Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

I think it has official and unofficial nicknames, since Atlanta has about 5 of them listed. At any rate, "the Capital of Southern Hospitality" is Columbia's official nickname. It sure sounds more classy than the "Big Friendly," which was an earlier proposed nickname.

I think it has official and unofficial nicknames, since Atlanta has about 5 of them listed. At any rate, "the Capital of Southern Hospitality" is Columbia's official nickname. It sure sounds more classy than the "Big Friendly," which was an earlier proposed nickname.

The Capital of Southern Hospitality is the official logo of Columbia's City Center Partnership. Columbia Riverbanks Region, Where Friendliness Flows is the branding adopted by the convention and visitors' bureau.

But if South Carolina is synonymous with Southern hospitality, then one could say, "South Carolina is Southern hospitality," and since Columbia is the capital of South Carolina, then it would be the Capital of Southern hospitality.

The Capital of Southern Hospitality is the official logo of Columbia's City Center Partnership. Columbia Riverbanks Region, Where Friendliness Flows is the branding adopted by the convention and visitors' bureau.

But if South Carolina is synonymous with Southern hospitality, then one could say, "South Carolina is Southern hospitality," and since Columbia is the capital of South Carolina, then it would be the Capital of Southern hospitality.

I would prefer to say, "South Carolina is the Capital of Southern Hospitality," as Columbia is no more friendly than the other major metros in the state, IMO, but the state overall is very welcome to visitors of the South. In the Upstate, the Southern Hospitality Group is responsible for bringing many wealthy and famous individuals into our state for various prestigious occasions.

I would prefer to say, "South Carolina is the Capital of Southern Hospitality," as Columbia is no more friendly than the other major metros in the state, IMO, but the state overall is very welcome to visitors of the South. In the Upstate, the Southern Hospitality Group is responsible for bringing many wealthy and famous individuals into our state for various prestigious occasions.

It's just a nickname; no big deal. A capital is simply a place that is representative of the whole. Columbia isn't "more South Carolina" than any other city or town in the state simply because it's the capital. So the city's moniker "The Capital of Southern Hospitality" doesn't mean that the city is necessarily more hospitable than any other place in the South, but it can be a good representative of such hospitality (even though I know you probably vehemently disagree). It's like your approval of Greenville's nickname as the "Can-Do Capital of the World." That doesn't mean that Greenville has necessarily "done more" than any other city out there, but it can mean that the city is a good representative of that attitude.

Plus a nickname like "The Capital of the Capital of Southern Hospitality" just sounds stupid. :)

H1, those pics look more like they're from 1981 instead of 2001. :D

Edited by krazeeboi

It's just a nickname; no big deal. A capital is simply a place that is representative of the whole. Columbia isn't "more South Carolina" than any other city or town in the state simply because it's the capital. So the city's moniker "The Capital of Southern Hospitality" doesn't mean that the city is necessarily more hospitable than any other place in the South, but it can be a good representative of such hospitality (even though I know you probably vehemently disagree). It's like your approval of Greenville's nickname as the "Can-Do Capital of the World." That doesn't mean that Greenville has necessarily "done more" than any other city out there, but it can mean that the city is a good representative of that attitude.

Plus a nickname like "The Capital of the Capital of Southern Hospitality" just sounds stupid. :)

H1, those pics look more like they're from 1981 instead of 2001. :D

Good find with that link Krazee. :)

Columbia's downtown night life has been described in these forums with the phrase "pockets of activity." I was driving around in the Vista, on Main Street and along Sumter Street last night (Tuesday), and I can say that those pockets seem to be very quickly turning into streams. I saw groups of people crossing Assembly and walking up Main and up and down Gervais all the way to Publix. I noticed many of them looking all around, some looking up at buildings. The side streets along Gervais were lively. People were on the State House grounds and some bicyclists were riding around slowly for leisure. Nothing special was going on in town last night. The word just seems to be spreading, and the scene seems to be rapidly building upon itself. I didn't get down to Five Points to see what was going on there.

Last time I checked Miyos was on Main St. Unless it has moved.

I'll take your word for it, but I know that I never saw many people walking on Sumter, north of Gervais St. Except maybe around Baptist and the transit center.

Pretty sure he means, M Cafe... which is operated by Miyos.

There USED to be a Miyo's on South Main...1 block from the State House. Not sure if it's still there or not. M Cafe is still on Sumter. And there is a Miyo's in Harbison as well.

The Miyo's is still on Main south of the State House and M Cafe is on Sumter, Miyos in Harbison and also in Forest Acres. I have this strange urge for Asian food for dinner now, lol.

Any of you guys know about the three-story abandoned building either on Sumter or Bull, with the first two floors boarded up and a message on the front that says something to the effect of "No trespassing, residents only"? It looks like a pretty historic building, and appears to be a great candidate for adaptive reuse.

Any of you guys know about the three-story abandoned building either on Sumter or Bull, with the first two floors boarded up and a message on the front that says something to the effect of "No trespassing, residents only"? It looks like a pretty historic building, and appears to be a great candidate for adaptive reuse.

I can't think of any building on Sumter or Bull where the first two floors are boarded up. That would be something I'd lose sleep over, unless I knew it was very temporary. Need more info and I'll ride by and check it out, then probably report it to the city's inspection department.

I'm pretty sure I know the building your talking about. I used to be a runner at a big law firm downtown, and I remember thinking about what a cool building it could be.

I am familiar with a three story building on Bull near Taylor, next to an Enterprise car rental place, but the two bottom floors aren't boarded up. They have newer windows in them and the third floor has the original windows. I do think I remember seeing a no trespassing/residents only sign there. It's a red brick building with some tile work along the roof line.