Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

That is an excellet editorial. A Half cent sales tax increase is a great idea, but I don't think it would be passed. Richland has a better chance of passing it than Lexington.

I think that what would help Columbia is upgrading some other bus stops from the random sign on a power pole to something more substantial. Then, have routes that do not require a layover at Sumter St. If you live inEau Claire or Parklane and you want to go to Harbison, you have to take the bus downtown first. That makes zero sense to me. I think Columbia is beyond the point that a central hub is necessary.

I would like to discuss problems with parking for events at the convention center (CC) and the Colonial Center.

Last week, I was at CC for a convention and I am in Columbia this weekend for a convention as well. There is DEFINITELY a lack of adequate parking for these facilities.

At the event I attended last week, the parking lot located between CMCC and the Colonial Center was full, so I was directed to park in the unpaved, vacant lot adjacent to Damon's. That area is full of clay dirt, and it wasn't until I had gotten home that I noticed that my (formal) shoes had clay all over them. Furthermore, there is a small parking lot directly in front of the CC that has a wall behind it which separates that lot from the vacant lot I parked in, and it looks pathetic, with overgrown weeds, vines on the wall, etc.--like one might expect a snake to jump out and bite.

Tonight (or at this time, last night), I parked in the SCDOT parking lot directly across from the main entrance to the Colonial Center. While this lot is paved, it also has weeds growing up in the cracks, etc. What's worse, this lot has a small concrete barrier on the ground surrounding it; aside from exiting the lot from the driving entrance/exit point (which can be rather inconvenient), one must walk to the southwest corner of the lot, where there are supposed to be a set of steps to take one safely to the sidewalk; only one "step" exists. Furthermore, it was announced in the Colonial Center that some people were parking in the SCDOT parking deck located on the opposite side of the street between the Colonial Center and the CC; however, as convenient as it is, it is only for SCDOT workers, and anyone else who parks there could have his/her car towed.

I, for one, think it to be unwise and thoughtless on the part of the city to not have an adequate parking plan for these facilities, especially for larger events. While the parking lot south of the Colonial Center and the parking lot between the Colonial Center and the CC are much nicer, they alone cannot handle the need for parking for events of a larger scale. Something really needs to be done about this. I realize that some of these areas will have some sort of development in the near future (research campus, CC hotel), but I think this should be addressed in the meantime.

Hello everyone! I would like to receive some opinions about Columbia, S. Carolina...reason is, my partner and I (gay males) are being transferred to Columbia to Fort Jackson, well he is because he is in the army, but we live together so we both are moving there. However, I wanted to know the welfare of African Americans in Columbia, especially gay African American males. We currently reside in Atlanta, the number one thriving black metropolitan which is also very gay friendly. And even though I am a strickly masculine brother that cannot be clocked unless I am with him, him being somewhat feminine. I just wanted to know how does the community respond. Is the city gay friendly, hell is the city African American friendly and what is there in the city, recreation wise, event wise? Would luv to hear from those of you who have something to say other than negativity geared towards my sexuality and your opinion of it! Thanks

Edited by chauncey

I think waccamatt would be the most qualified to answer your questions (as far as being gay is concerned). He should be arriving shortly. ;)

I find the city to be very welcoming to Blacks. After all, between 1990-2000, the city ranked #10 for net migration of Blacks nationally. I don't think a city that's hostile to Blacks could have achieved that. Recreationally, I think there's plenty to do. There's the Congaree National Forest, the largest contiguous tract of old-growth bottomland hardwood forest remaining in the United States. You can explore the park by foot or canoe. Hiking, camping, and fishing are allowed as well. You also have water-oriented recreation with THREE rivers in the area (the Broad and Saluda rivers merge to form the Congaree river) as well as Lake Murray. For events, the Colonial Center is a great venue; as a matter of fact, Pollstar Magazine

Edited by krazeeboi

I grew up in Columbia and I am "middle class" african american male. If you look at the area statistically it has the largest number of black professionals/ business owners in the state. I grew up in a large black middle class neighborhood. So just like Atl. you will have variety but of course on a smaller level. There are a few areas in Lexington County where things are a little "red", but for the most part I have never spent much time in those places. Other than Columbia I think is alright. Like stated earlier it's probablly the most liberal open minded city in SC, out side of Myrtle Beach IMO.

As far as the gay angle of Columbia I wouldn't know?

I think waccamatt would be the most qualified to answer your questions (as far as being gay is concerned). He should be arriving shortly. ;)

I find the city to be very welcoming to Blacks. After all, between 1990-2000, the city ranked #10 for net migration of Blacks nationally. I don't think a city that's hostile to Blacks could have achieved that. Recreationally, I think there's plenty to do. There's the Congaree National Forest, the largest contiguous tract of old-growth bottomland hardwood forest remaining in the United States. You can explore the park by foot or canoe. Hiking, camping, and fishing are allowed as well. You also have water-oriented recreation with THREE rivers in the area (the Broad and Saluda rivers merge to form the Congaree river) as well as Lake Murray. For events, the Colonial Center is a great venue; as a matter of fact, Pollstar Magazine

Edited by waccamatt

What a load of crap. I'd have a lot more respect for groups like this if I saw them working on the grassroots level in communities trying to help in *real* situations where animals are being negelected or mistreated... instead of making political moves, trying to push their twisted ideology on everyone else.

Go cocks. :)

Edited by emerging.me

Hey... I've got an idea... let's do a major interstate repair and resurfacing project on I-26 & 126 ... let's close two out of three lanes of traffic, have poor signage, little to no police doing traffic control *AND* let's do it all on the weekend that 10,000 students are moving back to town -- driving in on slammed highways and making runs back and forth to Harbison.

Great friggin' idea. :rolleyes:

Hey that sounds like fun! It reminds me of the spur of the moment trips my roomates and I would make to Harbison which for some reason always seemed to happen at 5 or 530 on any given weekday. :D

This is how I came to love Woodhill Mall after it opened. It takes the same amount of time to get there at any given time of the day from campus.

Werent they supposed to start the resurfacing project back in June? I remember hearing about that in April on WIS. I think I even posted that here...

• 1 month later...

I know we spoke about mass transit and the bus situation in Columbia in this thread. An article in The State describes the lack of the support that the DT trolleys are getting, so it seems that trolley service is set to be temporarily suspended for about a year or two, after the Katrina victims get situated in more permanent housing; for now, the evacuees are being shuttled back and forth between their hotel rooms and the relief center on Laurel.

One drawback here is cost. It costs about $600,000 a year for fuel, maintenance, drivers

That is a wise choice. With gas prices high and ridership loiw, it makes sense to cut that service. I hope the transportation t=ax will go thorugh.

i notice the ridership went up on the city buses, i think we should discontinue the use of trolley's until further needed. i read the paper and they planned on cutting back some hours on the weekend because of the gas issues but in away it has helped out because more people are using the city buses. i'm really glad that the buses have extended their services around the city. i couldn't understand for years why the buses never really crossed lexington county. this was a big step for the city of columbia, there is no other city in s.c. with more ridership than columbia! charleston even lost their bus system at one time, and greenville mine as well not even have a bus system, because i never see anyone on there. so that's a plus

:( I've got some bad news...

I have to inform all of my fellow Columbia forumers that you will officially lose a member on Monday, October 10, 2005. I will be moving to Atlanta to celebrate Columbus Day. I'll still butt in here every other day to see whats happening in Cola.

Good luck to you!

:( I've got some bad news...

I have to inform all of my fellow Columbia forumers that you will officially lose a member on Monday, October 10, 2005. I will be moving to Atlanta to celebrate Columbus Day. I'll still butt in here every other day to see whats happening in Cola.

Wow, I wish I could celebrate every holiday by moving somewhere different. :P

I wish you the best!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the offical height is of the Bank Of America Plaza and the newer Meridian building? Emporis and many other skyscraper sites don't have this information. Some state the BOA Plaza is about 93m/305 ft and the Meridian at 76.2m/249 feet, like www.skyscraperpage.com. Is this correct?

I've been seeking this information for a while, short of calling the architect or building administrators.

This was not really a forum type of topic, which is why I posted it here. Hope that's okay!