bunch of hoops at the expense of SC tax payers. It's great that we can educate them up there but hey throw us a friggn bone and send some of that brain power back to SC, and I'm not convinced that, that will be the case. Right now it's looking like a satellite school set up to educate Charlotte locals by the best international business school in the country. If NC puts some money into the university then maybe I would look on it more favorablly but now it seems SC my be getting the "dookie" end of the stick. JMO.

Edited by The_sandlapper

Hey guys... we are looking for a house -- *finally* trying to move from the suburbs -- and we just can't find a place that we can afford that feels like home. I mean, I make a really good salary, so I thought... but we just can't afford Shandon and that's the only place that feels right to us. We also kind of like the Avenues, but we're really picky and I refuse to compromise on neighborhood feel and home style... this may take a while, I guess. I am very optimistic about Columbia's future, but I am really disappointed now that we are getting into our home search and there is still no legitimate urban village to be found anywhere. Just blowing off steam...

Edited by emerging.me

Hey guys... we are looking for a house -- *finally* trying to move from the suburbs -- and we just can't find a place that we can afford that feels like home. I mean, I make a really good salary, so I thought... but we just can't afford Shandon and that's the only place that feels right to us. We also kind of like the Avenues, but we're really picky and I refuse to compromise on neighborhood feel and home style... this may take a while, I guess. I am very optimistic about Columbia's future, but I am really disappointed now that we are getting into our home search and there is still no legitimate urban village to be found anywhere. Just blowing off steam...

I know how you feel, EM. I wanted to live in Shandon, also, but I just couldn't afford it. I ended up in Keenan Terrace because the homes are similar for the most part, but less than half the cost. The schools aren't as good as in Shandon, but I've been very happy out here.

Has everyone heard of Glen Back by now? He's a radio talk show host and has a television show on CNN. The other night on his tv show he was in Pittsburgh. It showed the city and then he interviewed a lady from Pittsburgh and asked her what she thought about people from New York, where he's from, and L.A. talking down to people from cities the size of Pittsburgh.

She replied, "Well, New Yorkers have this narcissistic thing going on."

Glen Beck said, "No kidding, like we're the center of the world."

She said, "Well, I just want them to know that this is the real America; cities like Pittsburgh are what this country is all about. And I'll tell you something: people in Pittsburgh are real. They are really great people."

Glen Beck replied, "Yeah, I was in Columbia, South Carolina recently and I got the same feeling there."

Has everyone heard of Glen Back by now? He's a radio talk show host and has a television show on CNN. The other night on his tv show he was in Pittsburgh. It showed the city and then he interviewed a lady from Pittsburgh and asked her what she thought about people from New York, where he's from, and L.A. talking down to people from cities the size of Pittsburgh.

She replied, "Well, New Yorkers have this narcissistic thing going on."

Glen Beck said, "No kidding, like we're the center of the world."

She said, "Well, I just want them to know that this is the real America; cities like Pittsburgh are what this country is all about. And I'll tell you something: people in Pittsburgh are real. They are really great people."

Glen Beck replied, "Yeah, I was in Columbia, South Carolina recently and I got the same feeling there."

I don't agree with his politics, but I like the positive exposure. :)